Author Topic: Wasdale weekend  (Read 2651 times)

Dave Wood

Wasdale weekend
« on: 22:20:55, 01/10/08 »
Saturday 27/09

We departed a sleepy South Yorkshire at 04.30 and arrived at wonderful Wasdale Head just before 9 O'Clock.
Half an hour later, the tents had been pitched in the field near the hotel and we were on our way alongside Mosedale Beck en-route to the top of Black Sail Pass.
The high tops were in cloud denying us the spectacular views we had hoped for but the weather forecast promised better as the day progressed.
Just beyond Looking Stead we encountered the local Mountain Rescue team out on a training exercise. They followed us closely as we turned off the main path and headed towards Robinson’s Cairn which was nice of them.
[nofollow]
Pillar Rock and The Shamrock Traverse

After a sandwich stop at the cairn, watching the climbers on Pillar Rock, we took the Shamrock Traverse and the short scramble up to the crowded summit of Pillar.
Then followed Scoat Fell, Steeple and Red Pike.
The clouds had started to lift and we had our first views of the Scafells and Great Gable as we descended to Dore Head.
[nofollow]
Great Gable from Ridge between Steeple and Scoat Fell

[nofollow]
The Scafells and Stirrup Crag from Red Pike

Another break was spent gazing at the formidable looking Stirrup Crag.
Fortunately it is far easier than it looks and provides a marvellous route up splendid Yewbarrow.
The walk along the top of Yewbarrow has been described as Lakeland’s finest mile and I would go along with that. A fitting finale to a classic hill day.

[nofollow]
Dropping Crag, Yewbarrow.

Ritson’s Bar served good food and fine ales as usual and a good night's sleep was had by all.

We emerged from our tents to witness Wasdale in all its glory. There is surely no finer natural Amphitheatre in Britain on such a morning.

[nofollow]
Pillar from Wasdale Head
[nofollow]
Great Gable

The Mosedale Horseshoe would not be an easy act to follow, but our chosen route up Great Gable promised much. We set off along the track beside the small church and soon joined the path leading up the valley to Sty Head where we doubled back on ourselves to join the old climber's path known as the South Traverse. There is much interest over the following half a mile or so, the path comes and goes among boulder fields loose rock and scree, with some nice scrambly bits thrown in for good measure.

[nofollow]
Red Pike and Yewbarrow from Sty Head Path.

[nofollow]
South traverse, Great Gable.

All too soon we reached the towering rock face of Tophet Bastion and decided to take the well named Great Hell Gate. Defying the laws of gravity we somehow made our way to the top of Great Hells Gate pausing often to take in the views (Get Our Breath Back!).

[nofollow]
The Scafells from Great Hell Gate

[nofollow]
Pinnacles above Great Hell Gate.

If Hells Gate was hell, the views from the grassy narrow ridge above Great Napes were pure Heaven.

[nofollow]
Waswater

[nofollow]
Mosedale Skyline.

[nofollow]
Compo  Clegg's Grand Day Out.

Onwards and upwards to the summit of Great Gable, then downwards and homewards.

For a truly memorable mountain weekend, Wasdale takes some beating.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Wasdale weekend
« Reply #1 on: 22:40:35, 01/10/08 »
You seem to have packed a lot into that weekend, Dave.   Ive not been to Wasdale for years and years and years.....All good stuff, though....   Thanks for the report.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dave Wood

« Reply #2 on: 23:17:00, 01/10/08 »
Hi Mike.

All of my grand summer walking plans failed to materialise, for one reason or another, so I was determined to cram it in last weekend.
I love Wasdale to bits....did I mention that Yewbarrow is my favourite hill?

Still not applied for the Challenge. The forms filled in, but I'm torn this year between doing other stuff and doing my 4th Challenge. Still got a week or so to make my mind up.

Keep up the good work with Northern Pies.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:25:45, 01/10/08 »
Ah gwan. Gwan gwan gwan gwan gwan.... you know you want to, really. Get that application in... 

If I get a place, I've planned a repeat visit to Achallater....  hope the lads are OK after their hospital treatments...  Ive got a route from Glenelg (actually , I hope to start on Skye and do a couple of extra days..) and finish at Johnstown   (beach, pub, bus stop all in 30 square metres) If I don't get a place, the route will save for another day.

Glad you like the pies.... there'll be another posting tommorrow.. Might include a pie chart....

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:29:24, 01/10/08 »
Sorry, thats Johnshaven... dhuhhh!

stevieboy378

« Reply #5 on: 13:21:02, 02/10/08 »
Great pics, and I have to agree - Wasdale DOES take some beating - not only is it my favourite corner of Lakeland, its also my very favourite part of the whole world . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

blrovers

« Reply #6 on: 14:31:17, 03/10/08 »
Looks like a fabulous weekends walking that Dave. I love Pillar and the trip to the top up the Shamrock Traverse. Was up Great Gable last weekend but have yet to explore the south traverse with all it's delights. For an average walker, would you say any part (such as Great Hell's Gate) was difficult?

marklimb1975

« Reply #7 on: 16:47:08, 03/10/08 »
I WAS ONE OF THE POOR SOULS DRAGGING MYSELF UP GREAT HELL GATE WITH DAVE ;)

I HAVE DONE A FAIR BIT OF WALKING IN THE LAKES AND CAN SAFELY SAY THAT IT IS NO CAKEWALK.  BECAUSE OF THE LOOSNESS OF THE SCREE YOU ARE CONSTANTLY SCRABBLING ON THE ROCKS ON EITHER SIDE FOR SOMETHING TO HOLD ONTO. 

I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE AS A WAY UP THE MAJESTIC GREAT GABLE.

HOWEVER IF YOU LIKE A BIT OF A SCRAMBLE......

...........IT'S GREAT (QUITE LITERALLY).

Dave Wood

« Reply #8 on: 20:46:51, 03/10/08 »
Thanks for the nice comments Stevie and blrovers. And Hey Mark!.... welcome to this forum mate.
They are a friendly bunch on here, unlike other forums I could mention!

Mark has already given his view on our route up Great Gable on Sunday and I would agree with some,but not all, of his comments regarding Great Hell Gate.

This is my take on it.  I thought the path from Sty Head to the base of the Torphet Bastion was excellent. Full of interest from start to finish with little bits of scrambling/clambering over rocks and boulders if you want it, though avoidable at all times.

As for Great Hell Gate, I agree with Mark that the direct route up the scree would be intolerable and merely standing upright would be an achievement, however for the most part it's possible to cling to the base of Torphet Bastion for much needed support. More clambering, again avoidable at all times.
Thats the down side..... In it's favour is the sense of a true wild Mountain environment. The Scafells opposite, appear to be so close that you could reach out and touch them and the rocky architecture all around is superb. The views from the grassy ridge at the top are as good as any I've ever witnessed. All in all, tough but not at all technical and (in m opinion) far better than being part of a procession of walkers heading up to the top on a badly eroded footpath.

[nofollow]
Mark, nearing the top of Great Hells Gate.
[nofollow]
Yours truly on the ridge.

Hope that between us we have answered your question.

By the way, did I mention Yewbarrow?

blrovers

« Reply #9 on: 21:02:04, 03/10/08 »
Thanks for the nice comments Stevie and blrovers. And Hey Mark!.... welcome to this forum mate.
They are a friendly bunch on here, unlike other forums I could mention!

Mark has already given his view on our route up Great Gable on Sunday and I would agree with some,but not all, of his comments regarding Great Hell Gate.

This is my take on it.  I thought the path from Sty Head to the base of the Torphet Bastion was excellent. Full of interest from start to finish with little bits of scrambling/clambering over rocks and boulders if you want it, though avoidable at all times.

As for Great Hell Gate, I agree with Mark that the direct route up the scree would be intolerable and merely standing upright would be an achievement, however for the most part it's possible to cling to the base of Torphet Bastion for much needed support. More clambering, again avoidable at all times.
Thats the down side..... In it's favour is the sense of a true wild Mountain environment. The Scafells opposite, appear to be so close that you could reach out and touch them and the rocky architecture all around is superb. The views from the grassy ridge at the top are as good as any I've ever witnessed. All in all, tough but not at all technical and (in m opinion) far better than being part of a procession of walkers heading up to the top on a badly eroded footpath.

Mark, nearing the top of Great Hells Gate.

Yours truly on the ridge.

Hope that between us we have answered your question.

By the way, did I mention Yewbarrow?

Thanks for that Mark and Dave and it's certainly got me keen to investigate further the delights of Great Gable.

I've not done Yewbarrow so I'd certainly like to know more of your experiences of Bell Rib and Great Door.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy