Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573334 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2505 on: 20:53:36, 17/11/18 »
Buzy, I thought about Dartmoor too but the forecast for the north coast is even better so going to do a variation of a circular walk on the SWCP above Morwenstow.  My original plan involved going S of Morwenstow too but according t the Cornwall Council website the SWCP has been closed and diverted inland for the next 6 months while they sort out the cliff.  The same section was closed for a while last year - not surprised, it was cracking and decidedly scary last year.  Means I will have to visit the Bush Inn again, sigh, still somebody has to  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #2506 on: 00:04:04, 18/11/18 »
It was an absolutely beautiful day today, perfect blue skies. Did a short walk locally and looked at mushrooms along the way.

https://www.instagram.com/indigenouspagan/p/BqScvy8A8pP/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1bgpi8iu8lnxt

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2507 on: 18:47:40, 18/11/18 »
What amazing visibility today. Not often the air is so clear. Plymouth breakwater looked like it was in the room with us from the middle of Dartmoor. I have a spot of sunburn too.  Teach me to walk in a T shirt in mid November.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2508 on: 19:09:30, 18/11/18 »
Wonderful weekend in the lakes , great walking, weather and beer O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2509 on: 22:04:15, 18/11/18 »
Same here.  Great couple of days in the Lake District.  Lovely walk up the Newlands Valley as far as the waterfalls on the headwall of Dale Head then a mooch up Gowbarrow Fell.  Caught the sun too.  Who'd have imagined that in mid-November  ;D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2510 on: 18:52:30, 19/11/18 »
I did a recce walk yesterday around and about the Goyt Valley. 
It was a lovely day but quite cold/windy up at Windgather Rocks. Found a lovely lunch spot up on Foxlow Edge, with great views!  Just need another nice day now so the group get to enjoy the walk as much as I did! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Murphy

« Reply #2511 on: 19:55:58, 19/11/18 »
Sunnydale,

That's my neck of the woods, very local to me.  Up there regularly.   Hope your group enjoy.....

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2512 on: 18:51:49, 25/11/18 »
Enjoyed a couple of walks on Bodmin moor this weekend.

Fri I headed up on the south moor.  I was expecting heavy rain and planned to checkout my new Jacket.  Not a drop  :D . The good news I retraced a small section of a walk I did last week and found the full water bottle I had dropped on Killmar tor.  It was only an Evian bottle, but I hate litter.

Today it was off to the North moor and a quick circuit of Roughtor, Aurthers Hall, Garrow tor, Brown Willy and once again to the top of Roughtor.  Just for fun. O0

Fun weekend and somehow I did not catch a drop of rain.
« Last Edit: 19:02:54, 25/11/18 by BuzyG »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2513 on: 08:13:57, 26/11/18 »
Out with the group yesterday on a damp, misty walk along Derwent Edge and the surrounding area.
I've never seen so many cars/people down in the valley, eager to explore the ruins of Derwent Village, which is now exposed due to low water levels in the reservoirs.
More folk yesterday than on a Bank Hol Weekend in the Summer!

It's disgusting that stones from the ruins are being stolen and graffiti is appearing on the ruins themselves >:(

The fact that the village is visible has been too well advertised IMHO. Too late now though...
***Happiness is only a smile away***

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2514 on: 18:27:50, 26/11/18 »
I'm going to try, but I've only the time to catch a bus to just south of Queen Elizabeth Country Park near Petersfield in Hampshire on Saturday and then a fast sprint, or walk across the downs to Rowlands Castle train station and then back home. My wife and I are taking it in turnslast week and this week to care for my 93 year old mother in law. She's frail, unsteady on her feet and now has to use a zimmer frame. On Sunday she will move into a new flat very near to us, with her oldest son.

Her claim to fame was as a Wren in WW2 she was stationed on the east coast of Scotland as part of the team that went out to sink the Tirpitz! She also knew Buster Crabbe, she was not impressed!

For the first time in 50 years, once she is in the flat, she will not have to climb up and down stairs to get to the bathroom.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2515 on: 20:21:43, 30/11/18 »
Out on Dartmoor again this afternoon, after work. Getting in a bit of graft ahead of hopefully returning to the Ben in a months time.  Manage 4000 ft of climbing in 4 hours.  Sourton village up and over to Bradscombes Loaf.  Straight back down to the Vellake Corner. Up HighWillhays via Black tor and on to Yes tor.  Straight back down to Meldon Viaduct bellow the dam. Up to the top of South Down and back down to Vellake corner for the second time. Then finaly back up Branscombes Loaf one more time. Absolutely loved it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2516 on: 20:28:07, 30/11/18 »
Lucky you, sounds like a great walk, must get down to Dartmoor again soon  O0
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2517 on: 20:55:14, 30/11/18 »
Lucky you, sounds like a great walk, must get down to Dartmoor again soon  O0
You should indeed.  I never tire of that little corner of the moor.  Lovely cool sunny afternoon and the strong SW wind blew me up the hard bits.
« Last Edit: 20:59:04, 30/11/18 by BuzyG »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2518 on: 21:06:50, 30/11/18 »
Walked that area when I was down last, it is a great part of the moor  O0
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2519 on: 15:50:46, 01/12/18 »
Got back earlier from our monthly walking group walk.  From the hall to the garden centre for a cuppa and scone and back again in the pouring rain.  1.5 miles round trip  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy