Author Topic: Spain - Aracena area  (Read 2919 times)

muymalestado

Spain - Aracena area
« on: 11:08:57, 24/10/07 »
This results from returning a few days a go from a holiday in the northern part of Huelva province of Andalucia, Spain.  We intended to explore the area and do some gentle walking.  It turned out to be very successful and recommendable.

There is a Natural Park covering a series of linear hills, scarp slopes, covered in pine/oak/chestnut/olives and traversed by a maze of tracks/paths.  If you were to design a walking area this would be the result.  Start early, next village for coffee, next village for lunch, next village for afternoon beer, back for a shower before an evening feed - or any combination upon that theme.  Slopes are mostly gentle; steeper ones are short.  Routes are largely shaded by those trees.  Accommodation is easy to find and easy to book ahead; watchout for Oct 12 which is Spain's national day.

One big reason to flag up this area for walking is that it is 'undiscovered', but this will not last for long.  A  motorway is being built from Seville toward Lisbon and comes within 15 miles.  Housing development has begun.  As yet maps are scarce and info is fragmented.  Soon Sunflower and Cicerone will chart the whole place.

To get a flavour, a very idiosyncratic one!, we looked at Guy Hunter-Watts 'Walking in Andalusia' who describes 4 walks.  Not being put off by the writing the landscape shines through and we managed 9 walks in 9 days (4 in a row seeing no other walkers).  Those knowledgeable of Spain will know the warmth is a great help to old joints; one can keep going on and on and still wake fresh and ready the next day.

Without turning this into a travelogue just note a wonderful area which will soon become hugely popular.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Chazmo

Re: Spain - Aracena area
« Reply #1 on: 18:28:19, 03/08/08 »
Remember me from the "Welcome" thread?

This looks like more good information and in another area we were considering walking in.  I'm thinking planning for this visit is looking much more promising and am getting fired up!

Chas

muymalestado

« Reply #2 on: 20:02:49, 03/08/08 »
Some Aracena starters:

These guys have 'arrangements' all over Europe and are useful to consult to see where they go, where they stay, etc
http://www.inntravel.co.uk/walking/guides/aracena.htm

Bus from Seville to Aracena and beyond
http://www.discoversevilla.com/default3.php?id=95&page=179

Also reply on Welcome thread - best moved here.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Chazmo

« Reply #3 on: 23:20:52, 03/08/08 »
Yes, there probably are othres who are interested.

Thanks again!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy