Author Topic: Tested my Paramo  (Read 3588 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Tested my Paramo
« on: 10:04:30, 21/01/18 »
I got a Paramo Helki jacket over Xmas and got a chance to properly test it over this weekend with a long day of constant rain in the Brecon Beacons, some of it with strong wind blowing especially climbing Pen Y Fan from the North.

First time I've tried full Paramo, as opposed to just their windproof, and it was pretty good. It's definitely warm. I wore only a thin merino baselayer all day and was never cold but sometimes a bit warm on steeper climbs. Overall I stayed dry other then the back at the bottom which was wetted out on the outer surface and eventually got wet inside too. I can't work out if this was back sweat or rain pushed through by a full size overnight pack or Maybe water from my trousers being rubbed in?

The hood was great. Best one I've tried and much easier to hear through. The pockets kept rain out but were steamy so mobile phone got damp as sweat condensed on its cold screen. Not sure why they don't have a non breathable waterproof pocket for phones etc.

One downside for overnighting is that after such a soaking wet day, the jacket is a bit soggy and heavy and you cannot just shake all that water off or wipe it dry as it's wet under the outer face fabric. So you have a bit of a soggy jacket (not inside) to put on the next day, albeit a warm one that keeps your dry.

Any regular Paramo users care to comment? I'm interested to see if my observations fit with yours.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Tested my Paramo
« Reply #1 on: 10:48:11, 21/01/18 »
I’ve used Paramo a lot, and basically agree with your views.

One thing I’ve noticed is that their kit is “sensitive”, it needs a proper cleaning routine. Go out one day and it performs well...but go out next day in similar conditions and it may fail spectacularly if you’ve not washed it for a while. That transition from “working well” to near crap can be sudden IF you don’t wash regularly and re-proof occasionally.

My only other “moan” is that I’ve always found their Velez trousers to perform less well than the rest of their water-proof range (no idea why). I treat them as soft shells rather than full waterproofs.

Sloth

« Reply #2 on: 11:33:51, 21/01/18 »
I found them to warm for day hikes, I find it much easier to regulate how warm I am with a shell. I also think they are to heavy for longer hikes.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:49:45, 21/01/18 »
My only other “moan” is that I’ve always found their Velez trousers to perform less well than the rest of their water-proof range (no idea why). I treat them as soft shells rather than full waterproofs.

Are the Velez trousers made using the lighter-weight Nikwax Light Analogy fabric rather than the standard Nikwax Analogy fabric? If they are it may explain the performance difference between them and your other Paramo gear.

I would agree with the other comments. The key to keeping Paramo gear performing is regular washing and reproofing when necessary.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:55:28, 21/01/18 »
The pockets kept rain out but were steamy so mobile phone got damp as sweat condensed on its cold screen. Not sure why they don't have a non breathable waterproof pocket for phones etc.

Sorry, going off topic I know, but your phone will get just as damp if not more so in a non breathable waterproof pocket. On my multiple-day trips I drop mine down the side of my Aquapac stormproof camera pouch, between the outer skin and the padding for the camera, and when it's raining the phone gets damp and fogged up.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:14:46, 21/01/18 »
It has definitely been a pretty grim weekend weather wise in the Beacons so I do sympathise. I have a Paramo adventure light smock, in persistent rain with wind it has wetted out a bit but I’ve never had any issues with water getting through the fabric. I’d say your experience is fairly typical of Paramo and as others have said, their products do need regular maintenance, but I’m a Fan nevertheless and for me nothing breathes better.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:51:43, 21/01/18 »
So how often do you guys suggest washing it?

Overall I think the temperature was about right with no mid layer and I was as comfortable as it's possible to be that sort of crappy weather so I liked it. I wish I knew if it was leaking at the back though. Only time will tell I guess.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:06:13, 21/01/18 »
I wash mine using tech wash then TX direct, but only when it’s been worn in a good downpour. Otherwise it gets a wash in tech wash and a quick tumble on low heat setting. I’ve had it 3 years and it’s still in excellent nick.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:32:26, 21/01/18 »

I do the big wash with tech wash and TX direct twice a year, spring and autumn, and a quick rinse through in between if need be, though I know a lot of people do more than that.  I wear the jacket pretty much every day in the winter.
I have Cascada trousers for the winter, which go on a bit less often, and Velez for the summer, but I am luckier than pauldawes and find the Velez waterproof.  I just hate wearing overtrousers!
I find it all really comfortable, but the jacket is a bit warm for most of the summer.
Paramo seems a bit marmite, you love it or hate it.   The only bit of gear I didn't get on with was a pair of light summer walking trousers, can't remember what they were called.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:15:35, 21/01/18 »
Are the Velez trousers made using the lighter-weight Nikwax Light Analogy fabric rather than the standard Nikwax Analogy fabric? If they are it may explain the performance difference between them and your other Paramo gear.

I would agree with the other comments. The key to keeping Paramo gear performing is regular washing and reproofing when necessary.

They are. But so is the Velez Adventure Light smock, that I’ve never had same problem with.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:21:38, 21/01/18 »
I found them to warm for day hikes, I find it much easier to regulate how warm I am with a shell. I also think they are to heavy for longer hikes.

I typically walk cold so when I first bought a Paramo jacket was “determined” to buy one of the bulkier ones.

The salesman just asked “Where do you walk?”. When I said Peak District, he said something like: ”Do not consider anything except the Adventure Light smock, unless you go out in Scottish winters”.

He talked me round. And he was right..I’ve found it warm enough even for me. (And the side venting, etc means I can keep it on even in fairly warm conditions.)

Sloth

« Reply #11 on: 16:45:32, 21/01/18 »
Hi Paul, I've got the Fuera Ascent jacket and fleece liner. In fairness the jacket is pretty good on its own. The combination is to warm for me. I want to like Paramo and I like the quality but it does'nt work for me. I find it easier to use base and mid layers with my Marmot Precipe to stay comfortable.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:07:23, 21/01/18 »
Hi Paul, I've got the Fuera Ascent jacket and fleece liner. In fairness the jacket is pretty good on its own. The combination is to warm for me. I want to like Paramo and I like the quality but it does'nt work for me. I find it easier to use base and mid layers with my Marmot Precipe to stay comfortable.

I can easily understand that. If effectively Paramo’s lightest/ least warm jacket is warm enough for some one as “cold sensitive” as me, not surprised kit is too warm for a fair number of people.

(And I know Fuera Ascent by itself isn’t waterproof.)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:55:27, 22/01/18 »
I have an Alta 2, good for the colder months, makes me too hot the rest of the year. I like the long, wide non-elasticated sleeves, helps to keep the hands dry. The hood is pretty good too.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:29:04, 22/01/18 »

I can easily understand that. If effectively Paramo’s lightest/ least warm jacket is warm enough for some one as “cold sensitive” as me, not surprised kit is too warm for a fair number of people.

(And I know Fuera Ascent by itself isn’t waterproof.)

IIRC the hoodie that goes with the Fuera is one of Paramo's warmest fleeces isn't it? I suspect that's gonna be quite warm

I have an Alta 2, good for the colder months, makes me too hot the rest of the year. I like the long, wide non-elasticated sleeves, helps to keep the hands dry. The hood is pretty good too.

Yes the sleeves are good. I got my Helki deliberately quite large so I can put an insulated jacket under it and have the length in the sleeves - they come down over half my hand and that makes a big difference in stopping rain getting into gloves.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy