Author Topic: TR A very small bit of the Annandale Way Tue 26 Sep 17  (Read 4069 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Has anyone done or heard of the Annandale Way? We'd bought some maps for the Dumfries and Galloway area because the buses to here are more regular over the winter and we may do a few walks and wild camps here. We have already seen a bit of Langholm a few weeks ago. I spotted the Annandale Way on the Annan map. It goes from Moffat to the Solway south of Annan and it follows the River Annan. It is 55 miles long. I did a search on here and I can only see 2 forum members who have done it. The one trip report I could see has had its photos removed by the Photobucket scourge  :(

I got the bus to Annan to check out a bit of the Annandale Way.  It was sunny and warm but a bit claggy so I started in Annan and went north from there and missed out the Solway Firth bit.

On the Annandale Way

The information board near the B721

This isn't the start of the route, as I mentioned it starts at the coastline south of Annan or in Moffat if you are doing it north to south

The road bridge at Annan

A footbridge I would be using later on the return

Quite a few people asked me if I was doing the Annandale Way and I explained to everyone that I was just out for a day walk to see what the route was like. They were all very nice, friendly people.

A bridge near Blacketlees

I didn't cross it, I carried on the Annandale Way

Reflections in the river

Very pleasant walking

The lovely River Annan

The leaves are changing

Close up of the autumn leaves

Looking back at the path

I stopped and had some lunch and a brew listening to the sound of the river. On the way again two volunteer rangers said hello and also asked if I was walking the Annandale Way. They were checking the waymarkers were ok. I told them they were ok because I'd not had to get my map out! One of them asked me if I had the new guidebook and told me to get that if I wanted to do anymore of the route as it had changed since the map was published. It had been diverted from a road at some point he had said, can't remember where. He said the route was a fantastic route and he wished more people knew about it. He mentioned "Rucksack Readers" and to have a look online. Nice blokes and very enthusiastic about the route, they made me want to explore more of it.

Looking across the river from the opposite bank

At Brydekirk I crossed the bridge and turned right onto the "core path" back to Annan. The path on this side was more muddy and uneven and I slid a few times. There were better views and it was prettier on the other side on the Annandale Way.

More autumnal colours

It will be even better in a few weeks

A heron near the footbridge

It flew off as soon as I took the photo. I saw the two volunteer rangers sitting on a bench near Annan. We chatted again about the Annandale Way and I said I would be back with Beefy in tow to do more of it. This walk from today is nice enough to do as a day walk. My route was Annan bus station - Annandale Way (northbound) - Brydekirk - footpath on the other side of the river - Annan bus station. 11km, not much ascent.

Back home I had a look for the guide book the volunteer ranger had mentioned on Rucksack Readers website. I saw the guidebook along with a picture of the author Roger Turnbull. He looked very like one of the volunteer rangers I'd met  :) His enthusiasm for the route was very infectious, I may not buy the guidebook but a return visit to see more of the Annandale Way is on the cards. I did 3 miles of the Annandale Way and the bit I did was a very nice riverside walk. I was told by the rangers it was a route with a lot of variety, with no boring bits. Moffat and the surrounding area looks very nice too, we plan to go walking in the hills there too. For any of you day walkers or long distance walkers you might want to have a look. If anyone has done the whole route, is it one you enjoyed all the way?

More info about the walk here:
http://annandaleway.org/

Here is a link to the new guidebook with updated information. I genuinely believe the author/volunteer ranger was not touting for business for his book but wanted people to know about the walk and promote the area to others.
http://www.rucsacs.com/books/Annandale-Way/

For people using buses/public transport here is a link to the bus services.
http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/timetables
« Last Edit: 20:47:15, 27/09/17 by April »
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR A very small bit of the Annadale Way Tue 26 Sep 17
« Reply #1 on: 19:09:40, 27/09/17 »

Never heard of it until now.The photos make it look like the height of summer apart from the trees starting to turn.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:12:51, 27/09/17 »
The photos make it look like the height of summer apart from the trees starting to turn.

It was unexpectedly very warm and sunny on Tuesday. I was roasting in a long sleeved thicker top I'd put on in case it was a bit chilly.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:49:43, 27/09/17 »

nice pics Ape' ...  O0
looks very nice, I can see a few adventures in the making here ...  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: TR A very small bit of the Annandale Way Tue 26 Sep 17
« Reply #4 on: 22:11:24, 27/09/17 »
Gorgeous photos April    :)    It looks a beautiful walk

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:18:13, 27/09/17 »
Very pretty photos April 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:30:15, 28/09/17 »
Lovely riverside stuff in the sun  O0
But why inflect beefy on the rangers? What they done to you?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:41:05, 28/09/17 »

Lovely riverside stuff in the sun  O0
Oi....  :tickedoff:
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:12:08, 28/09/17 »
I can see a few adventures in the making here ...  :)

So can I  :)

Thanks Dovegirl and sunnydale  O0

I do feel guilty about it. They were so nice as well, describing me as a young lady  :D
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:36:19, 04/10/17 »
Looks a lovely walking area April and some really nice photos, especially the bridge. O0

Presumably no problems with wild camping but did you have any problems at border control?  :)

Regards Keith  

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:47:02, 04/10/17 »
Presumably no problems with wild camping but did you have any problems at border control?  :)

No problems with the border, the bus goes direct from Carlisle into Scotland with no border checkpoint otherwise they might not have let me in  :D

You would think there would be no problem with wild camping with it being Scotland. I asked the rangers about wild camping if we did the whole walk. One of the rangers looked rather disapproving and suggested Bed and Breakfasts, the other one said he had just done the Great Glen Way and wild camped. The other ranger seemed to think we would have problems if we did camp, perhaps because the route follows valley paths mostly and is too close too houses?  :-\
I thought you could camp anywhere in Scotland, within reason, it seems it isn't always the case?  :-\
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:52:26, 04/10/17 »

AprilThis article https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/annandale-way-now-on-walkhighlands/004302/ seems a bit more optimistic about wild camping. Another one at http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2011/05/annadale-way.html

Regards Keith

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:38:26, 05/10/17 »
Thanks Welsh Rambler  O0

If we do the whole route I think we will be better starting at Moffat, might be more places to pitch on the first night up there. On the walk I did there wasn't anywhere I would be happy wild camping near Annan but it is good to know there are places that Chris Townsend found further north. I'd seen the campsite on the OS map at Hoddom Castle so we could use that for our last night before we get the bus home from Annan.
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:46:16, 05/10/17 »
Hope it goes well April but have you arranged for somebody to look after the Lake District when you are away?  ;D

Regards Keith

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:46:45, 06/10/17 »
Hope it goes well April but have you arranged for somebody to look after the Lake District when you are away?  ;D

We might do the route next summer when we are guaranteed nice weather  :D I'm sure the Lakes can manage without us  :)

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy