Author Topic: Hi! Recommendations?  (Read 1943 times)

Henri

Hi! Recommendations?
« on: 18:30:26, 04/02/09 »
Hi there! Inspired by the Wainwright series shown recently on the BBC, I'd really like to get up there and do some walks at Easter. I have a six year old son too, who is capable and fit but understandably isn't as keen or able as his Ma!! Wouls the forummers have any suggestions for any walks I could research further - ones with a decent climb, that could be managed in a few hours at a leisurely pace, and with beautiful views (probably a common theme for all walks in the Lakes, although some perhaps mre than others). I'm keen to find something that will be enough of a challenge for him to feel triumphant when we reach the summit.  :) TIA!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi! Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 20:37:12, 04/02/09 »
I think we've talked about this before so it may be worth searching in past threads.

I think I mentioned Catbells last time. Ferry from Keswick up a proper hill with a real top (well there are two so make sure he knows you are heading for the second peak) then back down to the lake and either pick up the ferry there or walk back along to where you off. Ice cream at the cafe by the ferry landing in Keswick.

My kids went up it at 5.

Henri

« Reply #2 on: 22:02:36, 04/02/09 »
Thank you muchly!  :) Just watched Wainwright's Walks on Catbells on BBC, looks great! I am sure the weather won't be as beautiful at Easter, however  :P

kirbstones

« Reply #3 on: 23:40:53, 04/02/09 »
Hi   and Welcome

My six year old was also captivated by the Wainwright series.  We did Catbells together last summer and last weekend were up by Red Tarn on Helvellyn in well sub zero conditions.

Loughrigg is another easy one but it feels like a real mountain and a favourite if mine is Harter Fell in Dunnerdale. Catbells and Loughrigg do get get crowded but Harter Fell is more remote and you don't get the crowds over there.

The weather at Easter can be really good … but then again …
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:47:14, 05/02/09 »
Henri

If you've not done much walking either then Whinlatter Forest has marked paths that you can follow if you pick up a leaflet at the visitors centre and you can walk out of the forest up to Lords Seat.

The only down side is that the forest is full of trees. I don't mind trees in small numbers but gathering together like that is just showing off.

19paul68

« Reply #5 on: 23:03:18, 06/02/09 »
hi i found pavy ark a good walk good views from the summit and a good path up

stevieboy378

« Reply #6 on: 14:58:10, 07/02/09 »
Castle crag, in the jaws of Borrowdale, is another easy but very fulfilling walk . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

blrovers

« Reply #7 on: 18:42:06, 07/02/09 »
Castle crag, in the jaws of Borrowdale, is another easy but very fulfilling walk . . .

I'd certainly agree with that...enough to stretch the legs but not to over exert things on a first venture onto the fells

Walking Mummy

« Reply #8 on: 17:20:36, 17/03/09 »
Hi
We recently did Catbells last year with our two boys of 18 months and 3 years.  You'll love it!!! And the ferry ride is an added bonus and the afire mentioned icecream is worth it and possibly calorie free after the walk.
Enjoy
www.thats-perfect.co.uk - the perfect advertising solutions for you!

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:09:48, 17/03/09 »
One of the easiest and with superb views is a short walk to the summit of Honnister Crag from the car
park top of Honnister pass next to the Honnister Slate Quarry visitors centre

It's an easy walk of about 1 mile and a climb of about 1000ft using the old quarry roads.  Airy views from the summit looking down on the Honnister pass road way below. Great views to the left looking accross to Wainwrights Fav. Haystacks.

Then there's an added bonus. A short level walk to the top of Fleetwith Pike with spectacular views looking down on Buttermere.

If you have google earth you can see the walk in 3d detail  Recommended  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy