Author Topic: UKmase / Darksky V's Helvellyn  (Read 9753 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
UKmase / Darksky V's Helvellyn
« on: 22:33:48, 21/04/08 »
Report below - for all the pics and a youtube video click my blog link, feel free to leave a comment. Hope you enjoy.

http://ukmase.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/helvellyn-190408-with-darksky/

fter reading endless reports and getting teased with amazing pictures in Trail magazine of Striding Edge i finally got my taste of this classic lake land climb.

Chris aka Darksky form the UKwalkingforum joined me on this walk. We had previously stayed the night at a cold Swirral camping bairn close to Glenridding, it was basic but well worth the £7 a night charge.

We set off early around 8:30 following the track up towards Red Tarn, our first glimpse of the Helvellyn range came when Catseye Cam popped its head over the hill line. Soon we were at Red Tarn and revelling in the amazing sight of a snow topped Helvellyn flanked on both sides by Striding Edge and Swirral Edge. After a quick brew sponsored by Jetboil we made the decision to tackle Striding Edge even though the wind was quite high.

We were soon up at the start of Striding Edge ridge and the adrenalin took over. We scrambled via the highest level possible all the way along the ridge. There were a few squeky bum moments but it was amazing. The drop on each side is quite severe and i can see why many people find major problems with this ridge in bad conditions. Luckily the ridge today was windy, with snow covering but manageable. I will have to get an ice axe and crampons for next time around as i can see why they are needed. We were soon at the chimney section and heading up towards Helvellyn summit, once on top the wind was immense, i got took off my feet a few times before reaching the cross shaped summit. Chris soon joined me and we took shelter and started trying to work out how to get down off the very windy summit. Swirral edge was totally out of the question, credit to the 3 lads who came up that route without and ice axe and crampons, the look of fear in the face as they reached the top struck home with just how dangerous this mountains can be. We decided on Plan B which was to head down from Lower man and head towards Whiteside before then take the path home towards Glenridding.

When we started to descend Lowerman i soon realised the wind was absolutely mad on this drop towards Whiteside. About 30 people were pinned to the floor for about 30 minutes. This is the first time i actually felt in danger on a walk. It seemed to take hours to get to Whiteside, drastically stumbling form one small cairn break to the next. When we eventually reached Whiteside we didn’t hang about long as we both wanted to get out of the frantic wind. We were soon below the wind level on the path heading home. We arrived at the camping bairn around 4pm and celebrated with some Jack Daniels. This was soon followed by a good drinking session at the Travellers rest, and i would recommend the mix grill to anyone brave enougth to challenge it.

A great weekend, my first Wainwright, first scramble and a moment of worry. Cheers Darksky for setting me up to Helvellyn, what a day.

darksky

• Veteran Member
Re: UKmase / Darksky V's Helvellyn
« Reply #1 on: 22:50:39, 21/04/08 »
Excellent report Paul{UKMase} and THANKYOU for a terriffic weekend also..,It did get very ...how can i put this....squeaky bum at times hahaha.., Well done mate, though i do think you should be re-named SPEEDY-GONZALIS.................................. O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:36:39, 21/04/08 »
 Well done the pair of you! :)

One of the photos looked like a section for the Eiger's North face until I opened it up and realised the thumbnail was turned on its side.I thought they must be bloody mad,climbing an overhang that was covered in ice without the protection of  a rope or crampons. ;D

You're right though,it is a very dangerous mountain and one slip in those conditions and its lights out.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:44:20, 21/04/08 »
Oooer - bits of that video are a bit scary..... but did I hear a rude word?

Still, what fun eh?  I think you made a good decision not to fall off... sorry, I mean, try to descend Swirral Edge  (many people do blob off Swirral Edge in snowy conditions)

Well done, though - next!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:09:54, 22/04/08 »
Well done Paul & Chris......great pictures and report....the video was very dramatic.

Dave

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:18:43, 22/04/08 »
Catbells with my son is next target, and castle crag.

muymalestado

« Reply #6 on: 09:39:17, 22/04/08 »
Thanks for great report.  Blog is real good; I hope it is fun!
I think this next one will be the top ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:49:03, 22/04/08 »
For a first Wainwright doing Helvellyn via Striding Edge in snow and wind, and videoing some of it! You don't believe in taking it easy do you.

Great report and nice pics.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:47:32, 23/04/08 »
Well done guys!Gave me vertigo just watching that video...respect ;D

greenman

« Reply #9 on: 19:02:48, 24/04/08 »
well done lads,that wind looks fierce.looking to do this one on the last may bank holiday weekend
greenman

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:53:44, 25/04/08 »
Excellent report - gutted I couldn't come, but not to worry.

Man, you don't mess about. That video was death defying "Gis a wave, Kris!" LOL

Well done, the pair of you.  O0

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:18:35, 25/04/08 »
Cheers greenman..,I intend going back in a couple weeks or so to do catseyecam as we could'nt this time as the wind was extremley powerfull and catseyecam was coverd in ice.., and i really want to wild camp at Red Tarn when weather warms up abit as i'd like to be on the summitt of Helvellyn as soon as it starts to go light..,Anyway let me know how it goes after you get back.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:34:33, 25/04/08 »
Alright MR B.., yeh shame you could'nt make it , nevermind though eh..,It was good though mate, Helvellyn via Striding Edge was Pauls 1st Wainwright and also mine, this was my 2nd time and i fully intend to do it alot more times as theres so much to see and do around the Helvellyn range, Ive got some cracking photo's but im having trouble posting them, Yeh Pauls video is good isnt it, Im glad i was with him,he's a top bloke and a good laugh too. Hows everything going on the lyke wake walk ? are you looking forward to it?  O0

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:18:06, 25/04/08 »
Groovyness.  UKmase / Darksky Fantastic report there....   A wild camp round Red Tarn is wicked did this early September.    You've both seemed to have enjoyed it, there is a lot more  via this area.  Ukmase ACE report liking you're webby site took a look round groovy............ 

WG O0
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:25:01, 25/04/08 »
UKMase on Helvellyn summitt{BUZZIN}

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy