Author Topic: Walking trainers  (Read 1831 times)

Sean123

Walking trainers
« on: 19:39:43, 22/10/20 »
Hi everyone

I have a quick question. I would like to buy some lightweight, waterproof trainers and wanted some advice.

I recently purchased some Salomon Speedcross 4 trainers but they were too narrow and too tight.

I’m looking for something lightweight and waterproof as mentioned, mainly for street walking and the coastal path in Devon.

Could anyone give me any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Sean

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking trainers
« Reply #1 on: 19:55:30, 22/10/20 »
'Waterproof!' I'm never sure about that word when it relates to 'waterproof' shoes, boots or trainers, mine have all leaked, except for my all-leather boots. My £39 Decathlon trainers are good for running and walking in but definitely not waterproof, so sorry I can't be more helpful. Have to considered a lightweight all leather pair of hiking shoes, do they actually make them?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:59:51, 22/10/20 »
I wear Meindl Philadelpia shoes for road walking but for the coastal path I would strongly recommend boots.  Parts of the path are tough going and it can get quite muddy in places.
Solvitur Ambulando

Sean123

« Reply #3 on: 20:01:59, 22/10/20 »
Thanks for your messages, I’ve always found it easier to walk in trainers as I feel more comfortable, I find boots can rub, we walked 40km last weekend but didn’t have the correct shoes on so my feet are killing me!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:12:33, 22/10/20 »
Thanks for your messages, I’ve always found it easier to walk in trainers as I feel more comfortable, I find boots can rub, we walked 40km last weekend but didn’t have the correct shoes on so my feet are killing me!
Your call, you know your feet best.  I live in Devon and have walked all the north coast paths in that area and a fair few of the south coast, more than once.  There are a lot of steep and rough climbs and descents and I would always wear boots.  The fact that your boots rub indicates they do not fit rather than boots are unsuitable.  You might get away with trainers if you do short sections in fine weather..
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:17:56, 22/10/20 »

I have a quick question. I would like to buy some lightweight, waterproof trainers and wanted some advice.

Despite what manufacturers may try to make you believe unfortunately there's no such thing as waterproof trainers and agree with ninthace and strongly recommend that you use boots.

My recommendation would be that you arrange to visit Taunton Leisure and look at the Altberg range of boots they stock https://www.tauntonleisure.com/altberg/boots

In the meantime have a look at the following boots which are ideal for the walking you describe.

2-3 Season Boots

Altberg Fremington Men's 1412g RRP £184.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings) https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/5-width-fitting-boots/fremington-men

Best online price £166.49 @ Taunton Leisure

Altberg Malham Men's 1344g RRP £189.99(A-Forme last with 1 medium width fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/aforme-boots13/malham

Best online price £170.99 @ Taunton Leisure

Altberg's standard last is available in 5 width fittings from Extra Narrow to Extra Wide. If the model of a boot made on the standard last doesn't quite fit or suit your particular foot shape, width and volume it's a fairly safe be that a boot made on the A-Forme or G-Fit lasts will. All Altberg boots can be resoled if and when the need arises.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:11:02, 22/10/20 »
You could also consider non-waterproof trail runners and waterproof socks.  There's been a recent topic somewhere on here about that combination.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:40:56, 22/10/20 »
You will find it is one of the great divides, those who do most of their walking in trainers and those who prefer boots.  I am moving increasingly into the trainers camp, I have salomons and scarpas, and both have proved pretty waterproof.  If you like walking in trainers you will probably find Altbergs a bit heavy.  My son, who I think has quite wide feet, is thrilled to bits with some Hanwags shoes, but he hasn't had them long enough to comment on how waterproof they are long term.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:03:00, 22/10/20 »
I wear boots when conditions demand it, but I much prefer to wear shoes whenever I can.

Salomon Speedcross 4 shoes are advertised as grippy non-waterproof trail running shoes rather than trainers, but I won't split hairs!

I've used my Salomon Sanford GTX shoes a lot this year and I like them so much that I've bought another pair for when they wear out. They're available from Sports Direct for about the same price as the Speedcross 4 shoes and they look very similar. The tread pattern is more suited to street walking as well as most off-road surfaces. I've found them lightweight, they wear well, have decent grip and surprisingly good waterproofing.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Sevenup

« Reply #9 on: 22:52:34, 22/10/20 »
Sean, I have wide feet that appear to be getting wider in my old age. I bought EE fitting Salomon trail shoes from Sportshoes.com. I have also tried on and like Altra trail shoes which also have a wide fitting in the toe box. My Salomons are not waterproof (Speedcross 5). I’m planning on doing the cape wrath Way next year and I’m told my feet will be wet all of the time. I’m planning on trying them out until winter sets in. Rather than walk with puddles inside Gore-Tex boots, I’m experimenting with shoes that drain water more efficiently. I’m also experimenting with quick drying and waterproof socks. I’ve used sealskins in the past in my mountain biking days but modern waterproof socks appear to be a big improvement.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:55:59, 23/10/20 »
Rather than walk with puddles inside Gore-Tex boots, I’m experimenting with shoes that drain water more efficiently. I’m also experimenting with quick drying and waterproof socks. I’ve used sealskins in the past in my mountain biking days but modern waterproof socks appear to be a big improvement.

You might be interested in the experiment I did recently: 

Tested: Bridgedale waterproof socks (with non-waterproof shoes!)

I did a marathon along the North Downs Way in wet conditions soon after and the shoe/sock combination was a big success. I'm sure my feet would have stayed just as dry in boots, but I couldn't have walked at the same speed.

Returning to the OP... Although I much prefer to wear shoes, I need ones that provide good arch support. Good as the Salomon Sanford GTX shoes that I mentioned earlier are, I find that my non-waterproof Merrell Cham 7 shoes are much better for long distances.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:58:47, 23/10/20 »
I wear Inov8 Roclite 345 GTX.

I like them because they are - lightweight less than half the weight of my leather boots, soles are very grippy and flexible (I like to feel the path, particularly when on rough ground like the SWCP), the boot shape gives some support to my ankles without being too rigid.
The GTX helps towards being waterproof but I've decided that having damp feet on a day walk is not really a problem when wearing good wool based socks (Bridgedale). I intend trying waterproof socks.
Wild Walking on this forum and  https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/06/28/dover-to-cape-wrath-walk/  wore Roclites on both his LEJOG and Dover to Cape Wrath walks.

I am now on my third pair (in 5 yrs I think) and find half a size bigger than my normal shoe size is ideal.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #12 on: 09:38:11, 23/10/20 »

Sean, i often walk in trainers too, dont have any specific ones i prefer just use what i have at the time, preferably 'meshy' ones for good ventilation. 
See your planning on walking the swcp in stages?, did the same myself and on the some of the less remote stages i carried trainers to switch into and give my boot bound feet a bit of a change.  Worked well for me, but not so easy if your camping it.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Sean123

« Reply #13 on: 13:17:55, 23/10/20 »
Thanks for all everyone's help, some really good advice and I'll do some research over them all. It's a bit of a minefield as there are so much choice! As I mentioned I ordered some SALOMON Men's Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoes but they were just too narrow for me.

I'll keep on looking and see. I liked the idea of swapping between shoes and boots but we will be camping so trying to keep belongings to a minimum. I'll let you know how we get on!

We walked km near the Croyde area last week and have a walk planned for St Agnes next month so I'll let you know how I get on!!

Thanks again, everyone's help was much appreciated!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:43:17, 23/10/20 »
For what it is worth Sean.  I once met someone doing the path in gumboots so it seems whatever you are happy with is the rule.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy