Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 4105 times)

wilde

Where to start?
« on: 08:47:15, 06/06/08 »
Hi,
I'm 57 and after an adult life of dreaming about solitary adventure now I'm determined to start hiking.
So, I live in the south east UK and think probably Dartmoor would be a good place to start hiking and camping. Can anyone give any general advice about this (i.e. start at point A and keep walking west etc.) I'm not stupid so I'm not planning on going into potentially dangerous places as yet (mountains, bogs etc.) I just want to put in a lot of walking and camp when I'm tired, also and most importantly I want to be as much as is reasonable to expect in high season UK,  ALONE.
Any suggestions? Maybe point me in another direction other that Dartmoor?
Also I'm going to Lower Normandy in a couple of weeks and have a couple of weeks speare for walking and camping - any suggestions there?
Many thanks in advance
Brendan

muymalestado

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: 11:55:46, 06/06/08 »
Welcome wilde

No one can say Dartmoor is without its dangers, so be careful there.

To avoid issues surrounding permission to camp - come to Scotland.

I think this next one will be the top ...

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 13:44:51, 07/06/08 »
In my opinion you can't beat Dartmoor.    I love walking there, although it can be very hard if  you choose the wrong spots, so for starters, avoid the western ranges.    The terrain is very difficult and the landscape sufficiently featureless to make navigation difficult.    However, once you're feeling confident, there is some wonderful 'lone' walking to be had there, in fact I've worked out a 3 day route that I intend to do sometime over the ranges.

As a starter, and I've mentioned this briefly in another thread recently, try the 2 Moors Way.    This starts at Ivybridge, and you could walk to somewhere like Drewsteignton with a couple of nights out on the moors.    The 2 Moors Way has multiple routes, allowing those who want to stay out on the moor to do so, while giving options that enable you to stop at some of the villages.    For example when I did it, on day 1 I walked from Ivybridge to Holne, stopping at the excellent Church House Inn.    Proximity to villages like this is ideal, since it does give you 'escape routes' if things go wrong.    For more detail there's a webiste, and the route with alternatives is on the OS map.

Also, as I pointed out recently, the NPA does allow wild camping.

S.
« Last Edit: 13:54:08, 07/06/08 by Snowman »

Mairi

« Reply #3 on: 07:24:06, 09/06/08 »
Sound advice as usual, Snowman.
Wilde, I'm curious- what made you wait so long?

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 10:33:52, 09/06/08 »
Thanks Mairi for the kind words.

Brendon - Another thought - I also live in the SE, and usefully almost on top of the M4.   This provides excellent access to S. Wales, and I can thoroughly recommend the Brecons too.   For me it's a 2 hour drive, which makes them even more accessible than Dartmoor.

S.

wilde

« Reply #5 on: 09:12:27, 05/07/08 »
Hi all and thanks - just back from France  and got your replies - very impressed with the quality of advice, it gives me  much confidence to continue. Yes, Snowman, Dartmoor seems to be the one, I'll reread your thoughts carefully and give it a try and let you know.
Mairi, yes, it is late and I don't really know why. I guess maybe it was work or general travelling or a host of other things. Now I think it's because everything seems soooo stressful that I think of the empty spaces again.
thanks again

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy