Author Topic: Saw my first wild camper for 2021 on SWCP today  (Read 1579 times)

cornwallcoastpathdweller

Braver man than me walking North from Newquay all kitted out with tent etc.
Certainly going to be enjoying a few 'wild' nights during this coming week.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Saw my first wild camper for 2021 on SWCP today
« Reply #1 on: 16:03:14, 19/01/21 »

McDonalds must be furloughing staff again.

Maybe why the wild camper was on the SWCP. Each time we have had (almost) real lock down I have noticed and passed the time of day with people with back packs/carrier bags away from the city centre along footpaths into the countryside. A couple who I've asked have said yes, they are sleeping 'out'.  I wonder if a quiet city centre with shops closed is not a comfortable place for them.

(ps I did understand the context in which you posted)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #2 on: 16:42:09, 19/01/21 »

Maybe why the wild camper was on the SWCP. Each time we have had (almost) real lock down I have noticed and passed the time of day with people with back packs/carrier bags away from the city centre along footpaths into the countryside. A couple who I've asked have said yes, they are sleeping 'out'.  I wonder if a quiet city centre with shops closed is not a comfortable place for them.

(ps I did understand the context in which you posted)

Could very well be, and if so fair play to the guy for doing something with the time, he was certainly kitted up for a good few days away. 
Not the best of weathers for it mind, blowing a gale, very wet and the path itself for the next 20 odd miles north towards Padstow is in a dreadful state currently.
As much as i like and walk that section myself, id sooner be comfy at home with my log burner blazing away.  O0

one step then another then another then a bench - please?

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:44:01, 19/01/21 »
There has been a fellow from Scandinavia wild camping on the shore of Loch Leven near Glencoe for the last few months. In Gunwharfman's terminology we would call him a vagabond.During the day he walks around the villages of Ballachulish and Glencoe. Local folk have offered him accommodation, food, etc but he always refuses. He never goes without coffee though and I personally have bought him a meal which he reluctantly accepted. We all look out for him.
Today though, he told my daughter he was moving on.......to Crianlarich. We'll miss him.
He must be very hardy sleeping out for months with the freezing temperatures we've been having.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:58:15, 20/01/21 »
.................... We all look out for him.
Today though, he told my daughter he was moving on.......to Crianlarich. We'll miss him.
He must be very hardy sleeping out for months with the freezing temperatures we've been having.

That's really nice O0

So he's headed south for the winter. ;)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy