Author Topic: Newb soon to walk PW  (Read 7035 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Newb soon to walk PW
« Reply #30 on: 20:18:08, 26/07/17 »
He is struggling with his current mileage, how does he expect to walk half the distance of the Pennine Way, without considerable effort.
By the looks of things, he will have to let his son down, or contemplate putting off the walk until walking regularly long distances, comes naturally to him.
For the average walker, that could be a very long time.

b*ll*cks as usual  ;D

Remind me DA, when did you last walk the PW?  Or any other LDW?
« Last Edit: 20:21:51, 26/07/17 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 20:37:44, 26/07/17 »
He is struggling with his current mileage, how does he expect to walk half the distance of the Pennine Way, without considerable effort.

Who said that long distance walking didn't require considerable effort? If it was easy it wouldn't be rewarding.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:47:34, 26/07/17 »
Sometimes I read posts where certain members sound like they are trying to put people off walks and I wonder if it's a case of jealousy as they maybe are no longer able to do the longer walks and therefore try and advise people against doing them.  >:(

Give people encouragement and help, that's why they have come here. He obviously knows it will be hard but a little help would be nice.

You'll find that the excitement of actually being on the walk will help you as will the weather if good and also the company you walk with and see on regular occasions on multi day walks.

And, if you feel after a few days you've had enough for whatever reason, you have still done better than all those that talk about doing it but never have.

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:06:03, 26/07/17 »

I think there is quite a difference between doing a lot of miles in one day and walking an LDP.  I can walk 20 miles in a day if I have to but I'd much rather not, and certainly wouldn't like to do it 2 days running.  On the other hand I am quite happy doing 14 - 16 mile days, and can keep that up for 3 weeks,  and you can do most LDPs  like that.
I did the PW when over 60 with a fellow Granny.  We are both reasonably fit, but didn't train that much, as such.  We both reckon that we might not be quite as quick up hills as we were 40 years ago, but we have more staying power.  Yes, some evenings we were a bit tired (the first night nearly dead might be a better way of putting it.)  But we made it, and felt pretty proud of ourselves at the end.  We didn't do any 20 mile days I don't think.  We meant to do the Cheviot ridge in a oner but wimped out when we realised the advantages of spending 2 nights at Forest View.
OK we weren't carrying camping stuff, but we didn't do baggage transfer either.  Carrying a lot of gear might have meant shorter days, but if you are camping and not depending on the next b&b you can make the day as short as you want.  There isn't a time limit after all.
As has been said, some of it is mind over matter.  Actually, I think I would have found the Pennine Way harder at 20 than I did at 60-odd.  And not just because there weren't any slabs on the paths then.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 23:48:31, 26/07/17 »
As a Boy Scout in 1967 ( I think it was), I dropped out of a sponsored Lyke Wake Walk at Ralphs Cross, feigning a knee injury. Truth to tell I was a bit tired and didn't fancy the effort. This comes back to haunt me every now and again even 50 years later :-\. As I said earlier in thread and others have repeated, it is mostly in the head and the head keeps going longest into old age ( well for most of us!). As Slogger points out there are physical upper limits that diminish without regular effort (did a fastish yorkshire three peaks four years ago but couldn't drive the car home afterwards).
I was going to say to Decani that I do think he and his son will comfortably do more than 10 miles per day without pushing these high level pain barriers, even without  lots of training.
I hope mental fortitude is the key as I am starting what I hope to be a 14 day PW a fortnight on Saturday from KY without any practise since May; although I have walked to Tesco a couple of times :D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 06:02:27, 27/07/17 »
Have fun. Hope it's not too hot for you, 14 days will keep you busy  :)
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:37:37, 27/07/17 »
johnnyp wrote
I hope mental fortitude is the key as I am starting what I hope to be a 14 day PW a fortnight on Saturday from KY without any practise since May; although I have walked to Tesco a couple of times

Don't do it! In your condition there is huge risk of failure and then coming on the forum and writing comments about how difficult the PW really is.There is even the risk of ending up in A&E with a sprained eyebrow. ;)

Here again,it might go well as it did for me when my own "training" was a 6 mile walk around a wlidlife park four days before starting the walk.The mental fortitude is enjoying what you do and appreciating being outside in the open spaces.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:45:42, 27/07/17 »
Into the breach and all that O0. btw the forecast has swung from heatwave to very moist in about two days, so will have to carry the flippers too..

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:53:57, 27/07/17 »
Don't do it! In your condition there is huge risk of failure and then coming on the forum and writing comments about how difficult the PW really is.There is even the risk of ending up in A&E with a sprained eyebrow. ;)

;D ;D O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy