Author Topic: Camp next to Inverness Airport (Road)  (Read 2269 times)

reto

Camp next to Inverness Airport (Road)
« on: 19:02:15, 31/05/17 »
Hey there

I am just planning a trekking trip starting at Inverness (Airport). The problem is that the only flight connection is the one where I arrive at 22:30 at the Airport. Have checked several Hotels and/or Hostels in Inverness, most only allow to check in till 20 or 22 o'clock. Now I am a bit in trouble what to do the first night :) . Either I have to walk trough the dark and set up my tent the next night or just camp close to the airport alongside the road (small two-man tent, no car). There might be some spots (google street view) which would be ok.

However, even if allowed by law this is what we should not do under normal circumstances. Have you done anything similar and were there any problems? Do you think this would be ok or not? :)

Thanks for any advice!
« Last Edit: 19:13:37, 31/05/17 by reto »

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Camp next to Inverness Airport (Road)
« Reply #1 on: 20:06:52, 31/05/17 »
I don't know Inverness at all but is there a Travelodge or similar nearby, they won't have a deadline for checking in, there are reception staff on duty 24 hours. I bet any hotel will take money off you for a room if you turn up, especially near an airport.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

reto

« Reply #2 on: 21:45:58, 31/05/17 »
Or simply act very slowly at the airport and start walking as twilight is around 03:30 :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:15:04, 02/06/17 »
I had this problem recently at Gatwick. I just found a seat and slept in the airport until the early morning and then caught my train.

Doddy

« Reply #4 on: 12:54:00, 02/06/17 »

I have slept in/near a few airports best to get out of the lounge as they are noisy and very well lit to try and sleep in. Security will be high and dossing down with a backpack will not be greeted I guess.
There is help on the internet e.g sleepinginairports.net. Find out what the policy is at Inverness. For me I would set off and find a place to bivvy in; putting up the tent will attract attention, again I would find a body sized spot in the woods/shrubs nearby and wrap the tent around  me, although I carry a MLD superlight bivy for a my cowboy camping.
No lights or making brews at night as CCTV ranges far and wide these days.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:06:58, 02/06/17 »
I bet you will find a hotel willing to make an exception with their check-in time if you email them and explain the situation.

nigellionhearts

« Reply #6 on: 13:36:04, 02/06/17 »
I Know there is  a campsite on the edge of Inverness town at Bught Park popular with Great Glen Way walkers, taxi and turn up there pitch late which would be my choice...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy