Author Topic: Does this happen to anyone else?  (Read 2356 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Does this happen to anyone else?
« on: 18:40:24, 18/03/18 »
Feeling warm when out walking and shivering (as in goosebumps shivering, not shuddery shivering) once you're back inside your nice cozy, warm home?

This always happens to me, even in summer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Does this happen to anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: 18:56:38, 18/03/18 »
Not exactly the same but when I walked for 9 days in Scotland in Jan/Feb I never felt cold, felt quite warm actually but when I got home and was sitting in my living room with the heating on, I ended up having to put a 2nd jersey on as I was freezing.

I'm just assuming that I was warm in the hills as I had warm walking winter gear on whereas sitting around the house it was just normal clothes.

I guess the solution is to sit indoors with full winter hear on  :D :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:06:22, 18/03/18 »
I'm meaning immediately after a walk Bri  :-\   Plus, the house is plenty warm enough (currently at 20 degrees  :o  )

I could understand it if I'd been sat around all day doing nowt (metabolism nodding off and all that) but not going from feeling warm in the cold to feeling cold in the warm  ;D

Agreed though.  I should have full winter kit on indoors rather than turn the heating up  ;)    :D

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:03:10, 18/03/18 »
 Happens all the time.I have found the best way to counter it is to put on extra clothing and have a warm drink.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/running-and-thermoregulation-the-post-run-shivers/

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:35:01, 18/03/18 »
Very interesting article that Tony. I suffer the opposite to Mel. If I cycle to work I'm hot and sweating when I arrive. Never mind. I have a shower on arrival, and even turn it down to cool to finish. I get dressed in my nice clean clothes and by the time I get to my desk, I'm leaking like mad again. It the probably takes another 30 mins to an hour to get right again.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:12:49, 18/03/18 »
Yes, interesting read tonyk.  Basically it's telling me it happens to anyone who's overweight, sorry, has a large surface area, and is unfit  ;D       :-[   But yes, I put on extra layers and have a cuppa... and still shiver!

Hillhiker1 - I'm the same if I'm actually sweating then jump into a shower, jump out again and get dressed and I feel like I need another shower. 

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:08:47, 19/03/18 »
I’m only guessing Mel, but could it be while out walking you’re generating heat from exercise which is internal.
I have felt hot many times walking, although my body skin was cold.
Once you stop exercising, and stop that internal heat, your external temperature is still cold?

Just a theory, could be a load of b...... :D
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:28:55, 19/03/18 »
Feeling warm when out walking and shivering (as in goosebumps shivering, not shuddery shivering) once you're back inside your nice cozy, warm home?

This always happens to me, even in summer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why?
Here’s a theory.
While you are exercising your body burns calories generating heat. Surface blood vessels dilate and perspiration begins to exploit latent heat of evaporation to cool your body by returning cooled blood to your core. When exercise stops heat generation stops but surface cooling continues for a while. Since this takes place on your skin surface, you feel cold. Entering your cozy home also sends a signal to your body telling it is warm so the “ cooling system” stays on a bit longer.
Solvitur Ambulando

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:31:14, 19/03/18 »
Ultra distance fast walkers and runners including myself, especially after multi day events where the object is keep moving as much as possible, suffer drenching nightime sweats when they go to bed. Lasts about as long as the event does, ie: a weeks event = a week of nightime sweats.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:15:13, 19/03/18 »
Well I'm (sort of) glad there's an element of truth behind my strange not cold shivers and it's not just me. 

... Just need to find a way of minimising or preventing it...  :-\

My first experiment will be getting in and getting a shower straight away, even before my cuppa.  In theory, if my skin is chilled, even though the inside of me isn't, then the shower will warm me up and tell my internal brrrrrr receptors I'm not cold.  Worth a try, and I usually get a shower anyway but it's normally after my cuppa and by then I'm starting to feel shivery.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:06:26, 20/03/18 »

I think I experience the same thing, and from this afternoon's experiment, shower before cuppa.
The trouble is, I am so desperate for that cuppa......
I have been known to take one into the bath with me

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:13:22, 20/03/18 »
Mel, not sure how old you are  ;D but could it be hormone related? I’m now of the age where I seem to get hot/ cold for no particular reason.

Sue

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:12:19, 21/03/18 »
Well I'm (sort of) glad there's an element of truth behind my strange not cold shivers and it's not just me. 

... Just need to find a way of minimising or preventing it...  :-\

My first experiment will be getting in and getting a shower straight away, even before my cuppa.  In theory, if my skin is chilled, even though the inside of me isn't, then the shower will warm me up and tell my internal brrrrrr receptors I'm not cold.  Worth a try, and I usually get a shower anyway but it's normally after my cuppa and by then I'm starting to feel shivery.
It would have to be a longish shower to be effective - luxuriate!
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:01:27, 21/03/18 »
Mel, not sure how old you are  ;D but could it be hormone related? I’m now of the age where I seem to get hot/ cold for no particular reason.

Sue

Oooohhhh how dare you!!  ;D   Fairly sure it's not hormone related as it only happens when I've been out walking/active and come back and sit down for a relax. It seems very predictable in that sense.  Thanks for the heads-up of the joys of things to come though  :-\

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:25:27, 22/03/18 »
Thanks for the heads-up of the joys of things to come though  :-\

Walking helps though so not all bad!  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy