Author Topic: TR Tarn Crag, Sergeant Man and Blea Rigg Sat 3 to Sun 4 Aug 19  (Read 2374 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1

On Saturday we got the bus to Grasmere. We were hoping to do a few Wainwrights for Squeaky and do Pavey Ark one of Beefy's three'ers. It was very warm and humid with no air movement. We were soon sweating buckets on our way up Easedale Road. Our first fell was to be Tarn Crag.

Tarn Crag ahead

Tarn Crag again

We followed Easedale Beck to Stythwaite steps and we stopped to have an early lunch. We felt really tired already with the heat and humidity.

Calf Crag and Far Easedale from the way up Tarn Crag

Looking back at the rock tor on the east ridge of Tarn Crag

We had already decided to cut the route short and miss out Pavey Ark. The heat was unbearable and we were struggling on the ascents.                               

A herdy was guarding the route

Blea Rigg and a peep of Easedale Tarn

Tarn Crag summit in view again

It never seemed to get any closer

Easedale Tarn and Silver How to the left

It was very busy at the tarn.

The Helvellyn range from the way up Tarn Crag

The views weren't bad, it was a bit dull and hazy so not great for photography.

Beefy and Squeaky on Tarn Crag summit

Looking toward Codale Head from Tarn Crag

We had 10 minutes rest below the summit before walking toward Codale Head.     

Looking back toward Tarn Crag from our route

It seemed to take ages but it is only a mile, it felt like 3!

Toward Helvellyn from near Codale Head

Scafell Pike and Great End from near Codale Head

We were really tired and we started looking around for a pitch. We found one, not the greatest of views but it was flat, out of the wind and away from the main path. We sat and had a rest and a brew before we put the tent up. It was early, about 3pm and there were a few people about.

The MSR near Codale Head

We got the tent up when we thought everyone had gone but there were still a few late stragglers around. We had our
tea then went onto Sergeant Man summit.

View from Sergeant Man

We had some wine we got back to the tent. It was too cloudy for a sunset but it was nice to sit outside the tent.

The Gables from our pitch

It started raining after nine so we got inside the tent to finish the wine. Our route was Grasmere - Easedale Road - Stythwaite Steps - Tarn Crag - Codale Head - pitch - Sergeant Man - pitch. 8.85km with 530m ascent

Day 2
It had rained heavily overnight but it had stopped by the time we took the tent down. We were in clag and had to use Viewranger to make sure we were going the right way. We were on the way to Blea Rigg. We dropped down out of the mist thankfully and navigation was much easier.

Codale Tarn

Cloud covering Harrison Stickle

Pavey Ark could be seen. The sun was breaking through and it was heating up again.

Sergeant Man now clear of cloud

Beefy and Squeaky on Blea Rigg summit

We seemed to get to Blea Rigg very quickly but we were walking at Squeaky speed today! 

Our lunchtime view of Crinkle Crags and the Langdales

We had a very nice brew and food stop here. 

The route down from Lang How

I had the bright idea of trying a route I didnt know. The route is shown as a black dotted path on the OS map but the path was hard to see on the ground due to boggy ground and bracken. Not a route I would recommend and Viewranger came out again to keep us right. It was also unbearably hot there was very little breeze as we descended to valley level.

More bracken once we had joined the ROW near Blindtarn Gill

We were pleased when we got down to the Easedale Road, the unknown route had taken much longer than I expected it to. In hindsight we should have carried on past Lang How and descended on the Allan Bank path but we had wanted a change of route! Our route was Pitch near Codale Head - Blea Rigg - Lang How - Blindtarn Moss - Easedale New Bridge - Easedale Road - Grasmere. 8.85km with 150m ascent. Exactly the same distance as the day before but it felt like more. A nice camp and with the grim weather forecast for this weekend we will have to think about this one for a fortnight, I doubt we will be camping this weekend  :(
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Another lovely trip out onto the fells, April.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics as usual Ape O0
Was a great weekend,  shame about the weather forecast for this one,
It might change yet  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Nice adventure April, or it would be an adventure for me it's got to be (a good) normal for you by now! I really liked your lunch time view.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics again April. Looks like a great time  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Richard, beefy, Rob and Ridge  O0

Rob, we do take our weekends for granted sometimes  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lobely pics again April - sure was hot and humid last weekend.  This weekend looks "grim" - not surprised you're thinking of giving it a miss.  (I'm going to swap tomorrow for Saturday I think).

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Nice round and photos again.  O0
I too find the Blea Rigg ridge strangely confusing at times, close attention often required.
I had the bright idea of trying a route I didnt know.
The spirit of adventure is alive and well  :)

snoopdawg

Nice one, good pics!

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks pdstsp - after a wet walk in the Lake District it will be korma night on Saturday for us at home. bike practise for me, as much as I can do, on Sunday.

The spirit of adventure is alive and well  :)

:) Some call it being daft  ;D

Thanks snoopdawg  :)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Great photos & report April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks sunnydale  O0
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Is beefy showing his belly off?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
He was airing his six pack  :)
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Great report and photos April, really like the view of Langdale Pikes from Seargeant Mann O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy