Author Topic: Is it just me or is Nikwax fabric treatment rubbish?  (Read 8928 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Is it just me or is Nikwax fabric treatment rubbish?
« Reply #15 on: 12:02:48, 14/09/17 »
OK so got the 303 spray yesterday and sprayed a pair of Decathlon overtrousers that had been washed in detergent to remove any old proofing and rinsed 3 times.
The stuff has solvent in it so it smells a bit like scotchguard aerosol does, needs to be done outside. Then I've dried them for 24 hours which is the max time apparently needed to cure the coating.

They repel very well indeed. The tap test shows it beading like mercury. A 10 m inutes shower test fails to wet it and even rubbing the water in with fingers is very difficult. Any water that sticks is easily shaken off. I've had new jackets be less resistant than this. No sign of any harm to the seam tape from the solvent - and I deliberately soaked parts of the seam with it to test for this. So far it's obviously superior to Nikwax and Grangers I've used previously. It will need a proper outdoor test in British weather to be sure.

As a bit more of a test I sprayed a bit of normal, non-waterproof fabric. I did half in Nikwax Direct spray and the other in the 303 and dried it for 24 hours in a warm spot. I repeatedly sprayed with water, scrunched up the cloth whilst wet and then shook it off. The Nikwax side did OK - water beads up nicely but repeated wetting and the scrunching sees the water starting to get a grip. But the 303 is almost impossible to wet, even though it's just a piece off an old polyester it's acting like it's properly waterproof.

I've attached a photo. It's pretty obvious which side is which.

https://ibb.co/kZXrG5

To be honest I'm amazed just how water resistant this bit of polyester has become with the 303. It appears to be actually waterproof to all intents and purposes.

« Last Edit: 12:10:47, 14/09/17 by NeilC »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:12:23, 14/09/17 »
Cheers for this NeilC.  I was going to try Fabsil on some test materials with a view to reviving the waterproofness of my "winter duvet" jacket which has long since lost any capacity to remain or even BE waterproof (it's ancient and nowt but a glorified insulated jacket now but ooooooohh so cozy and warm in winter). 

I probably can't harm it by giving it a spray of the 303 spray you mention by the sounds of it (it has a peached polyester shell).  Nikwax and Grangers haven't had any effect on it at all, whatsoever.  It was waterproof in it's youth so the capacity is there  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:08:54, 14/09/17 »
It was waterproof in it's youth so the capacity is there  O0

Probably not.  If it relied on a waterproof membrane that will have deteriorated by now and no longer be waterproof.  Using Nikwax/Grangers can't repair a breakdown in the membrane.
Where there's a will ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:30:03, 14/09/17 »
Probably not.  If it relied on a waterproof membrane that will have deteriorated by now and no longer be waterproof.  Using Nikwax/Grangers can't repair a breakdown in the membrane.

I agree, the best you could hope for would be an improvement in the water resistance but it's never gonna be waterproof again.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:30:22, 14/09/17 »
Thanks Neil for giving that a go, the product description reads

303 High-Tech Fabric Guard provides the ultimate protection for fabrics. Protect against Dirt, Grease, Water, Oil Based Stains.  303 High-Tech Fabric Guard is powerful enough to protect fabrics in the harshest environment....outdoors! Yet it is safe for the finest fabrics, wool, silk and fine leathers - including suede.  On outdoor fabrics 303 High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellence and stain repellence to factory-new levels. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard resists soiling, impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun's harmful UV rays. Automotive: Fabric Convertible Tops, Interiors, Carpets, Interior Seats Commercial & Residential: Awnings, Outdoor fabric seats and furniture, Parasols, Blinds Other: Fabric upholstery, carpeting, fine clothing, tents, breathable rainwear, ski clothing, hiking boots, all leathers including suede.

(Emphasis added by me).  Its pricey but if it works well then it would be worth it.  How much of the bottle did you need for one treatment?

Could work on backpacks too.
Not all those who wander are lost

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:01:07, 14/09/17 »
Thanks Neil for giving that a go, the product description reads

(Emphasis added by me).  Its pricey but if it works well then it would be worth it.  How much of the bottle did you need for one treatment?

Could work on backpacks too.

Dunno, maybe used 1/4 on the trousers, probably a bit less. hard to tell as I can't easily open the bottle. I bought it here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303-30605-Fabric-Guard-Trigger-Sprayer/122603374483?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The bottle says it covers 40-75 square feet. I'd guess 40 would be something like cotton and 75 the absolute best coverage on a fine, non-absorbent surface.

Defo have enough left for my jacket and I reckon will have some left after that. It covers about as well as the Grangers or Nikwax sprays

willow229

« Reply #21 on: 13:56:43, 15/09/17 »
Agree with the original post, find the whole Nikwax process a massive faff. I've had a few Paramo jackets and gone back to Gore-Tex each time as the reproofing lark is too much hassle.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:51:54, 15/09/17 »

I'm not sure there is a waterproof membrane... or even evidence there ever was one  :-\   It was deffo waterproof in it's hey day though.

I agree, the best you could hope for would be an improvement in the water resistance but it's never gonna be waterproof again.

Aye.  It certainly won't make it any less waterproof/resistant than it is now  ;D

jethro10

« Reply #23 on: 18:45:16, 15/09/17 »
I like the idea of this 303. Is it possible though, that by being super waterproof, it stops things like trousers being as breathable as they were?
Anyhow, I've still ordered some!
I also wonder how long it lasts.
J

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy