Author Topic: Rainfall Radar A Hoax?  (Read 805 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Rainfall Radar A Hoax?
« on: 18:02:41, 02/09/20 »
Last night I plotted a walk for today that we could squeeze in before it rained.  Checked the weather forecast today and it looked like the weather system was moving through a bit earlier that predicted but it seemed fine to windward to me.  I had a look at the Met Office rainfall radar and one other site.  Both showed a band of showers coming in from the west that were hitting the area we would be walking in.  Oh goody - chance of a lie in.

Half an hour later the band of showers should have arrived over Chateau Ninthace.  I looked out of the window - nothing, just some stratus.  Checked the radar and it was definitely raining where we were.  If anything the weather outside was improving. so we jumped in the car and went for it.  When we got to the start point - the roads were not even damp, no sign of rain.

So were the radar boys making it all up just to keep us indoors?

As an aside, when we got back to the car we had a flat tyre.  My car has a large battery where most people keep their spare wheel but in its place is a small electric pump and a large capsule of liquid optimism.  I followed the instructions and would you believe it, it worked!  On the way home, I dropped in at a tyre place that repaired the tyre for me on the spot.  Just found out that the replacement container of gunk costs twice the price of the tyre repair  >:(

Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Rainfall Radar A Hoax?
« Reply #1 on: 14:20:21, 03/09/20 »
You may well be right. My wife often complains that the weather forecast and what actually happens where we live are way apart. For me, the weather difference can be very noticable when I drive from home to the top of Portsdown Hill. Last week for example I left in nice weather, got soaked on Portsdown Hill and then returned to nice weather. The weather forcast never mentioned rain at all.

emdaw

« Reply #2 on: 22:10:17, 04/09/20 »
We live in the Eden Valley sandwiched  between the lakes and the pennines and the weather forecast is so often totally wrong we either get glorious weather when the forecast is wet or vica versa. We use 3 different forecasts and just use the one we like the look of the best  :D O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:17:55, 04/09/20 »
I lived in the Upper Eden Valley from 2011 to 2016 and know what you mean about forecasts.  I just always thought that at least the rainfall radar picture was reliable!  After all.it at least, is not relying on algorithms, seaweed or the forecaster's twinges.
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:12:27, 05/09/20 »
I sometimes get caught by looking at a cached image of the rainfall radar rather then the live one.
Then, occasionally, it gets tricked by massive clouds of flies or other things that give a return similar to rain.
One last thing that sometimes happens in hot weather is that it is raining/drizzling at altitude but the droplets evaporate before reaching ground level.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:23:03, 08/09/20 »
Further proof of the hoax yesterday and today.  Yesterday the radar was clear and the forecast was a less than 5% chance of rain - it rained 5 times during our walk.  Today the radar was clear again with a 10% chance of rain.  The mizzle got so hard I ended up putting my jacket on!  Drove home with the wipers on - the radar still says it isn't raining.
As an aside - why is it that when the rain is gentle, you never put your jacket on until you are already wet?
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:48:39, 08/09/20 »
As an aside - why is it that when the rain is gentle, you never put your jacket on until you are already wet?
Optimism. I fall into this trap quite often - it's only a shower - 5 minutes later drenched.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:59:34, 08/09/20 »
I know what you mean about the tyre, ditto. Progress for you.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy