Author Topic: Finding information about towns along The Ridgeway  (Read 843 times)

MapsAreCool

I am planning a walk along The Ridgeway, and I am having difficulty finding out which of the villages near the trail have grocery stores or shops.  Any advice?  Perhaps someone has done a write up on where to most easily find food along the trails.

Examples: Ogbourne St. George, East Kennett, etc.

Thank you

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Finding information about towns along The Ridgeway
« Reply #1 on: 08:36:33, 24/05/18 »
Google will help to link you to the Thompsons Directory or Yellow Pages for these locations. GoogleEarth Streetview will let you “walk” down their high street.
Solvitur Ambulando

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:02:08, 24/05/18 »
Get a copy of the Trailblazers guide to the Ridgeway. It'll have informational on all the towns and villages along the route., and much more besides.

https://trailblazer-guides.com/book/ridgeway

Doddy

« Reply #3 on: 10:20:01, 09/06/18 »

I Google the walk and look at the baggage transfer firms offerings; their journeys start and end at accommodation which are also likely to have resupply shops and pubs. They often have several day options and mileages which is also useful.

Going light-weight and a cheapskate I buy second hand
from Amazon a [/color]  
walk guide; I then don't feel so bad taking a craft knife to the guide and just carry the walk directions and any other useful bits. I can then put half of this in my map case for ease of reference; the other half is in the pack and is swapped over when required.

Rather be walking

« Reply #4 on: 12:24:11, 12/06/18 »
Google will help to link you to the Thompsons Directory or Yellow Pages for these locations. GoogleEarth Streetview will let you “walk” down their high street.

Yes we did it that way.
We are walking the whole 'Greater Ridgeway' in June is year. https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Greater+Ridgeway+Trail
Starting in Hunstanton to Lyme Regis, 371 Miles.
Its been 3 years in the planning, luckily we are staying with friends and family so transport isn't a problem.

Jon
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy