Author Topic: Choosing a rucksack  (Read 4037 times)

cow2007

Choosing a rucksack
« on: 12:30:30, 12/04/07 »
Fellow walkers,

I'm new to this forum, so still learning the ropes.

Im walking the West Highland Way in July, which will be my first long distance trail. Im having trouble deciding on a rucksack. I want a 65 - 75 litre one and have narrowed it down to either a Karrimor Panther 65 or a Berghaus Antaeus 65+10. As a loyal Berghaus customer I tend to sway to this.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice??

Cheers
cow2007

marmot

Re: Choosing a rucksack
« Reply #1 on: 17:29:24, 12/04/07 »
Can't really comment on the ones you mention but I've always found Berghaus to be very well made and fit well, mine just survived a 1000 foot tumble down Steeple with minimal damage.
My wife used to have a large Karimor rucksack and I thought it was very uncomfortable, it was her size though.
Berghaus sacks always tend to do well in Trail magazine tests too.
For a walk that long, all I would say is make sure it's a good fit and get the right back length.

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 19:25:20, 12/04/07 »
All good.  Have a look at Osprey packs too.  The aether comes in 60 and 70l versions and is a very stable and comfortable carry.  I've used one on multi day backpacking trips for a year now and can't yet find a fault.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:51:43, 12/04/07 »
If you get hold of one Gregory packs are great ;)

I think Adapt outddors in Liverpool can order them, they also have a website. Also snow and Rock have/had a sale on osprey and macpac sacks.

Hope it helps, good luck on your walk

P.s  Dont forget your midge spray ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

cow2007

« Reply #4 on: 22:17:23, 12/04/07 »
Thanks for the advice, I will bear it in mind. A friend of mine also recommended Osprey so will have a look at them.
Regards
cow2007

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:54:17, 12/04/07 »
i would book well in advance, i have a feeling it is going to be very very busy this year ;)

And still dont forget the MIDGE spray :D

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:57:25, 12/04/07 »
Sorry meant to say, i know this sounds daft but i have been told if you throw my name in you can get discount at Adapt Outdoors??

I think it is because they where one of the sponsers on one of my walks ;)

walkingforlife.piczo.com

cow2007

« Reply #7 on: 14:58:49, 13/04/07 »
Thanks, will definately remember the midge spray!!!  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:07:15, 13/04/07 »
cow2007

Sorry i forgot to say

Hello and welcome  ;D  ;D

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:57:16, 14/09/07 »
All good.  Have a look at Osprey packs too.  The aether comes in 60 and 70l versions and is a very stable and comfortable carry.  I've used one on multi day backpacking trips for a year now and can't yet find a fault.
O0 i totally agree, try the osprey range/ expensive, but as far as rucsacs go their very hi tech, they've had alot of science put into them, you'll know what i mean when you see em.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Snowman

« Reply #10 on: 09:49:35, 18/09/07 »
I've got a Karrimor 65+, but can't remember if it's the Panther (might be the Cougar).   The rucksack's at home but I'm not which is why I can't check.   I use it for multi-day self-sufficiency trips, and can report that it's a good, tough, comfortable pack.    The shoulder straps are well padded and the belt strap is quite serious but well padded enough to help take the weight comfortably on the hips.   

I remember reading when Trail reviewed larger rucksacks a few years ago, that their only negative comment was that it weighed more than most of the competition.   It's probably its weight though that gives it a solid, hard-wearing feel which I find comforting when I'm days away from civilisation and have to rely on what's on my back for survival.   I have reflected in the past on how difficult things could become if a strap were to go, and this pack gives a secure feeling.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy