Author Topic: Challenge walks.  (Read 1208 times)

wizz

Challenge walks.
« on: 19:57:18, 19/06/18 »
Does any body remember the challenge walks during the eighties? walks such as The Falcon Flyer, The Saltergate Circuit ect. After the "disappointment" of not getting into the London Marathon someone gave me an entry form for the Dales Traverse, I was hooked, and glad that I never got to run the London.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Challenge walks.
« Reply #1 on: 21:41:08, 19/06/18 »
Did quite a lot of challenge walks in the eighties including the 1985 Yorkshire Dales 100. Did you do the 1987 Peak District 100 Trial (held in Nov)?

wizz

« Reply #2 on: 19:00:02, 20/06/18 »
No the furthest I ever walked was the 50 mile dales crosses walk, shredded my feet, it started from Goathland before Heartbeat was thought of. At that time I didn't realise that anyone ran in events like that.
« Last Edit: 19:15:45, 20/06/18 by wizz »

wizz

« Reply #3 on: 19:13:33, 20/06/18 »
As I was saying before a malfunction on my part. I got into running the circular 26 mile walks, I loved them, didn't have to be out all night, a pint or two after, sometimes the night before when we camped out. We would often use them as training runs, after my first one of those I wouldn't thank you for an entry into the London, I did three road marathons, that was enough, I liked mud and water on my runs. My son is into doing some running events, he gets the Trail runners mag and passes it onto me, I still get the same feeling about it.

wizz

« Reply #4 on: 19:14:26, 20/06/18 »
No the furthest I ever walked was the 50 mile dales crosses walk, shredded my feet, it started from Goathland before Heartbeat was thought of. At that time I didn't realise that anyone ran in events like that.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:42:56, 20/06/18 »
I don't recall challenge walks. Though advertising for such events was so much more a local affairs back then.

I did manage a couple of long walks back then though.  Ten tors 55 miles and an all pointer during a leadership's course at HMS Royal Aurther, that meant walking 80+ miles in 36 hours around the Black Mountains.

wizz

« Reply #6 on: 19:54:22, 20/06/18 »
The ones I did were all in the Yorkshire dales, my first one was the Dales Traverse, Saltergate circuit, Falcon Flyer, Scarborough Rock, Kilburn Canter, Langdale Circuit, Flamborough Fling, The Windmill, The Smugglers circuit, and some that I cant recall.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:20:57, 22/06/18 »

The ones I did were all in the Yorkshire dales, my first one was the Dales Traverse, Saltergate circuit, Falcon Flyer, Scarborough Rock, Kilburn Canter, Langdale Circuit, Flamborough Fling, The Windmill, The Smugglers circuit, and some that I cant recall.

Have they moved the Dales then?? I  ;) ;D O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:40:01, 22/06/18 »
I was an avid Challenge Walker back in the 1980s and 90s, failing twice to complete the annual LDWA 100.
MY favourite was the now discontinued South Wales Marathon walk, traversing the seven highest peaks in the Brecon Beacons Park.
A distance slightly over 52miles, and my best time was just slightly under 14hrs.
Once you completed that one, you certainly knew you had been for a walk, as the terrain was pretty challenging in parts.

I no longer have the fitness or stamina to enter long challenge walks, but i still reflect on falling to pieces at just over 70miles, knowing i simply could not muster enough energy to complete a 100.

At least i can say i had a go, failing miserably is better than not having tried.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:24:53, 23/06/18 »
This one was going on today in the Beacons
http://www.runwalkcrawl.co.uk/events/2-uncategorised/120-south-wales-100-and-50.html
Anyone fit enough to complete or part complete anything like this I salute you. Not my cup of tea though, we did 8 miles today with our border collie just skimming part of the route and had a chat with a volunteer at a check point, great views, chilled out, now home and out in the Beacons again tomorrow  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:52:55, 23/06/18 »
Wow, i can just about envisage what stamina and walking endurance is required to complete such a mamoth walk.
No matter how slow or fast your walking pace, once you go beyond 40+miles over difficult and challenging terrain such as the Beacons, you body tells you to stop.

The first time i had a go at the SWMW was back in 1986, and it started from the now shut Capel Y Finn youth hostel.
Walking down the country lane approaching the Red Lion inn in Llandeusant, above llandovery, roughly 48miles from Capel Y Finn you could barely move your painful legs.

The Red Lion was the official finishing point, but most of us continued into llandovery itself, where the accommodation was already waiting for us.

A 100miler over similar terrain, mind over matter, and just how much physical torment you could push your body through.

Finding ones inner body strength, when your physically shattered, after having walked continually for over 14hrs, over challenging mountainous terrain.

I only wish i had the stamina and physical strength to perform at those levels, but i know i am long past my best, so why dream.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy