Author Topic: First walk of the New year  (Read 3570 times)

inthebagbud

Re: First walk of the New year
« Reply #30 on: 05:54:51, 17/01/19 »
I walk 4 mile every day in the woods where I live as I have an energetic dog. Come rain or shine I do the walk. So today I did my first trip out walk to Roseberry topping not far from me. I must be out of sync as I pulled my hamstring  :-\ . I've never seen so many people. The stone path was steep down full of mud and slippy hence the pulled hamstring. I've decent hiking boots but I really hate slippy stones on a decent. How do others overcome this. I can't use a pole as I have my dog on a leash.

Regarding dog leash is that not why you see some walkers with a body harness attached to dog collar which leaves both hands free.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:44:52, 17/01/19 »
I walk 4 mile every day in the woods where I live as I have an energetic dog. Come rain or shine I do the walk. So today I did my first trip out walk to Roseberry topping not far from me. I must be out of sync as I pulled my hamstring  :-\ . I've never seen so many people. The stone path was steep down full of mud and slippy hence the pulled hamstring. I've decent hiking boots but I really hate slippy stones on a decent. How do others overcome this. I can't use a pole as I have my dog on a leash.
Any idea what sort of sole is on your footwear.? Vibram is not the answer to all slippery surfaces but it is very good & also the type of tread on your soles of course, is so important.I used to wear Brasher boots and slipped many times. I now wear Anatom boots and they are golden.!
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:29:03, 17/01/19 »
Had to organise a few problems out of the way first, but I have now managed to book myself a trip to Gran Canaria for 8 days from the beginning of February. I felt quite pleased with myself, total return cost for me and rucksack was £115.73. My plan is to walk from the airport to the north of the island and then walk across the island to the south coast, should fill in my time very nicely I hope. If all goes well and I find that I can stay in the Canaries longer, depending on the extra flight costs, I plan to island hop to Tenerife. I'll decide if I can do that when I'm there.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #33 on: 18:34:14, 17/01/19 »
Any idea what sort of sole is on your footwear.? Vibram is not the answer to all slippery surfaces but it is very good & also the type of tread on your soles of course, is so important.I used to wear Brasher boots and slipped many times. I now wear Anatom boots and they are golden.!
I have a pair of gelerts I think they are a Cotswold they have decent lugs on them.  It was wet mud on a stone path with a steep decent.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy