Author Topic: Ornance Survey OS MAPS app  (Read 2129 times)

Dread

Re: Ornance Survey OS MAPS app
« Reply #15 on: 10:19:13, 08/12/19 »
I think that Bing maps were available on Windows 8.1 phones as an option. Maybe not now. I don't have a Windows phone to check this though. I was just interested in why some apps charge 20 odd quid for OS maps and others offer them free. Developers integrating the Bing OS maps seems a likely answer.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:58:42, 08/12/19 »
Reading up on Bing OS it looks like they use older iterations of the OS stock. Not a great problem for walkers but maybe not so good for drivers and cyclists as changes most often occur in the urban environment.

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:49:01, 08/12/19 »
Definitely going to have to have a char with the help desk tomorrow.  I have found quite a few of the @500 routes that I have posted are missing from MyRoutes.  I can't be sure if there is a pattern as I have not conducted a full analysis but so far it seems that most of the routes near my current location that have been deleted - but not all of them - very odd.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:11:19, 08/12/19 »
Reading up on Bing OS it looks like they use older iterations of the OS stock. Not a great problem for walkers but maybe not so good for drivers and cyclists as changes most often occur in the urban environment.

Funny you should say that, because on occasions I have compared rural portions of my years-old Memory Map OS maps that are on my pc hard drive with the online Bing OS maps, and I haven't seen any difference between them, when I expected the Bing ones to be more up to date.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:23:59, 08/12/19 »
Im beginning to think for me personally there are no advantages in paying for a O S subscription. One can create routes on Walklakes, print it off and I use Garmin gps so could download a gpx route to it...job done.I like the OS mapping app and playing around creating/saving routes but it is beginning to lose its appeal at £25 a time.
« Last Edit: 14:30:57, 08/12/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:50:04, 08/12/19 »
Im beginning to think for me personally there are no advantages in paying for a O S subscription. One can create routes on Walklakes, print it off and I use Garmin gps so could download a gpx route to it...job done.I like the OS mapping app and playing around creating/saving routes but it is beginning to lose its appeal at £25 a time.
which is why I currently like Viewranger due to the quality of it various types of free downloadable maps as well as the ability to subscribe or not, to fully updated OS maps as well as being able to purchase just enough of the OS maps (tiles) to complete a particular walk.
I am looking at other apps when time allows. There are quite a lot out there at the moment.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:31:55, 10/12/19 »
Definitely going to have to have a char with the help desk tomorrow.  I have found quite a few of the @500 routes that I have posted are missing from MyRoutes.  I can't be sure if there is a pattern as I have not conducted a full analysis but so far it seems that most of the routes near my current location that have been deleted - but not all of them - very odd.
  I had a deeper look at my missing routes, up to 10 per cent were missing and despite my initial impression, the missing routes were fairly random.  I spoke with the OS help desk this morning, they were at a loss.  We speculated if there was an upper limit of routes per user but the help desk chap said he did not think there was one.  He took my user name and said he would try to arrange for all my files to be restored.  Just over 2 hours later, they seem to be back. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy