Author Topic: For those who are bored.....  (Read 14293 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: For those who are bored.....
« Reply #150 on: 08:42:12, 15/07/20 »
However he hasn't lost any time against his schedule on this leg. I guess it will depend upon how he feels but he is immensely strong in body and mind so unless he has an injury I think he will carry on after all he "only" has about 70 miles to go! ;D
Edit:He is carrying on after a very short break at Greenhead so I'm going for a walk and catch up on his progress in an hour or so.
« Last Edit: 09:12:52, 15/07/20 by harland »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #151 on: 09:54:51, 15/07/20 »
I wonder if Greenhead will be the end for John too. If he knows he can't threaten the record I doubt he'll carry on.

Whatever happens its still a fine performance,over 200 miles of the Pennine Way in two days.He seems to have picked up pace again and might have clawed back 30 mins by the time he reaches Steele Crag.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #152 on: 10:04:13, 15/07/20 »
Well he's starting to pull it back

emdaw

« Reply #153 on: 10:15:45, 15/07/20 »
According to a Twitter feed from one of his road support he has been having stomach issues and felt unwell hence the 40 mins sleep at Middleton still not so good at dufton but managed to eat something feeling a bit better.  He is still on for the record, going ok along the wall. Current schedule gets him to KY approx 1am. Come on John urging the dots onwards.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #154 on: 11:27:14, 15/07/20 »
Just made a good distance after leaving Hadrian's Wall and "relatively" flat now for quite a time although could be "damp". I still have my faith in him breaking the record.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #155 on: 12:19:16, 15/07/20 »
I still have my faith in him breaking the record.

Pretty sure he is going to do it as he seems to have recovered from his previous problems.He is still going at 2 days 15 hours pace.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #156 on: 15:06:08, 15/07/20 »
You keen dot watchers are more up on how these record attempts work, just checking....

... It states he needs to be in Kirk Yetholm before 3.20 on Thursday morning.
... His spilts show arrival at KY as 22.22 Wednesday, so he has about five hours in hand over current record.
... He has currently just gone through Bellingham at 14.20, split says 11.35, so he is less than three hours behind this, but still within               
    chance of beating record time. Is that correct?

John is still going so must have belief in himself.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #157 on: 15:14:25, 15/07/20 »
The quick answer is yes, hopefully he will set a new record although I thought he would beat it by a lot more after the first few hours.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #158 on: 16:02:08, 15/07/20 »
Lost 35 minutes on that treck from Bellingham, they have only scheduled 30 minutes to get to the road before Padon Hill which I don't think is enough so he will be further behind.

Edit: Whilst he had a short rest he has continued but he seems to have gone slightly off course before Lord's Shaw, it may be due to the conditions.
« Last Edit: 16:39:24, 15/07/20 by harland »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #159 on: 16:41:07, 15/07/20 »
Looks like he is heading back to the path.
He is still loosing time on every section, I hope he has enough time and energy left to make it.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #160 on: 16:55:23, 15/07/20 »
Yes another 28 minutes down on this leg, so 3 hours 49 minutes down on schedule, so he has just over an hour to play with. My earlier confidence is waning. However he is continuing. About 9 miles to Byrness and they have scheduled 95 minutes!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #161 on: 17:07:00, 15/07/20 »
I think I read somewhere that he intended to finish the run even if he couldn't make the record, because of the fundraising part of the challenge.  It looks as if it might be a bit close.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #162 on: 17:17:45, 15/07/20 »
I think I read somewhere that he intended to finish the run even if he couldn't make the record, because of the fundraising part of the challenge.  It looks as if it might be a bit close.

Even Joss Naylor had trouble with this run.He was inside 3 days at Crowden but slowed on Kinder as he neared the finish and ended up with a time of 3 days 4 hours.I was walking the Pennine Way at the time that Mike Hartley set his record.Conditions were almost perfect even though we did have a heatwave at the time.It was the easiest time I have had on the Pennine Way and also my best finish time,albeit a week and bit slower than Mike! The peat was carpet like and this was the year before the stones were put down so it was easier on the feet. If John has had to face poor conditions on the ground its not surprsing he is starting to struggle a bit.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #163 on: 18:03:43, 15/07/20 »
He seems to have been running/jogging a bit on this stage. If he can leave Byrness with 8 hours to get to KY then perhaps the challenge is still on.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #164 on: 18:36:59, 15/07/20 »
He is at Byrness with 8 hours 40 to get to Kirk Yetholm if he is going to take the record.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy