Author Topic: Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain.  (Read 5594 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain.
« on: 13:26:23, 06/09/17 »
Just a short trip report. I started out from the end of the Glen Feshie road at Achlean farm and followed the path up Carn Ban Mor.

Looking back to Glen Feshie.

From Carn Ban Mor I crossed the moors to Loch nan Cnapan and walked up Tom Dubh.

Loch nan Cnapan with Sgor Gaoith behind.

After Tom Dubh I dropped down a little bit to get across the stream of Allt Luineag and then climbed Monabh Mor.
[/UR
Beinn Bhrotain from Monabh Mor.

There's just a short down and up again between Monabh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain.
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poHg0ouvj]

Me on the summit of Beinn Bhrotain.

I returned the way I'd come and camped by the Allt Luineag for the night. It got quite windy during the early hours apparently 60mph at automatic weather station on Cairgorm summit, 12km away.

Where ever I lay my hat, that's my home. The beer car stove was a bit of an experiment, not a very good one.

Next day it was still very windy so I just returned to the car and called it a day.   

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain.
« Reply #1 on: 21:22:36, 06/09/17 »
Thanks for the trip report...........most folk on here won't have a clue where you were! Quite sure you didn't pass many walkers.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:16:55, 07/09/17 »
Thanks for the trip report...........most folk on here won't have a clue where you were! Quite sure you didn't pass many walkers.

I'm quite sure you're right there very out of the way even for the Cairngorms. I think I saw half a dozen other walkers all weekend.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:45:38, 08/09/17 »
Nice photos and no, I had no idea where in Scotland it was  :) The Cairngorms is on our list of places we want to go to, thanks for posting  O0

I'm trying to work out what tent you are using, it sort of looks like it could be a trekkertent?
Hate will never win

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:42:55, 08/09/17 »
Local hills for me :) ....I can see the upper part of the track that was taken to reach the Moine Mhor plateau from my house window....although not both of these hills from here.  You are likely to see more folks on the 'Great Moss' in the early part of summer when the visiting Dotterel come here to ground nest. 
I think that nowadays there are in excess of 5,000 'Munro round' compleaters....so I guess that it gets a bit of traffic :)    

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:48:25, 08/09/17 »

I'm trying to work out what tent you are using, it sort of looks like it could be a trekkertent?

It's a Tarptent Notch, same sort of idea as the trekkertents, using walking poles as uprights but American. I didn't know about Trekkertents when I brought it. I was quite impressed it stood up to the wind that night. It's a one person tent but they do others which are two person.

https://www.tarptent.com/notch.html

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:16:12, 23/10/17 »
Thanks for posting Owen, the Cairngorms is on my tick list too :)
The beer can stove looks interesting O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:40:06, 12/06/18 »

A belated thank you for posting this, Owen; I'm making a brief foray into the Glen Feshie hills this Friday (15th), and your trip report is most interesting.

I'll be setting off early afternoon as I am driving down from Orkney that morning, so I'll not be walking as far as Monadh Mor. If the weather is half decent, I'll be climbing Mullach Clach a' Bhlair from Achlean, continuing on to remote Coire Mharchonaich before following the River Eidart down to upper Glen Feshie, where I'll camp for the night. Back down the glen on Saturday, and then away to pick up my son in Glasgow!

I'll post a report if all goes well.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:24:14, 12/06/18 »
Hello,
For getting to Mullach by the most interesting way take the old stalkers track 50 metres south from Ruigh Aiteachain bothy, up through the pines, and then sig-zag up to .737, Lochan nam Bo, easily up to Druim nam Bo and onto Mullach Clach a'Bhlair...the wide open spaces lie before you.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:40:08, 12/06/18 »

Thanks vizzavona; I spotted that path on the map; looked too good to be true!

I was thinking of slogging up the NW slopes of Meall nan Sleac to get good views into Coire Garbhlach, but it looks like hard work with a pack on.
« Last Edit: 08:48:40, 13/06/18 by richardh1905 »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:56:26, 12/06/18 »
[quote author=richardh1905

Mullach Clach a' Bhlair from Achlean, continuing on to remote Coire Mharchonaich before following the River Eidart down to upper Glen Feshie, where I'll camp for the night. Back down the glen on Saturday, and then away to pick up my son in Glasgow!

I'll post a report if all goes well.

Did that route in reverse at the beginning of June, keep an eye out for adders. The Eidart is well worth it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:40:44, 12/06/18 »

It's a Tarptent Notch, I was quite impressed it stood up to the wind that night.

Our Trekkertent Drift always was great coping with strong wind too. I was always dubious about using trekking poles as tent poles before we got the Drift, I certainly have no qualms now, we were out in some hoolies in that tent. It looks like a great tent you have, that Notch  O0
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:46:57, 13/06/18 »

Did that route in reverse at the beginning of June, keep an eye out for adders. The Eidart is well worth it.

I may yet do this, as the forecast for Saturday morning is better than that for Friday afternoon. I'll see if the tops are clear on the day.

Edit - and if time allows, I can drop down into Coire Garbhlach in the way down.
« Last Edit: 08:50:49, 13/06/18 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:15:54, 18/06/18 »

Well I survived the trip - what a walk! Glen Feshie is beautiful - I am totally smitten.

Trip report coming shortly.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:29:54, 19/06/18 »
Hello,
Good that you had a fine trip on the Moine Mhor.  How was the old stalkers path up from Ruigh Aiteachain....it was becoming a bit overgrown with heather with the lack of folks walking up this way?  I guess that the Munro baggers tend to use the easy land rover track up overlooking the Coire Garbhlach. The baggers are always in a rush to get on to their next summit so don't seek out the more interesting ways to the high ground.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy