Author Topic: The New Lightwave S10 Sigma single-wall tent review.  (Read 2051 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

I was lucky enough to purchased one of new 2019 model Lightwave S10 Sigma single-wall 1 person, 4 season tents a few weeks ago. I was planning to review it during my Scottish National Trail and Skye Trail walks in April and May. But I've had so much interest in it that I've done an initial review of the tent. I'll be wild camping in it, nearly every night for 2 months. Links to the review and walk are here:

https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/02/08/lightwave-s10-sigma-tent-review-new-2019-model/

https://wildwalkinguk.com/2019/12/01/my-scottish-national-trail-walk/

Both pages will be updated during the walk if you wish to follow them.
Many thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: The New Lightwave S10 Sigma single-wall tent review.
« Reply #1 on: 22:14:09, 08/02/20 »
Good review - but a single skinned tent is not for me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

chrismen

« Reply #2 on: 23:07:54, 08/02/20 »
My Vango Zenith 100 is about 1200g, cost £100. Can’t see me paying £500 extra to shave a few grammes, but this would inspire me to go on a diet. Win-win!  O0

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #3 on: 05:26:39, 09/02/20 »
I'm always looking to write fair reviews, so I had a look at the Vango Zenith 100 and it looks similar sized to my Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 or Photon 1 tents. I used Competition tent on the Cape Wrath Trail and the Photon on the TGO Challenge across Scotland. Both trips I was luckily in pretty good weather because the porches were to small to cook in safely.
How do you get on with condensation after a few nights away in winter? Also the advertised weight of the Vango Zenith 100 2018 model tent is 1.75kg what am I missing?
As far as I can see the 2 tents are quite different in size and size matters when you're living in it in Scotland for 2 months...
You made a good point though, I'll look at some cheaper tents to review in future.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:05:24, 09/02/20 »
Yes, if I had anything like that kind of money to spend on a tent, I would be after the Terra Nova Southern Cross 1. But I can't really justify spending £400+ on a tent.
« Last Edit: 09:27:19, 09/02/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:32:02, 09/02/20 »
Sorry for diverting the thread somewhat, but on the subject of lightweight one man tents, has anyone tried out an Alpkit Soloist yet?

Seems like a steal at £120 for a 1.2kg twin walled tent - Alpkit must be doing something right, as they always seem to be sold out!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:53:47, 09/02/20 »
Sorry for diverting the thread somewhat, but on the subject of lightweight one man tents, has anyone tried out an Alpkit Soloist yet?

Seems like a steal at £120 for a 1.2kg twin walled tent - Alpkit must be doing something right, as they always seem to be sold out!

After reading your post I looked at the Soloist on Alpkit's website, and to be honest I wasn't too impressed.
It is miniscule, with hardly any space between the inner and fly at the sides, and there doesn't appear to be any porch worth speaking of - the specs say length 270cm, internal length 200cm, but it looks like when the door is open the front end doesn't offer any overhead shelter from rain, while if it is done up its extreme slope would make it impossible to to do cooking etc. there.
Compare that with my old end-entrance tent which had a large porch where I could sit on my bum and maybe get my boots spattered with rain, or my present side-entrance tent where I can also sit without getting wet and in addition have all my gear spread either side of me along the porch.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:55:18, 09/02/20 »
Some great YouTube videos on the alpkit tent,. I am very, very tempted.
Too little, too late, too bad......

chrismen

« Reply #8 on: 15:24:31, 10/02/20 »

How do you get on with condensation after a few nights away in winter? Also the advertised weight of the Vango Zenith 100 2018 model tent is 1.75kg what am I missing?
As far as I can see the 2 tents are quite different in size and size matters when you're living in it in Scotland for 2 months...
You made a good point though, I'll look at some cheaper tents to review in future.

My mistake, blame the “wine fingers” or something, but you are correct. I have the first generation (2014) Zenith, it’s nearer 1500g, but I have replaced pegs and the heavier stuff sack.
It was a slightly tongue-in-cheek post - I’m always on the lookout for saving weight on kit, but ignore the weight around my middle 😀
Generally I haven’t had problems with condensation, except last November when a heavy rain storm was followed by cold and snow.

Cheers, Chris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy