Author Topic: Montacute to Tintinhull circuit in South Somerset  (Read 9443 times)

yeoman

I already posted this walk on my blog, which was quite painful, as blogger was really playing up that day.
Cheated a bit for my first posted walk here, copied and pasted.
The map is what lead me to this forum, in trying to work out OS Get-a-map, which ended up being exported to Google, so click it and you get the map  O0

:-\  Well here goes, my 1st posted walk....

An easy 5 mile (2 hours) circuit walk from Montacute [nofollow] to Tintinhull [nofollow] in South Somerset [nofollow], UK.Level ground, although some parts through fields and crossing stiles.

[nofollow]        [nofollow]

Starting at The Square, facing the Phelips Arms [nofollow], turn left and follow the road around and along Middle Street, towards the Kings Arms [nofollow], then turn right along Wash lane, follow to the end where it merges with Bishopston.(You can continue along Middle Street, which goes past the Church, and Montacute Working Mens club [nofollow], before meeting the end of Wash Lane)Turn Right and follow road, passing the front gates of Montacute House [nofollow]

[nofollow]

Ahead you'll see a line of red brick 'Council Houses [nofollow]'.Turn right onto Station Road at the first houseFollow road until you reach a right hand bend with an island junction on the left, take the lane to the left

[nofollow]
This lane was once the road to Montacute station [nofollow],
the Railway line came under the 'Beeching Axe' and is now the busy A3088 Cartgate to Yeovil Link Road, follow the path which leads onto the busy road.
[nofollow]
Crossing over you you'll see the dilapidated kissing gate which was once part of the Station
[nofollow]
Walk around the old gate following the edge of the field, alongside the old Station house, then the hedgerow,  part way along, cross to the next field through the gate
[nofollow]
follow the hedgerow to the old 'Icicle Barn', (the barn is situated on fields once know as Issakell fields [nofollow]) one of a few Somerset barns not made into a house.
[nofollow]
emerging onto the unclassified Montacute to Tintinhull road, follow the road straight ahead (with Icicle Barn on your left) until Stoneshells Farm, on the right is a stile
[nofollow]
Cross the stile and keep left, following the edge of the field and passing by the gate / entrance(this path follows the line of the road, but the road is narrow along here, with a poor zone of vision in places)At the end follow the field around to the right, where you'll eventually come to an opening to another field, where the path runs alongside a house.
[nofollow]
This leads onto Yeovil Road in Tintinhull [nofollow], cross here and turn left, then a short distance turn right (or just keep on the same path around the bend) into Vicarage Street, follow road past Tintinhull Working Mens Club (this part of Somerset had a good deal of working men and women, from Glove making to Manufacturing, hence 2 working Mens clubs in adjacent villages) and the village green, and follow path into Farm Street, around to the right (Signposted to Tintinhull House)
[nofollow]
passing a Petters [nofollow] water pump (before they made the first internal combustion engined car in the UK)
[nofollow]
and a traditional Somerset Hamstone stile opposite the Crown & Victoria Inn [nofollow] and ...
[nofollow]

...not forgetting the beautiful Tintinhull house, which is noted for it's Arts and Crafts Gardens [nofollow]
[nofollow]    [nofollow]
passing Tintinhull house the road becomes a lane, and opposite a modern house on the left is the footpath on the right, follow the path, through the gate at the end, where you can turn left (incidentally, along Vicarage street there is another path, which joins here, it is shorter, but you would miss so much!)Follow the path, where you will see two gates
[nofollow]
Take the metal gate to the left, and continue through two fields (admiring the view to Ilchester) and then through a gate / bridge / gate on your right.You will emerge in an L shaped field, the footpath continues as if the hedge (where the gate is) was to continue (which it doesn't) crossing the centre of the field. From here you can't see the next gate and bridge until you're over the rise.
[nofollow] [nofollow]
After crossing the little bridge, you will be on a hillock, with a few trees dotted around.The path isn't always clear here, so walk about 10 degrees to your left, crossing the hillock. Notice a large oak in the hedgerow ahead, keep left of that and you'll find a large kissing gate.
[nofollow]
go through, and bear right onto Sock Lane, which forms part of the Leland Trail [nofollow] AND Monarchs Way [nofollow] (that alone is some serious British history...)
[nofollow]
emerging onto Yeovil road, just outside of Chilthorne Domer
[nofollow]
Simply cross over and into Kissmedown lane to the right (great name, but use caution if Googling)Follow the footpath (this was the muddiest part so far, after cattle had been moved along the lane, but this was early spring, hopefully it will improve - also be careful of the barbed wire fence, this was laying, partially covered, on the ground along the path but still connected to trees higher up)
  [nofollow]    [nofollow]
the lane becomes a track then road, now called Windmill Lane, passing Windmill Farm, continue straight ahead down the hill crossing the road at the bottom, take the stile in front of you, this lane has deep ruts in places, being lower than the adjacent fields the water run-off has caused some damage to this ancient by-way.
[nofollow]    [nofollow]
At the end of the lane take the path to the left which emerges onto the busy A3088, (notice the old railway fence posts)
  [nofollow]  [nofollow]
crossing over, take the path opposite that leads down into Mill copse, part of Montacute Park; part of the National Trust Montacute House [nofollow] estate, you can see the ancient by-way, with adjacent wall very clearly along here, this emerges into an area filled with Wild Garlic [nofollow], and a stream, part of a Mill, of which very little survives.
[nofollow]    [nofollow]
Follow the path (after you've soaked in the atmosphere of this place) off to the right and into Montacute Park, bear left past the sign and over the hillock you'll see a stile and gate, cross here and walk diagonally up the next hillock with the trees just on your right
[nofollow]  [nofollow]
There are 3 stiles, which all stand alone without fence, if you aim yourself correctly you should be near them each time. At the first stile head down to the marvellous avenue of trees, which lead up to Montacute House then head slightly to the right, crossing a spring stream (unless its dried up), in the distance you will see some houses and a large tree in the corner
, [nofollow]    [nofollow]    [nofollow]
walk along the path, and emerge into a small street, turn right and follow the road around to the left. At the junction turn right, and head back to Montacute Square
[nofollow]

And as the say in Film Noir

Fin

« Last Edit: 19:38:28, 15/04/11 by yeoman »
Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.
Henry David Thoreau

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Montacute to Tintinhull circuit in South Somerset
« Reply #1 on: 20:19:32, 15/04/11 »
A very informative TR and some nice photos too!  I like the way you've added the links in to various points of interest.  Clever  8)

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:53:51, 16/04/11 »
Great report! looks good and very nearly, almost local to me. I took my ageing relatives to Montacute House last year but didn't see much of the surrounding area. Maybe when you're allowed you can sort us out a meet in the area?? :)

bootson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:24:05, 16/04/11 »
I enjoyed reading this report, very well written and nice photos  O0

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:18:54, 19/04/11 »
Definitely a lovely place to walk - I occasionally work over that way and even a lunchtime stroll is really pleasant. Count me in if you decide on a meet-up over that way.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

yeoman

« Reply #5 on: 18:42:07, 19/04/11 »
Thanks everyone, any constructive criticism is welcomed  :) looking back at it, thought it was a bit long?
You might have to give me some time before I organise a meet-up. At the moment, seems scary  :-\
Is their any rules to how many walks can be posted, and how long they should be?
I have a new one which starts and finishes at a great pub, and is ideal for anyone travelling the A303 London to Cornwall route who might want a little walk on the way.

Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.
Henry David Thoreau

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:51:48, 19/04/11 »
Nope, no rules - you just choose a route, a date and a start time, post it up in a new thread and if anyone wants to join in they turn up (they usually post their intention to come).  Only suggestion is to pick somewhere a few people can park (for free if possible, as they are a load of skinflints on here). Oh yes, I nearly forgot, you have to bring lunch  for everyone.

(I made that last bit up ;D )
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:01:58, 19/04/11 »
and cake, don't forget the cake.  8)

yeoman

« Reply #8 on: 19:12:59, 19/04/11 »
I'll bear that in mind alewife... :2funny:
OMG Cake will NEVER be forgotten!  O0
Henry David Thoreau

HeatherSimpson27

« Reply #9 on: 16:39:26, 14/01/17 »
Enjoyed the walk. Your directions made it very easy. Thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy