Author Topic: Sleeping bag for spring/autumn  (Read 536 times)

Ronin83

Sleeping bag for spring/autumn
« on: 10:11:36, 11/09/20 »
I currently have a decathlon summer bag which is very light and packs small, but is rated 10-15°C. My snugpak softie expansion 4 covers winter no worries, comfort rating -10 (take that with a pinch of salt of course).
On a recent night out in the decathlon bag, plus liner and bivvy bag, under a tarp, I woke in the early hours feeling the cold. I think it went down to 7 or 8 degrees that night, unusually cold for early September here.
So liners aren't the answer here. Realistically that bag is pretty useless unless it's a proper balmy summer night or I'm bundled in a tent with the missus on a slightly cooler one. I bought it thinking I'd only ever camp in summer. Fool! Haha.
Also the zips constantly snag and I just don't like the design tbh.

So now I'm looking at replacing it with something actually useful.
Don't wanna spend a fortune and don't want down.
Been trying to decide between snugpak travelpak 2 or 3. They suit my budget.

2 is rated at 2 degrees, the 3 is rated at -3 degrees.
The 2 compacts to 19x19cm, the 3 26x22cm. Quite a big difference. As my softie 4 goes to 28x24cm, it seems maybe a bit pointless to get the 3 as I'm not saving much size, though 350g in weight.
The 2 weights 1100g, the 3 is 1500g, neither an issue.

So why not get the 2 you ask? What's the bloody problem?
Good question! I've heard mixed reviews on snugpaks temp ratings and one even suggests it's more realistically around 7-10 degrees for the travelpak 2!

Any experience with these bags?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping bag for spring/autumn
« Reply #1 on: 11:00:32, 11/09/20 »
Sorry I can't help, I use a quilt, but I have used my old sleeping bag to improve the heat-retaining qualities of my quilt. My wife's friend cut a rectangular area (about 4 x 3) out of the old sleeping bag, gathered the outer edge down together and then stuffed it into what is now my thicker down blanket. She's fitted 4 little loops on each corner which correspond to the little lugs on my quilt, so now my quilt, when needed, can be double layered. It needed a simple mechanism where the blanket wouldn't slide off, or move in a different direction in the night, as I turn over from one hip to the other.

Until now I have fitted inside my quilt but I became too hot, when I next use it I'm going to secure it to the outside, just easier to throw off if I need to.

If I ever acquire another old sleeping bag I might even get my wife's friend to make me another blanket, just a small short and narrow one, with elastic straps at each corner to keep it secure on top of my mattress. I'm thinking about trying some winter camping and I think such a blanket might be useful?

So don't throw your old sleeping bag away, it could still improve your sleeping experience.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:18:12, 11/09/20 »
deleted
« Last Edit: 11:54:25, 11/09/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 11:45:38, 11/09/20 »
Thanks, but not what I'm asking.
By the way I was wearing base layers, socks, hat and a fleece. Still cold.

Travelpak 2 or 3

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy