Author Topic: Overnight walk recommendations - accessible from london  (Read 1875 times)

aussie_walker

I’m looking to get out of London for an overnight hike this weekend - any recommendations? I'm an avid walker in Australia, and have been living in London since January. I've had a few overnight walks at the Peak District and Snowdonia, but am looking for some more options closer to London. I'm particularly interested in the South Downs, but am open to anywhere

What i'm after
-Accessible by train from London
-15-30km distance
-somewhere discreet in the middle where i can wild camp, although I'm not opposed to staying in affordable accommodation

Interested in any recommendations - looking to go somewhere this weekend!
Thanks

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Overnight walk recommendations - accessible from london
« Reply #1 on: 20:29:34, 22/08/19 »
Just south of London between the M25 and Brighton, there is three or four west to east hiking routes, The North Downs Way, The Greensand Way, The Sussex Border Path and The High Weald Trail. You can read descriptions and view them routed on OS Maps on www.gps-routes.co.uk. You can get off a train, depending on which one you want to try, from Redill, Gatwick, Crawley or Horsham stations and then walk either east to west or west to east. Its also fairly easy to end your walk at a train station to get back to London. The train lines tend to go north to south, the walks go west to east. I personally liked the High Weald Trail the best.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:40:20, 22/08/19 »
This link has many walks accessed by train from London    https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/walk/

You can easily access the South Downs from the stations at Arundel, Amberley, Lewes, Southease and Eastbourne.  One idea for an overnighter might be to walk from Lewes to Eastbourne via Alfriston, taking in the Caburn, the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head. 

aussie_walker

« Reply #3 on: 22:41:41, 22/08/19 »
Thanks for the recommendations, these both look great

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy