Author Topic: Two very decent blokes sipping cups of tea in Snowdonia  (Read 951 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Last week, my mother had a friend staying with her, someone we had not seen for nearly thirty years.

He had owned a flourishing hard wear business in Canton, Cardiff, but has lived in Pembroke for many years.

He lives in St Dogmaels in Pembroke, and has been a very avid walker and climber for most of his life.

It had been many years since he had visited North Wales, and no visit would have been complete without visiting the Pen Y Gwyrydd hotel, at the bottom of Pen Y Pass.

Sitting at the newly refurbished bar, were Eric Jones and Carodog Jones, and around nine crew members of S4C, making a television programme to be broadcast later this year.

Caradog Jones was the first Welshman to stand on the summit of Mt Everest, back in 1995, and Eric has reached the highest point on earth, twice.

The timing was magnificent, to meet two of your climbing hero's in one afternoon, and to leave the hotel on cloud nine, venturing home back to Pembroke after an adventure of a life time.

There could not have been anyone more suitable sitting at the bar in the tiny hotel.

Someone who has climbed in the Alps, and other parts of Europe, for longer than ive been alive, to speak to one of his hero's, made his holiday, and Eric was so warm and welcoming.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Two very decent blokes sipping cups of tea in Snowdonia
« Reply #1 on: 15:42:14, 25/03/17 »
As much as I admire Eric Jones and I've met him twice, I don't recall him summiting Everest, typo maybe?
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy