Author Topic: Which route?  (Read 1983 times)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Which route?
« on: 09:06:55, 10/05/17 »
Hi. I went walking in Mid Wales a very long time ago, organised trip, and now I am going to North Wales next week on my own. I want to walk up Snowdon and I'm a bit nervous about losing my way on hills. I have read a very informative article in Walking Magazine describing all eight routes and I think my best choice would be Llanberis or Ranger route.

I see Llanberis is longer and follows the railway, but I wondered if this would be too easy. Next choice is Ranger route, shorter and a bit more interesting. Both Youth Hostels have vacancies.

Questions. Can I leave my car at these hostels while I do the walk, I would stay the night before. Is Ranger easy to follow? Will there be loads of people on these routes? I don't want to scramble . How do I check the weather the day before? Looks sunny for the rest of May.

Sorry for being a whimp, I love walking by myself but I hate getting lost.
Thanks,
Ilona

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Which route?
« Reply #1 on: 09:17:26, 10/05/17 »
Weather info here http://www.mwis.org.uk/english-welsh-forecast/SD/ and, as I am sure you know as a seasoned hosteler, it will be displayed in the YH.

I have always emailed hostels if I wanted to leave my car, either before checking in or after checking out, before I went just to make sure that this is OK and to give them my registration number in case they are wondering who this strange vehicle belongs to. It has never been a problem.

Details of the Ranger Path are here http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/walking/mountain-walks/snowdon-ranger] and you can even follow the route on the map, just put the little man down on the path.

You would be very lucky/unlucky to be alone on either path on a nice day in May.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:57:18, 10/05/17 »
A few years ago I, and a friend and two dogs, went up by the Pyg track and down on the Llanberis path (then back to our car by bus). Neither route was too difficult either physically or route finding, though the Pyg track was steeper and rocky towards the top. I think I would have found the Llanberis path a wee bit dull to go both up and down and personally prefer going up steeper rockier bits  than down (knees).

Have just checked on travel  line and there are lots buses between Llanberis and the YHA at Pen y Pass. Sadly you can't use english bus passes on welsh buses >:( but then they can't use theirs in England either ;D so much for a united kingdom :-\

Incidentally, what make/model is your campercar? My car is too short to stretch out.

Have a great time in Snowdonia
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:00:02, 11/05/17 »
Hiya both. Thanks for the links, very useful. I've been down both routes on a bike with youtubers, ha ha.  Crikey, it's scary to sit on the handlebars  ;D  I'm not a fan of picking my way for miles over loose rocks, get fed up of looking down at my feet, want to admire the view. The amount of people up there is a bit off putting, I am most definitely not a crowd person. I don't mind a few folks, but hoards  :( .
What does one do for a pee when there is no cover? I am thinking of wearing a skirt so I can squat where I am.  :D  Is there a loo up there?

Still undecided, trying to fit everything into one week is the problem.

Jac, my car is a Focus Estate. I can stretch out in the back. Need to put a bit more padding under my bum though, another duvet perhaps.

Ilona

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:45:15, 11/05/17 »
I know exactly what you mean, in wanting to go solo, its my preferred choice as well, as you do not have to rely on others, some of whom will let you down, or change their plans without letting you know.

Both of your chosen routes are very straight forward, with the Snowdon Ranger being the easier alternative, in wet and windy weather, but that's been a rarity in the past five weeks here in North Wales.

There is limited parking near the Snowdon Ranger Youth Hostel, with most of the parking resrerved for guests, but Bettws Garmon is only a mile further down the road, where one can usually park safely.

The weather has been so settled in the past month, that i noticed that even Llyn Caseg, below the slopes of Er Elen, in the Carneddau range, is pretty low on water, and due to its location, it never seems to diminish in size, but its certainly smaller than usual.

Parking will be easier for the Llanberis path, but which ever path you choose, none of them are beyond a keen walker, but personally if you want a more dramatic view of Mt Snowdon, and want peace and solitude, the Snowdon ranger would be the best choice.

Currently i am entertaining a friends young son, from Gillford, who is in North Wales, having booked a map reading course in Plas Y Brenin this coming weekend.

I have been taking him on my top five favourites in Snowdonia.

We have done the Cwm Eigiau Horseshoe,  Cwm Caseg from Gerlan,  and a very tiring double traverse from Ogwen to Foel Fras and back,  taking in the 7 3000ft summits on our way.

Tomorrow  is Cader Idris, weather permitting, as the forecast is changeable at last, and before he goes home next week, a Rhinog extravaganza, of Moelfre to Diffwys, with one of the gorgeous all day breakfasts at the teapot cafe up the road from my house before we start

He climbed Snowdon some time ago, so thank fully the lure of the mountain is not strong, but i have been taking him on these epic days out, so he can practice his compass and mp skills for this weekend.

Haggiseater

« Reply #5 on: 19:20:27, 13/05/17 »
I went up snowdon last summer using the ranger path. On a clear day, it would be near impossible to get lost. Not many people around ( but always somebody fairly close) up until the point that the railway track is reached, then hundreds ! There are loos available at the station but en route you might struggle a bit for privacy !
The loo at the car park at the start/end of the ranger path was the stinkiest I've ever visited however at the end of my walk that day it was also the most welcome !

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:39:40, 14/05/17 »
Thanks. I keep changing my mind, still not sure. Hundreds of people put me off. Wednesday seems ok for weather. I'm off tomorrow, will decide in a couple of days. There's other places I want to see.

Ilona

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:20:38, 25/05/17 »
I'm back. I loved Wales, but decided not to go up Snowdon. I am not one to follow the crowd, I want to enjoy the whole of the walk, not just the bit where you get to the top. It would be nice to say I have done it, but if the journey up and down there is not enjoyable I don't want to bother.

On the way there I saw the Anderton Boat Lift at Northwich. Then on to Llangollen for two nights. Walked along the canal to Pontycysyllte Aqueduct and back along Offas Dyke Path. Saw a steam train but didn't go on it, saw Horseshoe Falls. Then to Portmeirion. On to Caernarfon. Across the bridge to Anglesey, walk around Menai. Then to Holyhead for two night, walked around the coastal path, North Stack, South Stack. Finished up at Llandudno. great holiday. 46 miles walked, not a lot, but fabulous scenery and interesting places.

Ilona

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy