Author Topic: Go Outdoors / Faulty Hi-Tec Boots  (Read 2930 times)

Just Walk It

Go Outdoors / Faulty Hi-Tec Boots
« on: 19:55:01, 12/07/18 »
Hi all, I'm new here but have been a long time lurker and a much longer time walker! I am just after some advice if possible:

Mid March - ordered some Hi-Tec boots from Go Outdoors for ~£100, received in good condition, wore them round the house to break them in, but I never got to wear them for a proper walk (30km) until the weekend just gone. Upon return after cleaning and during re-waxing I noticed a crack split in the leather near one of the ankle eyelets, and the stitching around the heel is coming away on the same boot (the other boot is fine):

Add https:// to the below URL:

thumbsnap.com/ClhV4gth
thumbsnap.com/wXygVvqY

I ordered online, so I called customer services who advised I need to take them to my nearest store for inspection, then they will be sent back to the manufacturer for inspection or repair and advised that this could take 4 weeks. However my nearest store is ~25 miles each way, so a considerable time sink, plus parking, etc etc. I grumbled on the phone to the customer service representative who advised to email in the complaint with pictures to see if it could be escalated.  4 Working days later I receive an update, advising to take them to my nearest store and they will be sent back to the manufacturer.

I am a bit peeved - I know I probably should have worn them sooner to check them, however I just wondered what my rights are here, they have clearly failed with one use but 4 months after purchasing? Can I demand a refund and then just order a new pair of boots? Or do I have to accept being without them for a month just because I didn't wear them sooner? The reason being - I am going away in 2 weeks' time and - you guessed it - I was planning to take the boots!

Would appreciate any advice if possible - many thanks

Edit - sorry I can't post external links
« Last Edit: 19:58:06, 12/07/18 by Just Walk It »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Go Outdoors / Faulty Hi-Tec Boots
« Reply #1 on: 20:25:34, 12/07/18 »
Regardless of what any manufacturer or retailer might say all goods supplied in this country are now covered The Consumer Rights Act 2015 which became law on 01 October 2015.

These few web pages may help explain exactly where you stand and what you can do about it if you do have problems. The last link is probably the most useful.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/supply-of-goods-and-services-act-1982

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-get-a-faulty-product-replaced-or-repaired

My understanding is that under the Consumer Rights Act you have 30 days in which to reject faulty goods. If you're outside the 30-day right to reject, the retailer has an opportunity to repair or replace any faulty goods or digital content before offering a full refund. If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it's presumed to have been there from the time you received it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise. During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there at the time of delivery - it's not up to you to prove that it was. If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund, or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

You should not have problems with most reasonable manufacturers or retailers as they all know that any unresolved case can be referred to the Consumer Ombudsman or as a last resort they can end up having to answer and defend a claim in the small claims court which, should they lose the case, would be far more costly than a pair of their most expensive boots. In this case I don't think it's unreasonable for the retailer to request that you return the boots to your nearest store so that they can investigate the complaint.

Just Walk It

« Reply #2 on: 20:47:54, 12/07/18 »
Thank you for the information - I've had a read, and the link says "  [size=0px] If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund, or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product"  
It is not clear who gets to decide if it is repaired or replaced - is it me the customer or the retailer? If they offer to repair do I have to accept it?

I guess the request to return to store for inspection isn't unreasonable, but my issue with returning to the store is it's a 2+ hour trip on public transport each way (plus the cost) - I offered to send them via post when I explained this, but was told they needed to check they fitted my feet properly and the damage wasn't caused by misuse. OK, I can accept this point, but I would argue the faults present are really not caused by this over a single short use and the photos provided to Go would explain this, but they did still insisted I visit the store, plus I have to accept the delay of 4 weeks for them to be returned to the manufacturer.

What are my rights here for insisting on a refund at the store, then I'll just buy a new pair when at the store, to save the time delay?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:54:09, 12/07/18 »
My understanding is that if you're outside the 30-day right to reject period (which you obviously are) the retailer must be given the opportunity to either repair or replace the goods before a refund is considered.

As stated in my earlier post if an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund, or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

Just Walk It

« Reply #4 on: 21:03:54, 12/07/18 »
Thanks - so I can just offer the retailer the chance to replace the goods? Or do they have the choice to chose repair? This is a little unclear? I.e. Can I just ask them to replace them, that way I could come away with the replacement product saving time without the use of the product and perhaps a repeat journey

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:10:00, 12/07/18 »
I could be wrong but my guess would be that the store won't offer you anything except to agree to send your boots away to the manufacturer and a decision or offer will only be forthcoming after the manufacturer has reported back to them.

badgerboy

« Reply #6 on: 15:06:16, 25/07/18 »
Unfortunately, you do have to allow them to investigate and attempt a repair if they feel it is appropriate

Just a suggestion and in no way legal advice, but perhaps if you were to point out to them that any civil claim can also include a claim for incidental expenses caused and occasioned by the fault/breach.
Also point out that Judges themselves are paid £0.55 per mile for travel, to cover petrol, wear & tear etc and you are looking at least 2 round trips. You will be using this figure to calculate your expenses as it is what the Judges use
Plus parking
Plus of course the cost of issuing the claim via money claims online

Your £100.00 boots could end up costing them a lot more

But of course, you'd be prepared to compromise if they wanted to come to you or let you post them back...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:55:05, 25/07/18 »
Surely they will let you post them back? Be a lot cheaper than a 2 hour drive.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:00:28, 25/07/18 »
Unfortunately this is one of the problems if you buy on line from a company without a local store.  They will also want to see you didn't order boots that are too small/large so that's why you can't simply post them back.
Where there's a will ...

Ralph

« Reply #9 on: 17:49:54, 25/07/18 »
A solution  is to not buy HiTec or Karrimor because they are not made to last.  Invest in 
Mendl, Scarpa or Altberg. Quality , expensive,  but worth it .

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:04:49, 25/07/18 »
In the past I have returned defective Meindl boots to Cotswold Outdoors and Mammut boots to Go.  The Meindls were about month old and had seen some use round Snowdonia, the Mammuts were almost a year old and had several hundred miles on them.  In each case I got a full refund, Cotswold did it on the spot and Go after return to the manufacturer.  Tip here, when you buy boots - keep the receipt and the box.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:31:08, 25/07/18 »
A solution  is to not buy HiTec or Karrimor because they are not made to last.  Invest in 
Mendl, Scarpa or Altberg. Quality , expensive,  but worth it .
Thats not really a solution to his current problem, it may be a lesson to be learnt for the future though.There are plenty of people on this forum who use Hi Tec & Karrimor. I use Karrimor for the allotment, they're comfy and sturdy enough.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy