Author Topic: West Highland Way  (Read 6958 times)

batfink21

West Highland Way
« on: 13:18:40, 19/05/06 »
I've just returned from a walk on the West Highland Way - highly recommended! Lots of mountains, lochs, wildlife, etc.

Also, the route passes by a lot of Munros on the way. Take a few extra days (8 or 9) and 'bag' some while you're up there.

Photos and information on my website:
http://www.westhighlandway.org.uk [nofollow]

Chris

• Administrator
Re: West Highland Way
« Reply #1 on: 21:44:44, 23/05/06 »
Thats a great website, batfink. Are you a web designer or something?

Well done on completing the route. What was the most memorable part?
And what would you do differently if you did it again?

batfink21

« Reply #2 on: 12:10:51, 24/05/06 »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments. Yes I am a graphic designer, I created the site to test out some new blogging software we're thinking of using at work.

I think the most memorable part was probably the walk over Rannoch Moor, rounding a corner and being confronted by the amazing Munro, Buachaille Etive Mor - possibly the most beautiful mountain I've ever seen. As we walked down past the mountain we were buzzed by Swedish fighter jets training in the valley, flying well below the summits!

No plans to walk the West Highland Way again, but I'm planning to go back up to Scotland to climb some Munros in August and hoping to get out to Corsica next year to walk the GR20.

If I did do the WHW again, I'd definately aim for doing a very fast and light 3/4 day trip.

walker1

« Reply #3 on: 12:57:42, 05/06/06 »
Hi batfink,

I am doing the WHW in 2 weeks time, i cannot decide whether to take my boots or to wear trail shoes. Would you recommend boots because of the terrain?

Your website is great,  it is good to read about other peoples experiences.  Well done on camping out, i am too much of a woose to camp so it will be bunkhouses for us!

batfink21

« Reply #4 on: 13:52:50, 05/06/06 »
Hi Walker,

It really depends on what you're used to. If I did the WHW again I think i'd probably wear trail shoes/trainers (TNF Hedgehogs maybe...) and carry less stuff with me. With a 15-20kg rucksack boots are probably a good precaution since there are a few tough, uneven patches walking alongside the loch. We were lucky with the weather and didn't get muych rain so the route was fairly solid all the way. If the weather was really bad (rain/snow) I'd probably want warm boots, but if the weather stays like this... take trainers.

If you're having your stuff ferried from bunkhouse to bunkhouse, take boots AND trainers and decide what to wear on the day depending on the terrain you'll be walking on, weather, how sore your feet are, what you'll be carrying, etc.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:14:27, 07/09/06 »
I my self having been thinking about doing this walk just wondering how many days did it take you and which way did you go.

milngavie which is north of Glasgow.
to fort William. Or the other way around

As i never done a walk of this length before or any of the national trails and would like to start walking some of them and is it true that Scotland call this route there pennine way

peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 23:01:56, 28/03/07 »
I didn't post this.  Sorry about this folks.  Wont happen again.  Though I am off on the WHW and will post a brief summary of the trip here.
« Last Edit: 23:36:00, 29/03/07 by titaniumdude »
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Snowman

« Reply #7 on: 09:16:43, 29/03/07 »
I've been considering this myself so thought I'd take a look at your website.    But I get a message that it can't be found?

Cheers, S.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:37:21, 29/03/07 »
Some pics of the WHW here if you want to have a look
walkingforlife.piczo.com
 :)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy