Author Topic: Cairngorm regulars - overnight parking for Gleann Eanaich/Braeriach/Lairig Ghru?  (Read 2833 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
What is the parking like at Whitewell, on the minor road south of Inverdruie/Coylumbridge? I'll be arriving around 1330, rather late if places are limited.

I'm planning an overnight foray up Gleann Eanaich/Braeriach/Lairig Ghru this weekend.

Or are there any other decent places to park for free?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Davidedgarjones

As I recall we were one of 3 cars parked there a fortnight ago around 8.30am, so several spaces left. Hope you get better weather than we did - rain and strong winds on the plateau. (We were mountain biking into Glen Einich).
Dave

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks Dave. Weather forecast looking good.  :)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
If Whitewell is full then there is a bit of parking where the wee path goes down to reach the Baird and Barrie Memorial stone ….marked cairn on the map.  I guess that is more than just a memorial ....Baird is interred there.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks Vizzavona - I've spotted the cairn on the map.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Just discovered that the Google car has been up the Whitewell road - on Streetview there appear to be plenty of places where you can pull off the road and park.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Yes used that parking quite a few times, plenty of spaces around there. Have a good trip.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks Owen. Looking forward to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Hmm - thunderstorms in the Cairngorms tomorrow afternoon - may have to modify my plans  :o

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Just for the record - loads of parking along the road to Whitewell.

I managed to dodge the thunderstorms, and climbed Sron na Lairige and Braeriach, before camping at Loch Coire an Lochan, at an altitude of 1000m. Absolutely magical - TR incoming.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
I’m glad you missed the worst of the weather. Just outside the Cairngorms national park, we had several hours of thunder and lightning, giant hailstones and torrential rain causing flash flooding- probably an inch of rain in 15 minutes.⛈

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
I guess that you just managed to get your trip in prior to the forecasted poorer weather.
Very nice images that show up the area well.
My day trips in recent times have been using the 'stride enhancer' to get to Braeriach via the wee path, that fades after a bit, to get to the high ground using the ridge between Coire an Lochain and Coire Ruadh and another earlier by way of the slopes north of Loch Mhic Ghille-chaoile.
Look forwards to the report.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

I heard rumbles of thunder in the distance as I was climbing, and was all set to bail out down into a valley if they came any closer!

Rained overnight a bit, but no thunder - I felt safe enough down in the corrie.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy