Author Topic: Don't climb Snowdon just wearing your underpants  (Read 3769 times)

Oldtramp

Not even for charity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-41306122

Went up
Got cold
Came down on train, somewhat delirious with cold
Ambulance had to be called

Rather be walking

Re: Don't climb Snowdon just wearing your underpants
« Reply #1 on: 19:22:59, 18/09/17 »
Are people just getting stupider?  :o
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:35:14, 18/09/17 »
Young people have a habit of doing such things. I'm sure I was just as daft, but in a different way. Why did my mate and I travels miles on a bus to go to a pub 10 miles away, get drunk and have to walk home, just for a different experience and hoping to meet different girls? Didn't some young bloke swim across the front of a dam recently. Was he drunk?

Down here in Portsmouth its Freshers week this week (about 20,000 students arrive) and on Saturday when my mate and I go for our routine 4 pints I'm sure we will be bombarded by groups of new students dressed up as nuns, boys wearing suspenders, girls with hardly a stitch on, braving the cold to carry out their role either as 'feminists', or as 'sex objects', or both and all shouting and laughing very loudly and being very grown up! Can you be both a feminist and a sex object? Of course you can, I've seen and heard it for a few years now, if challenged by one of cruder and leering 'lads' in the bar, or by one or two of the older men, who may shout "go and put some clothes on" the female students immediately become feminists, backed up by the males of the group. but obviously at the same time want to be treated as a 'beautiful woman' and admired for how they look as well. Isn't life complicated!

The boys are the same but in a different way, nowadays they often talk about their moisturisers and swap yarns about what sort of perfumes to wear when the girls are not there, (girls still go off to the ladies together) but when with the girls are back they then become instant butch peacocks! Every year its the same, it never changes! The students are also cash cows for the pub. as soon as they walk in, the bar staff and/or the landlord immediately gets out the 'shots', £3.50 a mouthful, they down them, laugh loudly and then go to the next pub.

Its the best time of the year, when we can reminisce about what we got up to when we were young!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:29:07, 19/09/17 »
Young people have always been the same, I think. Neurological studies have shown that they process risk differently to how they would when they age. They process potential positive outcomes the same as older people but underestimate negatives - the problems this can cause can be reinforced by a lack of experience too.

When I went up Snowdon (clothed!) last year it was on a hot July day. Not long after arriving at the cloudy summit, I'd got my fleece, woolly hat and gloves out of my bag and was dressed as though I was on a winter walk. It was that cold. Fortunately, I'm a seasoned enough walker to go out prepared but I can see how somebody would be caught out if they weren't.

I don't know whether there was some evolutionary or social advantage to this kind of teenage behaviour or whether it's just a developmental glitch, like breathing and eating through the same part of the body, but from Icarus to some of today's teenage lads climbing up statues with traffic cone in hand I reckon it's always been part of the human condition to some degree.

Glad he's okay and survived his well-intentioned if misguided charity fundraising stunt.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:30:22, 19/09/17 »
Oops... Meant to modify not quote. Ignore this one.  ::)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:16:23, 19/09/17 »
I don't know whether there was some evolutionary or social advantage to this kind of teenage behaviour or whether it's just a developmental glitch,
I remember hearing about this, I think it was on a Robert Winston program. They gave the reason as needing the young males to go out hunting and fighting for the good of the tribe both of which can be very high risk. Older, wiser and hopefully more risk averse members of the community would govern the tribe to keep it safe but young males are expendable, you don't need many to ensure that the gene pool is fresh.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:01:24, 20/09/17 »
I remember hearing about this, I think it was on a Robert Winston program. They gave the reason as needing the young males to go out hunting and fighting for the good of the tribe both of which can be very high risk. Older, wiser and hopefully more risk averse members of the community would govern the tribe to keep it safe but young males are expendable, you don't need many to ensure that the gene pool is fresh.

That's interesting, Ridge - cheers. I wish I'd seen that. Hopefully it'll be repeated at some point - if it was BBC, a lot of documentaries seem to get recycled on BBC4 & iPlayer, which is great.

Funnily enough, a friend shared an article a couple of days ago on Facebook about the difference in sleeping patterns between the young and the old - a study suggested that it might have an evolutionary advantage as older people would be awake to warn of danger when the younger members of the group were sleeping (and vice versa, of course).

Theo Frum

« Reply #7 on: 14:17:55, 20/09/17 »
I saw a guy on top of Helvellyn in his underpants once, being as it was the baking hot summer when Haweswater ran dry I was tempted to join him. I don't think he was short of warm kit though, judging by the 65L rucksack he was carrying.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:05:50, 20/09/17 »
I ended up in my underpants under Hellvelyn one January many years ago. We were suddenly hit by a blizzard on the approach to Grisedale Tarn. It was a complete whiteout so we turned back. Just as I was remarking how smooth the going was I found out why as the ice, I did not know I was on, gave way and I went through up to my thighs.  :-\

I ended up in the lee of the climbers' hut stripping off to wring the water out. The worst part was my bootlaces were solid with ice and we had to pound then with rocks before I could undo them. This was in the canvas anoraks and corduroy trousers era, none of your DWR gear. Can't ever being quite so pleased to see the pub. Took me ages to warm up.
Solvitur Ambulando

eddycreative

« Reply #9 on: 12:33:52, 06/10/17 »
Seriously? you're just asking for trouble  ::)

Beinn There-Tae

« Reply #10 on: 15:51:51, 06/10/17 »
Not carrying much loose change is he....must be cold right enough.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:05:59, 07/10/17 »
^^^^ *sniggers* ^^^^^

:D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy