Author Topic: MUST READ – Best Trip Report Ever  (Read 1887 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
MUST READ – Best Trip Report Ever
« on: 19:28:21, 01/12/20 »
What a glorious day.  Sunshiney, cold, no breeze.

All this getting up in the dark, sitting in an artificially lit box with no windows all day, then going home in the dark doesn’t do my seasonal sad syndrome (or whatever it’s called) any good so, lunchtime, I ran screaming from my prison cell, blinking and squinting, into the bright sunshine.

Our automatic gates seemed to take an age to open and I felt like pawing the ground as I waited.  As soon as I could squeeze through the gap I was out like a whippet – yeehawwww, freedom  :D   Off came the face covering.  Turning left onto Summergroves Way I inhaled deeply to get my fix of exhaust fumes.  I did this again as I turned onto Hessle Road.  I just can’t get enough of those CO2 emissions.

Left at the roundabout took me onto Priory Way and I crossed the road to walk on the sunny side of the street.  Plus, it meant I’d get to have a little looksee if the moorhens were on Fleet Drain:

They were, but they were foraging in the vegetation.

Past Sainsburys I went, which looked busy.  T’other side of the road is Aldi, which looked busy too.  The delicious smell of The Butty Boy burger van wafted in my direction but I wasn’t tempted - I knew my tuna and coleslaw wrap would taste exactly like a bacon sarnie  ::)

Onwards and upwards (yes, upwards, ascent, height gain, kwoorrrrrr) as I ascended and crossed the spaghetti junction of slip roads on the flyover.  What an adrenaline rush that was!

I topped out above the railway lines:

… and the Clive Sullivan Way (or maybe it’s the A63 by now, I’m not sure):

Now here’s a thing.  Standing here, I’ve left Hull but, as you can see, I’m not quite in the East Riding of Yorkshire.  So where am I?  No Man’s Land?  And once lockdown is lifted, what Tier will I be in?  Pondering this conundrum for far too long, I took my eye off the traffic and nearly got squashed by a massive articulated lorry as I crossed yet another slip-road.  I deservedly got a stern blast from his horn which, I’m sure, wasn’t because I’m such a foxy chick.  I was very nearly road-kill  :-[

Cardio workout complete, I dropped down the steps onto Hessle Foreshore.  The deserted, peaceful bit of Hessle Foreshore where nobody goes, despite it being part of the Trans Pennine Trail.

Ahhh, lovely.  I was hoping for a bench or something to sit and eat my bacon sarnie, errr, tuna and coleslaw wrap, but had to settle on sitting on the “sea” defences instead.  Looking over to my right there’s the Humber Bridge, far enough away to not hear the traffic roaring over it:

And looking over to my left there’s the chemical works at Saltend, complete with the ever-present cooling towers:

Phew!  I do get an attack of separation anxiety when I can’t see them  :-X

In all fairness, it was nice sitting there in the sunshine for 10 minutes whilst I ate my lunch and I could have sat there a little while longer but, instead, I retraced my steps.

The steepest ascent of the day being the steps back up to the road:

I couldn’t wait to check my height gain on ViewRanger  ;D

Ohhh, how I wished I was turning right instead of left:

Interestingly (or not) I wondered how old the signs were as we’ve not been a “brigade” for years.  And years.  And years.

I returned from No Man’s Land back into Hull:

…and continued (carefully) across the spaghetti junction slip-roads, the sun now behind me.

This next pic of our comms mast is most definitely not my best pic of the day:

What you can’t see (and what I was trying to get a picture of) is the christmas tree at the top.  Yes, that dark bit near the pointy bit is a christmas tree.  Impressive, huh?  :D   It’s been up there years and the tale of how it got there gets taller with each telling.

I re-crossed Priory Way and headed down the little leafy lane by the side of our building:

I kicked through the damp leaf litter, thus discovering my mesh trainers are not waterproof. 

Back on Summergroves Way again and it was back on with the facemask as I prepared to return to my artificially lit prison cell for the afternoon.

And that, folks, concludes The Best Trip Report Ever  O0

If anyone has any ideas on how the tree got up there, please do let me know!

Thanks for reading  :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: MUST READ – Best Trip Report Ever
« Reply #1 on: 19:44:21, 01/12/20 »
and the height gained was............................?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:04:43, 01/12/20 »
What this thread needs is........  :-X
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:26:10, 01/12/20 »
 ;D  Great report Mel.
We all have to get out when and where we can these days.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:41:00, 01/12/20 »
The height gained by the Xmas tree was dizzy...great report Mel .. The best.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:15:58, 01/12/20 »
Brilliant TR Mel   -   really enjoyed it     :)

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:21:13, 02/12/20 »
Blue Skies, long range sea views, lung bursting ascents.. what an adventure O0
Could do with more mud and perhaps a dodgy stream crossing but apart from that.  Perfect ;)    

snaderson

« Reply #7 on: 07:55:40, 02/12/20 »
Great report - I now know what my first post-lockdown walk is going to be! I'll see if I can tempt my dad away from the urban grime of Driffield.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:00:46, 02/12/20 »
Great report Mel  O0  Your walk looks more interesting than the same ones we have been doing for 4 weeks  ;D
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:16:22, 02/12/20 »
Enjoyed that Mel - good to get out.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:46:33, 02/12/20 »
Thanks Mel you made me laugh, I needed something to cheer me up.
But the Foreshore made your walk worthwhile didn't it?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:12:49, 02/12/20 »
Hessle, the start of the Yorkshire Wolds when travelling in the correct direction, and the Gateway to the Viking Way when heading to the sooth., and into lazy, lazy, Lincolnshire.
Great TR, brought a little ray of comfort into an otherwise bleak existence.

No Trolls on the foreshore, then.

Did you know that the oldest log House in the UK is along there somewhere. They also dug up the oldest plank built boat from the mud somewhere about there.
« Last Edit: 12:00:53, 02/12/20 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:37:38, 02/12/20 »
Classic TR Mel. Brings back some memories of my years in Hull, those railway lines took me back and forward through the 1980s. Amazing the colours of the Humber, one day blue and the next a brown which nature has no name for.

andybr

« Reply #13 on: 10:09:30, 02/12/20 »
The Hull sign brought a smile to my face. During the runup to the City of Culture year my daughter was a newly qualified teacher at a large comprehensive on the east side of Hull and they held a competition to come up with a slogan to promote the city. The winning entry ended up being "Hull. It's better than Scunthorpe."

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:58:02, 02/12/20 »
Thanks Mel, enjoyed! O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy