Author Topic: Lake District Survey: Attitudes to Traffic  (Read 1405 times)

nightmair

Lake District Survey: Attitudes to Traffic
« on: 11:44:48, 30/05/08 »

Hi guys

As outdoors people and travelers to the Lake District I was wondering if you wouldn't mind clicking the link and completing this survey I would be most appreciative!

The survey is part of my research for an MSc and will take a maximum of 10 mins to fill in!

Any questions and my e-mail is on page 6.

Many thanks

Chris

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=aiAGJt14b9p6FpJquGopdA_3d_3d [nofollow]">Click Here to take survey</a>

kirbstones

Re: Lake District Survey: Attitudes to Traffic
« Reply #1 on: 12:20:31, 30/05/08 »
Happy to oblige.  However your survey only asks questions from the point of visitors.  Locals also get affected by transport issues, particularly the recent 'improvement' work in Windermere.
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

nightmair

« Reply #2 on: 13:18:13, 30/05/08 »

Hi

yes, you're absolutely right about impacts on residents. The negative social impacts, in my opinion, probably outweigh the environmental impacts in such a small area such as Windermere / Ambleside.

However, a few reasons for not including residents.

1. I surveyed residents last year for a previous study and those responses will the used again as part of this study (I actually put a short survey on this message board).

2. Residents would be exempt from any road pricing scheme / congestion charge, in which case implementation of such a policy would not affect them (with regards to road use, not economic or social impacts)

3. The aim is to look at visitor attitudes in order to try to reduce traffic but not negatively affect the local economy. Visitors will not consider economic issues to the local area when responding, they will only consider the aspects that directly affect their visit. Not the consequences.
Residents, and more specifically business owners will be influenced by many factors and as I discovered last year many refuse to accept that traffic is a problem in the area. In other words you get responses which are basically 'no votes'.

4. I found that the locals are very mistrusting of these sorts of surveys, I don't know whether the LDNPA or CCC have been a bit underhand in the past but my last survey met with with a lot of anger.
This is not a reason for not surveying residents, it was an observation we made last year and when we decided on tis project it made more sense to target visitors specifically as we had already obtained a lot of data from residents.

Anyway, hope that explains why the survey is compiled the way it is, and thanks for completing it. Most appreciated

Chris

I've attached a picture that you may find quite amusing, I certainly did!

kirbstones

« Reply #3 on: 14:47:36, 30/05/08 »
The message on the bus stop just about sums it up really. 

The farce that is the Windermere Improvement Scheme was finished last week.  Traffic should now be flowing normally again.  I posted earlier from Staveley about lunchtime, then returned to Windermere.  The traffic was backed up almost to Ings and was still going slowly when I returned 90 minutes later. So that's an improvement  is it?  Bear in mind that this is pretty much a normal day, not a high season holiday.

Anyone heading up the A590 this summer, leave yourself extra time, particularly when it's likely to be busy.  It's seems all this scheme has achieved is to cause more congestion.

And the good news is …

… having just finished resurfacing everything, they're going to dig it all up again next week to connect up the fancy new lamposts.  The terms 'Brewery' and '[censored]-up' spring to mind.

Take care out there.
Phil

chorleydave

« Reply #4 on: 21:24:07, 30/05/08 »
Done.  Good luck!

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 01:26:54, 31/05/08 »
Done..,go for it. O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

kirbstones

« Reply #6 on: 10:46:59, 31/05/08 »
Chris

I've added your survey to my blog http://www.windermere-way.co.uk/news/blog.html

Might bring you a few more respondents. Keep up the good work.

Phil
Phil

nightmair

« Reply #7 on: 11:39:37, 31/05/08 »
Cheers Phil, most appreciated!

Also, if anyone has any more traffic horror stories from in and around the LDNP, such at the 'Windermere Improvements' Phil has pointed out then please let me know.

It's first hand information, and whilst I can't use it as academic content I can use that sort of thing as a starting point for more investigation and research.

This research will be continuing as a PhD come October as a study in to influencing modal shift in the lakes (getting people out of cars by changing they way they view car use) so if anyone has any bright ideas or good contacts I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers for all your help so far

Chris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy