Author Topic: Maps and Walking in New Zealand  (Read 4410 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps and Walking in New Zealand
« Reply #30 on: 23:14:23, 13/11/19 »
Bon voyage.  It’s an awful long flight!
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 04:38:55, 14/11/19 »
I’ve only just seen/read this thread! Lots of useful info too.
I hope you & Mrs G have a fabulous time Buzy  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:24:58, 19/11/19 »
Our second day in NZ today. 

The NZtopoApp is a brilliant tool.  Having snapshoted the detail for all the areas we plan to visit.  I have been using it today driving just click on he locate icon and it zooms right in on your location at 1:50k detail, then you can switch over to the aerial photos and get even more detail for walking. If only the OSApp was so simple to use and completely free.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:40:13, 19/11/19 »
Our second day in NZ today. 

The NZtopoApp is a brilliant tool.  Having snapshoted the detail for all the areas we plan to visit.  I have been using it today driving just click on he locate icon and it zooms right in on your location at 1:50k detail, then you can switch over to the aerial photos and get even more detail for walking. If only the OSApp was so simple to use and completely free.
  It is less good for paths.  For example, the Redwoods in Rotorua is criss crossed by foot and bike trails but the Topo App shows virtually nothing in the way of trails.  ViewRanger on the the other hand shows most of them.  I would recommend having off line maps in both apps.  I also experienced a problem zooming on off line maps.  I frequently had to reverse and zoom again having changed the centre point.  IMHO the maps are handicapped by being 50k and are crude at higher zoom.
For in car navigation I used GoogleMaps which gives steering directions as well. 
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:44:24, 19/11/19 »
  It is less good for paths.  For example, the Redwoods in Rotorua is criss crossed by foot and bike trails but the Topo App shows virtually nothing in the way of trails.  ViewRanger on the the other hand shows most of them.  I would recommend having off line maps in both apps.  I also experienced a problem zooming on off line maps.  I frequently had to reverse and zoom again having changed the centre point.  IMHO the maps are handicapped by being 50k and are crude at higher zoom.
For in car navigation I used GoogleMaps which gives steering directions as well.

The biggest plus so far is the detail on the Arial photos and switching between them and 1:50k map off line.  Yes the detail on the maps is crude and old school 1 inch style.  The photos though are detailed. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy