Author Topic: Advice for a Yorkshire newcomer  (Read 3805 times)

MattinHerts

Advice for a Yorkshire newcomer
« on: 16:13:04, 10/01/21 »
Have booked to be in Settle for the late May bank holiday.  Any recommended routes for a novice walker and leen photographer?

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice for a Yorkshire newcomer
« Reply #1 on: 17:08:33, 10/01/21 »
A few questions and I may be able to help a little bit.

What sort of distance(s) are you looking at walking?

Is there anything that will limit the type of routes you will use?

Are you just looking at Settle to start walks from or are you able to travel to the surrounding areas?

I feel one problem you may face is that if we are out of any form of lockdown, many of the well-known locations will be very busy, especially over a bank holiday weekend.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

MattinHerts

« Reply #2 on: 18:25:49, 10/01/21 »
Yes I agree about lockdown, but it's the bank holiday that lets me get up to Yorkshire .... lI think that's what we're going to get for at least a year once life is back to something nearer normal.

I will be bassed in Settle, but have the car so am fairly flexible.  Would prefer long(ish) day walks, for me that's probably in the 7-12 mile range.  No mobility issues but I am scared of heights so very keen to avoid razor ridges!

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:55:00, 10/01/21 »
Have a look at Around ribblehead on this part of the forum
as well as Janets foss, Gardale Scar,
you can also look back at other walks that people on here have done.

Somewhere else to consider is the Forest of Bowland some lovely walks and wildlife around there.

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

MattinHerts

« Reply #4 on: 19:03:59, 10/01/21 »
thanks, appreciate it

One F

« Reply #5 on: 21:08:25, 10/01/21 »
Assuming we are not still restricted, a few walks to consider:-

Settle - a circular, caves and waterfalls, walk. Takes in Scaleber Force, Victoria Cave, Jubilee Cave, Catrigg Fosse, Stainforth Force.

Settle - another circular retracing the footsteps to Stainforth Force then to Smearsett Scar, Wharfe and Oxenber Woods (late bluebells may still be out along with the purple orchids), Feizor (call at Elaine's cafe for tea and cake), Buckhaw Brow, Giggleswick Scar and the old quarry, Giggleswick village.

Malham - yet another circular walk. Janets Foss, Gordale Scar, Malham Tarn, Pennine Way south via Watlowes and Malham Cove (RSPB wardens  may be in attendance and have their scopes trained on the Peregrine Falcons nesting high on the Cove).

Austwick - circular taking in Norber Erratics, Crummackdale, Beggars Stile, Thieves Moss, Sulber Gate, Wash Dubs, Wharfe.

Ribblehead - wander about walks. Park at the station and visit the cafe and Information Centre for the story of Ribblehead Viaduct. Walk to the viaduct then on past Blea Moor signal box to Force Gill waterfall. Back to Ribblehead and a short road walk (and then grassy path) to the old packhorse bridge over Thorns Gill, continue to the almost demolished hamlet of Thorns, back to Riiblehead via Ribble Way to Gearstones and then road walk back to car.

Ingleton - waterfalls walk (you have to pay for this one).

If you want one of the 3 peaks then how about Ingleborough - park at Clapham, ascend via Long Lane, Sulber Nick, Simon Fell Breast. Back via Little Ingleborough, Gaping Gill, Trow Gill, Ingleborough Show Cave and the Nature Trail back into Clapham. Late May Bank Holiday (and August Bank Holiday) the local caving club set up a winch to take the public down into the depths of Gaping Gill - maybe not for you if you don't like heights as the descent is via a bosuns chair some 320' down to the bottom of the cave, but well worth a visit to the see the tented village set up for the event. Covid caveat - all of course depending on these events and attractions being open.

You should be able to plot routes on the OS map of the area, but if you need further info just let me now and I'll do mi best to help.

It's a wonderful area full of magnificent limestone landscapes, excellent walks, first class quality of life and top class folks (well, some of us are ....)

MattinHerts

« Reply #6 on: 21:38:20, 10/01/21 »
Thank you very much One F, plenty here to get planning!

Eyelet

« Reply #7 on: 11:04:50, 24/01/21 »
All good suggestions. Good though the scenery is, I personally wouldn't go anywhere near Malham on a Bank Holiday weekend, especially in times of Covid! Clapham gets rammed too. Google Earth is a good way to research possible parking spots away from the honeypot villages and car parks. You will find GPX tracks of probably all of these suggested walks on the OSmaps site.

I would add two walks which may be a tad less busy - a round of Pen-y-ghent and Plover Hill starting from roadside parking at Dale Head and returning via Foxup and Pen-y-ghent Gill. Also a round of Kingsdale from roadside parking SE of the Cheese Press Stone (near the old quarry) via the Turbary Road, Rowten Pot, Yordas Cave (take a torch and go inside, it's an old Victorian show cave) and return via Braida Garth and Ravenray Bridge.

As a photographer, don't miss a saunter around the old Hoffmann Kiln site at the old Craven Limeworks at Langcliffe, just up the road from Settle, for something different.

I can also recommend two excellent and free route-sharing sites with photos, maps etc: The Walking Englishman (Mike Brockhurst, who lives in in Harrogate) https://www.walkingenglishman.com/ and Yorkshire Walks (Frank Firth, who lives in Easingwold) https://www.yorkshirewalks.org/ - you'll be spoilt for choice ... !
« Last Edit: 11:09:20, 24/01/21 by Eyelet »

MattinHerts

« Reply #8 on: 12:00:56, 24/01/21 »
Appreciate the input, thanks.  Agree the crowds are a concern.  I grew up in NZ hearing tales from my lancashire born grandparents of the risks of heading into Yorkshire  ;D   

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:33:11, 24/01/21 »
Not my area but in respect of your comment re heights I found descending into Gordale Scar a bit hairy. Not so much because of enormous height or exposure but because the footpath (on the OS as a PRoW) goes round a corner just as you go over the edge so you can't see what it is leading you to.
I think going up would have been less worrying though it is bit of a scramble anyway.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

MattinHerts

« Reply #10 on: 15:05:20, 24/01/21 »
Not my area but in respect of your comment re heights I found descending into Gordale Scar a bit hairy. Not so much because of enormous height or exposure but because the footpath (on the OS as a PRoW) goes round a corner just as you go over the edge so you can't see what it is leading you to.
I think going up would have been less worrying though it is bit of a scramble anyway.

Thanks - will check it out in more detail because it looks like a great walk, just don't want to ruin it with being weak at the knees and bricking it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:30:38, 24/01/21 »
As well as the good suggestions above, do consider upper Wharfedale, Littondale and Nidderdale. Some lovely valley walks, as well as hills like Buckden Pike. Nidderdale is likely to be quieter than most.

PS - welcome to the forum.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Eyelet

« Reply #12 on: 16:36:01, 24/01/21 »
As well as the good suggestions above, do consider upper Wharfedale, Littondale and Nidderdale. Some lovely valley walks, as well as hills like Buckden Pike. Nidderdale is likely to be quieter than most.

I agree that these are also great parts of the Dales to walk, but a bit further to drive from Settle. I live in Nidderdale and if even if you keep away from Pateley Bridge and the car park at Scar Reservoir (80 cars parked there one weekend after lockdown finished), it was still remarkably busy last year especially at weekends due to the rammed camping and caravan sites at Pateley and Lofthouse, plus the inevitable influx of day trippers from West Yorkshire etc. especially on a Bank Holiday weekend.

If you do decide to go to Littondale or Upper Wharfedale then go very early to find a parking space - if you don't, Arncliffe, Litton, Kettlewell, Starbotton, Buckden are likely to be full of parked cars and a lot of the roadside laybys will also taken - we live in a different world now! :(

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:39:27, 24/01/21 »
I must confess that it has been decades since I have been to Nidderdale - my info is obviously well out of date.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Eyelet

« Reply #14 on: 16:51:54, 24/01/21 »

Thanks - will check it out in more detail because it looks like a great walk, just don't want to ruin it with being weak at the knees and bricking it.

It is a classic limestone walk. The mild scramble at the back of Gordale Scar is easier on the ascent and in low water conditions. There are several YouTube videos to help you make your mind up whether to give it a go. Ignore videos of the scramble to the right of the waterfall, that is not where the path goes!

I would agree with Jac that it can't really be described as exposed but you certainly won't be alone for long should you need a (socially distanced) hand! 

I would suggest starting it at roadside parking near Water Sinks or Street Gate, then walking down the Watlowes to Malham, then over to Gordale. The same parking can be used to start an excellent quieter walk over to Littondale via Cote Gill, Arncliffe and the Monks Road.
« Last Edit: 22:47:16, 24/01/21 by Eyelet »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy