Author Topic: Waterproof jacket - backpacking/multi-day  (Read 2736 times)

lawz-22

Waterproof jacket - backpacking/multi-day
« on: 09:56:14, 17/10/18 »
First time posting here so apologies for the length of this! in summary: has anyone got any recommendations for mens/womens waterproof jackets, easily purchasable in the UK that is suitable for multi-day walks in rain with heavy-ish backpacks!?

My boyfriend and I are planning to walk the Pennine Way in May 2019. We are starting to do some longer walks and slowly building up pack weight as well over the weekends to try and prep ourselves a bit more.

Over the weekend we had a gentle 13.5 mile amble in the Peak District around Derwent/Howden reservoirs - in the pouring rain. It rained constantly all day so we took it as a good opportunity to test our "waterproofs". We both have a pair of Berghaus Deluge trousers - these were ace and kept our trousers/legs bone dry. After a very soggy trip up Kinder Scout a few years ago, I invested in a rather expensive (at the time) Rab Spark jacket. This has held up ok in general light rain showers before and I have been re-proofing it, but during the walk it failed miserably. I'm not sure if it was made worse because of having a 10+kg backpack on which put pressure on the straps/waist areas so water permeated through, but the entire jacket was soaked through, which soaked to my Icebreaker jacket underneath, which then got wet and made my baselayer and myself damp underneath that. The hood also leaked (which made for an interesting hairstyle!) and my arms were wet so I'm not entirely convinced it's due to any pressure/weight against the jacket. My boyfriend had the exact same problem with his Berghaus Stormcloud jacket, although he wasn't quite as wet.

I have since learnt from other sites that a specific backpacking waterproof is what's needed, due to weight of packpacks etc but trying to find any is a challenge. I've seen a few good reviews of the Marmot Precip Jacket but not sure if it's more a general waterproof or is suitable for backpacking? We're hoping in May that we won't need waterproofs - but it's the UK and Scotland so.....

I've read as much as I can cope with at the moment about Gore-tex and the differences  :o  - is there much in the variations of Active/Paclite/Pro for backpacking? I (think?!) I understand correctly that Pro is the best to get if possible, but if Active/Paclite offers similar protection but with 2 layers instead of 3, would these generally hold up ok with heavy bags as well? A lot of reviews I can find for jackets such as Arc'teryx Beta SL, Mountain Equipment Impellor/Rupal, Montane Spine Jackets seem to be from people using them as more of an ad-hoc/day walk rather than potentially multi-days. I've also seen C-Knit mentioned as well, but is this fairly new as I can't find too many brands/jackets using this type of tech?

Our current jackets are both fairly lightweight and packable which is ideal and I am reluctant to spend £150+ again on another jacket for it to fail. That said, I don't want to buy 1 jacket purely for the Pennine Way, I am hoping it'll last longer and I'll get use out of it throughout the year. 

Thanks in advance!!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof jacket - backpacking/multi-day
« Reply #1 on: 10:25:52, 17/10/18 »
I have a Marmot Precipe and it's fine for occasional use when hiking with a pack, I've been in heavy downpours and it's kept me dry. However often folks reckon their waterproof is leaking when it fact they're getting damp from the inside, with sweat not escaping. You can check whether it actually leaks by wearing it in the shower!

There is a good article explaining the limitations of waterproofs here https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_breathable_waterproofs
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:12:48, 17/10/18 »
I too have a Marmot Precip and its served me well. Unfortunately it now leaks around the hood, the inner white lining has I believe, been scratched by the velcro patch which secures the hood under the collar, something I failed to notice I used to get confused because the Precip does get wet inside but I believe it's just condensation cause by sweating? When I see one I'm going to buy a cheap poncho and cut off the bottom and just retain the hood and shoulder part, that I'm sure will stop and water seeping down the back of my neck.

I also have a Paramo Alta which is fine but 'heavy' and I find not very useful for the warmer months. I now use it to go to and from the pub on a wet evening.

Plus I have a Vaude Poncho.

Nowadays I have worked out what I prefer. I will not buy another Paramo type jacket, my personal preference these days is a single shin jacket (like the Precip) and my Poncho. For me I learned this was the best combination when I last walked from Kirk Yetholme to Byrness in really heavy rain and stong winds, that day straight into my face.

I started off in my Precip (which I use as a wind jacket as well) but as the weather worsened I put my Poncho over the top! That did the trick, I remained dry. These days I now use a rain skirt, I wear my Rab gaiters and my full leather boots and once all on, I don't have to suffer that much. I found out personally, that no matter what, my weak link is the hood security arounds my face, if heavy rain is blasting you in the face some water will always seep in, something that I've never been able to solve. But then again how often do we experience this type of rain? If the wind and rain is really bad and its hitting me in the back its not such a problem to manage. Also because I use a rain skirt, to ensure real dryness in my boots I always wear my gaiters under my walking trousers, when I secured them on the outside, the wet used to seep via the trouser material inside and before long my feet were uncomfortably damp.

For my part I've now given up on the idea that there is one single answer to stop getting wet, which is why I now seek out cheap ways of solving these stupid little problems. The other thing I've discovered is that buying expensive is no real guarantee of the product being better than a lesser priced one. I no longer want to spend money on products that offer waterproofness but then fail to deliver.

Restless Native

« Reply #3 on: 12:49:43, 17/10/18 »
Mountain Equipment Lhotse, outstanding jacket  O0
We're still going, one more time to Strathault,
the clown and the wolfman.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:53:29, 17/10/18 »
Should be at the price  :o  but probably over the top for most of us including the OP  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Restless Native

« Reply #5 on: 13:08:29, 17/10/18 »
Should be at the price  :o  but probably over the top for most of us including the OP  ;)

Never really understood this thinking.  How much did the OP pay for the jacket they have to replace because it is not good enough ?  £100, £200 ?  Now how much will they pay for a new one ?  Compare that to the price of a Lhotse (other brands are available 😁)

As to the “over the top” comment, I would rather be prepared with kit that will do the job on that one day on the hill when my life could depend on it performing than not, but then I live in the north of Scotland and we do get some weather up here.
We're still going, one more time to Strathault,
the clown and the wolfman.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:47:56, 17/10/18 »
Yep well it does say in the blurb that ME put out 'Whether battling blizzards on a Scottish winter Munro or tackling an alpine north face this is a serious shell for almost any occasion' so for many of us I suggest that is indeed over the top.  Cost wise therefore for most it is not a good investment, I have three shells, one costing towards the £200 mark but my 'go to' shell for the sort of walking the OP is talking about is still my Marmot Precip at around a third of the price  O0
Where there's a will ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:55:00, 18/10/18 »
I'd normally be suggesting you check it did really leak and it wasn't just perspiration but a quick Google search really does seem to suggest Rab Spark and Pertex Shield can fail. Still worth testing. Mistaking swart for leaking is very common and very easy even for thr experienced walker.

I have a Helly Hansen Odin Traverse as my membrane jacket. Cost me a £100 and is definitely waterproof in all conditions I've put it thriugh. It's HellyTech Professional. Its reasonably breathable but I think more pricey ones are even better and Id possibly go for Goretex if money allowed when replacing it. But so far no sign of needing rrplacinr after several years - still as good as when I bought it.

My winter jacket is Paramo.i like it for colder weather but given Paramo is just about the most controversial waterproof in history re: waterproofness....maybe not the what you want to get into in a thread about failing waterproofs.....mine has not failed me mind.

As for pro/active/paclite - if you want max rain protection, you cannot do better than 3 layer Pro. Whether you need to is a other matter but if I was buying because of previous jackets leaking then I'd get most waterproof one.
« Last Edit: 17:14:33, 18/10/18 by NeilC »

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #8 on: 17:38:43, 18/10/18 »
There's an awful lot of discussion on this on the web. I think Paramo works well on damp days, but when the wind is blowing a hard shell feels more secure to me.

Last Sunday on a walk of 13 miles around Edale, I wore an ME drilite jacket (Odyssey I think) which is quite light in weight - about 400 grams. It rained for all the 6 hours we were out. I'd not worn it in such conditions before. When I stopped for food, My back felt cold and wet. But this was down to condensation/sweat on my back and around my hips where the pack prevents the jacket from breathing. It was actually quite a mild day, temperature-wise.

I don't think Goretex like the ME Lhotse would have made much difference. My waterproof over-trousers were Marmot Precip and they kept my legs dry.

I know it's expensive but you need to see what works for you. You could buy second-hand on Ebay and so reduce your risk of spending a lot on kit and regretting it.

Dave

snoopdawg

« Reply #9 on: 19:41:04, 18/10/18 »
Mountain Equipment Lhotse, outstanding jacket  O0

Mine isn't, soaks up and saturates despite several washings. I've taken to wearing a breathable t shirt only underneath in case its a sweat issue but just end up with a soaking t shirt and wet arms. I've given up trying to find a jacket that works and expect a soaking 

lawz-22

« Reply #10 on: 10:16:43, 19/10/18 »
Thank you for all the replies, been researching a bit more this week and looking into a few specific jackets (Marmot Precip, Arc'teryx Beta and Montane Spine/Alpine Pro's) but hoping to try some on before hand to check sizing etc.

After all this, I am fully expecting next May to be the dryest on record  ;D

gman88667733

« Reply #11 on: 10:37:00, 19/10/18 »
Thank you for all the replies, been researching a bit more this week and looking into a few specific jackets (Marmot Precip, Arc'teryx Beta and Montane Spine/Alpine Pro's) but hoping to try some on before hand to check sizing etc.

After all this, I am fully expecting next May to be the dryest on record  ;D
Been a long time lurker, but decided to give my opinion on this. I purchased a Montane Alpine Pro from Cotswold Outdoor last year. It was on sale for about £260 and it fitted well, so I went for it. I can say that I have been in some pretty foul weather (the worst that Dartmoor could throw at you really) and only on one ocassion did I notice a very small amount of leakage, but I am pretty sure it just ran down from the neck opening and did not actually leak.

I was slightly unsure as to how it would hold up with a rucksack on as it doesn't have reinforced shoulders, but it has been fine so far. I don't use it an awful lot at the moment, so it hasn't shown any signs of wear yet. Water still beads fairly nicely in lighter rain.The only negative of the jacket for me would be that it doesn't allow a lot of room for layers.

The sleeves are fairly loose, but the body of the XL is quite tight on me and I am quite thin. For example, my usual layering system involves a Rab Electron down jacket underneath my shell when it is cold and the coat barely zips up over the top of it, so I question how well the down jacket will then perform!

Overall, it is a very sturdy jacket and I wouldn't doubt its performance even in the worst conditions. Try and find one on sale though, I think they are about £360 full price, which is ludicrous for a shell jacket.

I also own a Marmot Precip and have done for about 5 years now probably. It did serve me very well, after many washes and reproofing, it wets out almost immediately now and the fabric feels sodden, however I can honestly say that it hasn't ever leaked on me, even in really harsh conditions, which for a £75 jacket, is quite an achievement. It is the least breathable jacket I have owned though and I found that it usually got covered in condensation inside as soon as I started moving. For the price though, it is hard to beat I think.

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: 10:47:45, 19/10/18 by gman88667733 »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:25:55, 19/10/18 »
The important thing with any shells, but more importantly with the single skin ones, is a decent baselayer and fleece so that sweat is wicked away from the skin and you remain warm.  Yes, you'll get condensation on the inside but you'll remain warm  :)
Where there's a will ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:01:48, 20/10/18 »

I also own a Marmot Precip and have done for about 5 years now probably. It did serve me very well, after many washes and reproofing, it wets out almost immediately now and the fabric feels sodden

I can highly recommend 303 Fabric Guard to replace the DWR. I'd tried Nikwax and others on my Helly Hansen jacket but they never really took properly and the jacket got worse over the years but I did it with 303 fairly recently, having stripped the old stuff off and it's back to being as good as new, if not better - beads like the photos in Goretex adverts and not just under the tap but keeps beading even in mountain weather. I was close to buying a new jacket.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:12:21, 21/10/18 »
I also have a Marmot Precip, but would guard against recommending it for the kind of backpacking you describe. Not because it isn't good, but I'd worry it wasn't up to the job long-term.

I have a Rab Bergen which has served me well for a number of years, which is relatively light and packs down small, but has definitely been tough enough for backpacking in foul weather, as has a more recent purchase of Berghaus Mera Peak.

TBH, I think you'd be best off going to stores, trying stuff on, judging the build-quality for yourself. It's true, otherwise waterproof jackets can leak under rucksack straps especially if the bag is heavy, and price is not necessarily the only guide to suitability.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy