Author Topic: Yorkshire Walks tv programme  (Read 5600 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Yorkshire Walks tv programme
« on: 09:17:16, 30/11/19 »
On BBC4 at 7:30 pm this Monday 2 December, and features Wensleydale.

Part 2 is at same time on Tuesday, featuring Calderdale.

Part 3 on Wednesday features a stretch of the Cleveland Way.

Part 4 on Thursday is in the Bolton Abbey Estate.

The walks are done by an artist, so things might not be seen in the same way as us walkers, I'm only guessing and maybe I'm wrong, but I am hopeful of there being some good scenery.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Yorkshire Walks tv programme
« Reply #1 on: 17:07:30, 30/11/19 »
I thoroughly enjoy watching walking programmes on iPlayer, especially Weatherman Walking, Grand Tours of Scottish Islands / Scotland's Lochs, Walks of Life, and River Walks... but I lasted about two minutes with the first episode of this one before giving up. I found it amateurish, dull and poorly filmed.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:04:04, 01/12/19 »
I really enjoyed the first episode. It actually seemed to be about walking rather than being another programme with a minor celebrity visiting various well known places and having a go at things. A real plus was the absence of any background music, which must be a first for the BBC. O0

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:58:18, 01/12/19 »
A real plus was the absence of any background music, which must be a first for the BBC. O0

You must be referring to 'Wild Wales', a wildlife programme 3 parts of which (out of 4) have been screened over the last 3 weeks. Their non-stop orchestral music practically drowns out the commentary and almost spoiled it for me (along with the 'tweeness' of the programme). It reminds me of the bad old days when the Musicians Union had a stranglehold on the BBC.

I'll post my thoughts on 'Yorkshire Walks' when I get around to watching my recordings.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:51:33, 02/12/19 »
I might actually see some of them, well Wednesday at least.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:49:34, 02/12/19 »
Well, I said I would post again after I had watched the programme, and I will now say it left me hugely disappointed. I think WhitstableDave got it right when he described it as amateurish. There was precious little spoken information about the landscape, its geology, the land usage, the industry, or the tracks that were being walked. The most we got were a few bits in subtitles - and why eight figure grid references were shown now and again I don't know. Overall I found the woman incredibly 'shallow', with little useful to say. Could she not have followed her walk, gone home and done some research and then done her filming? I watched the first episode and the first episode only; I won't be watching any others, I have deleted them. I am now sorry that I gave notification that the series was going to be on.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:37:22, 03/12/19 »
I saw it n thought it was really good. You could hear birdsong! There was no background music  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:45:36, 03/12/19 »
To be honest I watched about 10/15 minutes and switched off. I spent this time trying to work out how she did the filming. She had something in her hand but I couldn't see the "stick" or whatever going from there to the camera (you have to understand I am old!).

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:20:45, 03/12/19 »
I have now watched three episodes and as previously said really enjoyed them. What's more important is Mrs A thought they were the best walking programmes she had seen, and that's a difficult audience to please  ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:46:47, 03/12/19 »
Well I watched all 4 episodes on iPlayer and thoroughly enjoyed them all. 

Granted, the marketing might have been a bit off and could better have been sold as “Yorkshire Walks – thinking out loud” but I thought the filming, the little footnotes, the snippets of information, the musings, the fantastic variety of landscape, the audio picking up birdsong, livestock, water, wind, civilisation and the crunch of footsteps on the different terrains all absolutely delightful.

I think she captured the essence - the micro observations of our inner monologue - of what walking in our fantastic, beautifully varied landscape is all about  O0

I hope there will be more episodes and congratulations to the Beeb on sourcing an innovative new take on a worn out old theme.

Thanks fernman for the heads up on this mini-series  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:19:35, 03/12/19 »
Varied responses then! I haven’t watched any of it yet...but a good friend of mine was raving about how good it’s been so far!
I’ll give it a go at some point I suspect.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:46:08, 04/12/19 »
In view of other comments I watched the episode of Heptonstall to Stoodley Pike and I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I must revisit the episode I gave up on to work out why I felt different.  To be fair this was far better for "walkers" and actually gave me the feeling that I get whilst walking (without the camera!) rather than ones showing individuals spending most of the time cycling on penny farthings or coasteering but little walking/scenery .

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:00:59, 07/12/19 »
I too decided to have another go, having given up after just two minutes the first time...

I watched the whole first episode and I must admit I was still underwhelmed. Also, watching for longer made me increasingly irritated by the fisheye filming technique that resulted in extreme distortions at times. And while drone footage can occasionally offer an interesting perspective that isn't provided by walking, I felt it was overused - perhaps to insert some welcome breaks from the selfie-stick fisheye effect?
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

jcdzzz

« Reply #13 on: 21:03:02, 09/12/19 »
You are only guessing. Investigate & give a worthwhile summation.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:11:43, 09/12/19 »

This do ya?

Image result for symbol for summation"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy