Author Topic: Use of trekking poles  (Read 2079 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: Use of trekking poles
« Reply #15 on: 19:23:10, 01/11/20 »
I like your list, I completely forgot about wet vegetation. I now use Pacerpoles I prefer them to my previous ones.

Never tried the Pacepoles myself, but I hear good comments about them. I think Chris Townsend is also a great fan of them.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:28:43, 01/11/20 »
I like your list, I completely forgot about wet vegetation. I now use Pacerpoles I prefer them to my previous ones.
  Another pacerpoles fan here.  They are superior in use to conventional poles and the carbon versions I have are really durable.  They have far outlasted any poles  have had before and apart from a few surface blemishes, they are as good as new.

I good technique with wet vegetation such as long grass or crop  is to bring the tips together in front of you near the ground and hold the grips wide to each side to form a V shaped plough.  As you advance it pushes off the worst of the water and folds the vegetation outwards.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:32:15, 01/11/20 »
I like the fact that I push down on them, rather than having to pull down as on my previous ones. Because of the handgrips, they are a bit bulky and cumbersome to secure to the side of my rucksack but they cause me no bother now because I am so used to them.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:38:13, 01/11/20 »
The movement looks very natural. I have never seen them in any shop, so I have never had the opportunity to test how it actually feels walking with them.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:43:05, 01/11/20 »
I too have Pacerpoles and find them easy to use. It was very quick to learn to use them. The main learning point is synchronising movement of an arm with the opposite leg.

Ninthace, you will need to be careful with the carbon version, as carbon fibre poles don’t like transverse force. This means they are not as effective with cyclists.  :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:28:31, 01/11/20 »
I too have Pacerpoles and find them easy to use. It was very quick to learn to use them. The main learning point is synchronising movement of an arm with the opposite leg.

Ninthace, you will need to be careful with the carbon version, as carbon fibre poles don’t like transverse force. This means they are not as effective with cyclists.  :D
Yes, using the handle as a hook round the neck from behind keeps the forces longitudinal which is better for carbon poles.  They don't see it coming because they think they have already got you.  Once they are down, rubber bumper off the ferrule in a single fluid movement, reverse pole and to quote Cpl Jones " They don't like if up 'em"  The mud basket stops it going in too far but if you push hard enough...
Failing that, a simple thwack behind the ear with the heavy end reminds them of the basic courtesies.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:32:17, 01/11/20 »
Yes, using the handle as a hook round the neck from behind keeps the forces longitudinal which is better for carbon poles.  They don't see it coming because they think they have already got you.  Once they are down, rubber bumper off the ferrule in a single fluid movement, reverse pole and to quote Cpl Jones " They don't like if up 'em"  The mud basket stops it going in too far but if you push hard enough...
Failing that, a simple thwack behind the ear with the heavy end reminds them of the basic courtesies.
:D :D :D

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:36:24, 02/11/20 »
Discovered another use for my poles this morning, moving leaves to help the water run away.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:25:57, 02/11/20 »
- Saving my knees on descends
- Help pulling myself up on steep ascends
- Extra points of contact really helps on slippery situations
- Crossing deep raging streams safely
- Probing the ground - How deep is the snow? How soft is the bog? Etc
- "Measure" how deep a step is when descending (I cannot see in 3D)
- Pushing (thorny) vegetation away
- Smashing the water out of wet bushes overhanging the trail, so I get 80% less wet
- Stirring the vegetation/ long grass in front of me to warn snakes that I'm passing through
- Prevented me from falling on my ass thousands of times!
- At camp, I use them as a stand to aim my solar panel nicely towards the sun
- Can be used to support certain tent features (for example make tent self standing)
- Possible weapon against animals attacking me

+ very useful for controlling my dog on a bungee attached to my waist. If I walk with the poles behind the bungee, the dog pulls me up hills nicely, but if I walk with a pole in front of the bungee, the dog is forced to walk behind me on that side - invaluable when descending.

I have found, however, that the poles are a real pain when scrambling, even when tackling a short easy section requiring a little 'hands on'.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:09:10, 02/11/20 »

I have found, however, that the poles are a real pain when scrambling, even when tackling a short easy section requiring a little 'hands on'.

Yes I agree. I usually collapse them then and attach them to my pack

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:45:40, 02/11/20 »

Yes I agree. I usually collapse them then and attach them to my pack
Osprey packs are good for that - pole stowage that you can use without taking your pack off.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:04:39, 02/11/20 »
Lordy me reading that was hard work.  Do they make reading poles.  :)

So basically they shift the workload from your lower body to your CV system and upper body, meaning you can push your knees just as hard as before whilst increasing the load on your heart and lungs. 

Short version.  If you are fit and balance the amount of load you place on your lower body with appropriate amounts of rest then your knees should last just as long with or without trekking poles.  The trick as with so many things, is not to over do it.  O0

tomjackliam

« Reply #27 on: 19:02:07, 16/12/20 »
Brought some back in the Summer and realised then they had been a good buy as they were such a help in ascending & descending. But now they have proven to be even a better buy given how muddy it is with fallen leaves every where.
Certainly saved me from falling a good few times today.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:04:25, 16/12/20 »
Trekking poles can also be useful if you want to learn how to rollerblade.

tomjackliam

« Reply #29 on: 22:11:47, 16/12/20 »
Trekking poles can also be useful if you want to learn how to rollerblade.
Never say never GWM but I cannot somehow see me using them for that  ;) ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy