Author Topic: Rucksack for lightweight LEJOG  (Read 3127 times)

AFANASIEW

Rucksack for lightweight LEJOG
« on: 15:57:53, 16/07/18 »
Hi
I'm going to be walking LEJOG next year without camping, EXCEPT for 4 nights in the middle, when I'll pick up my camping gear then leave it to be collected. My idea is to have an expandable pack, e.g. 35-45 with good compressibility. Since I'll be travelling light anyway, I'd give more consideration to comfort and durability than to the weight of the pack itself, although that's a factor, of course.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Tony
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Rucksack for lightweight LEJOG
« Reply #1 on: 17:14:15, 16/07/18 »
Osprey Exos 48 can be used with or without the top bag thingy. I'm 6'3" and find mine to be extremly comfortable. Did the PW, and the Camino Frances, no bother. Cinches in quite a lot to carry smaller loads and is great for ventilation.I have only got experience of this and previously a 30 yr old Karrimor which was great but so heavy. So I may not be the best judge but I do love my Exos.

Too little, too late, too bad......

AFANASIEW

« Reply #2 on: 17:44:34, 16/07/18 »
... I do love my Exos.

The Exos will be on the shortlist, Jimbob, but more likely the 38 litre, I think. I also like the sturdier Stratos, with its rain cover.

Cheers

Tony

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:04, 16/07/18 »
The Osprey Talon 33 litre looks a good lightweight comfortable rucksack .

Also have a look at the Berghaus Fast hike 45 litre rucksack has lots of pockets 900 grams and will expand to accommodate extra gear .
Good luck with your adventure

AFANASIEW

« Reply #4 on: 22:15:28, 16/07/18 »
The Osprey Talon 33 litre looks a good lightweight comfortable rucksack .

Also have a look at the Berghaus Fast hike 45 litre rucksack has lots of pockets 900 grams and will expand to accommodate extra gear .
Good luck with your adventure
Thanks Zigzag. Got a smaller Talon day pack - can't fault it. The Fasthike is interesting and a tad radical. Not sure I'd trust it for comfort, breathability at the back or impermeability without a rain cover, though. And I've got used to using hood storage space for food and foot repair kit.
Cheers.
Tony

MudMagnet

« Reply #5 on: 13:37:04, 17/07/18 »
I've got both the Talon 33 and the Exos 48.
If you are not carrying objects that need careful packing so they don't dig into your bag, then the Talon, but the exos has a better carrying system if your planning on a bit more weight.  both have an elasticated from pouch for wet gear.
Can't praise both pack highly enough.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #6 on: 14:01:43, 17/07/18 »
I've got both the Talon 33 and the Exos 48...
Can't praise both pack highly enough.

Thanks MudMagnet. I'm leaning towards the Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro 35-45 as having the versatility I'm looking for, although the Exos still figures.

Tony

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:16:16, 17/07/18 »
I have the LA airzone 35 and have used it on numerous LDWs. Very comfortable and flexible pack with many pockets etc.
Where there's a will ...

Ralph

« Reply #8 on: 17:52:17, 17/07/18 »
I agree with MudMagnet as I also have the Talon 33 & Exos 46. The Talon is great for winter walking when carrying extra clothing. The Exos has been my favoured pack for backpacking for around 3 years. It is the best I've used so far, would highly recommend having a look at it.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #9 on: 20:24:38, 17/07/18 »
I agree with MudMagnet as I also have the Talon 33 & Exos 46. The Talon is great for winter walking when carrying extra clothing. The Exos has been my favoured pack for backpacking for around 3 years. It is the best I've used so far, would highly recommend having a look at it.
I would go for the 38 litre version, Ralph, but find it a bit pared down in terms of compartments and expandability for use on a 74 day hike.
Thanks for the vote, though.
Tony

AFANASIEW

« Reply #10 on: 20:25:37, 17/07/18 »
I have the LA airzone 35 and have used it on numerous LDWs. Very comfortable and flexible pack with many pockets etc.
Have you found any negative issues with it, sussamb?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:34:31, 17/07/18 »
If anything I'd have liked a second pocket on the hip belt, there's only one on the right side.  I've added a pouch of my own on the left  O0

Other than that very happy with it.
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #12 on: 22:03:20, 17/07/18 »
If anything I'd have liked a second pocket on the hip belt, there's only one on the right side...
That must be a slightly different or earlier version - the current one has two stretchy hip pockets.:
https://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/gear-reviews/rucksacks/articles/2017/1/30/lowe-alpine-airzone-pro-3545-rucksack-review

AFANASIEW

« Reply #13 on: 22:08:28, 17/07/18 »
I've also been looking at:
Osprey Stratos 36
Berghaus Freeflow 35
Deuter Futura Pro 36

- but the LA is out in front, ahead of the Deuter because of the elastic web which will allow me to stash my waterproof jacket there, even though it's designed for a helmet.

Tony

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:20:19, 17/07/18 »
That must be a slightly different or earlier version - the current one has two stretchy hip pockets.:
https://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/gear-reviews/rucksacks/articles/2017/1/30/lowe-alpine-airzone-pro-3545-rucksack-review

Ah ... that's better ... they must have taken my suggestion on board  O0

May have to update my pack  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy