Author Topic: Backcountry XE  (Read 686 times)

Dread

Backcountry XE
« on: 10:33:40, 27/08/20 »
Following the earlier thread about Ordnance Survey maps on a phone I thought I'd have another look at the Backcountry app and noticed on the Google Play store they have a newer version called Backcountry XE. On initial viewing it seems a big improvement. Available on Android, iOS and PC, clearer interface and no ads but you do have to sign in.

I've always used Viewranger in the past but I've spent about fifty quid in total on maps and my OS subscription needs renewing so I was wondering about switching. The old Backcountry asked for a one off payment of £14.99 to get rid of ads and open up all the functions but XE  uses the annual subscription method. However, it seems as if OS maps (through Bing) are available without subscribing. It works offline and plotting routes seems easy enough. I can't see a downside really, all the features that I use in VR for no cost. Am I missing something?

I've always been confused by how they can offer OS maps for free. They say it is part of their licence with Bing Maps but surely the OS can't be happy with Bing licencing their maps to third party apps who then give them away. Maybe Microsoft give them so much money they don't care.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Backcountry XE
« Reply #1 on: 10:40:24, 27/08/20 »
As per another current thread.

OS can mean Ordinance Survey orOpen Source.

Make sure you know what you are paying for.
« Last Edit: 10:43:33, 27/08/20 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dread

Re: Backcountry XE
« Reply #2 on: 11:30:27, 27/08/20 »
Yes, after that last thread I made sure that I stated Ordnance Survey right from the beginning. Anyway, I've been experimenting with the new app and it seems that if you want to sync between devices and have ORDNANCE SURVEY maps offline you have to pay an annual sub. Cheaper than VR or the ORDNANCE SURVEY app by a tenner but not free.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy