Author Topic: How I have solved the problem of rain cheaply!  (Read 1985 times)

andybr

Re: How I have solved the problem of rain cheaply!
« Reply #15 on: 16:23:10, 19/06/19 »
Difficult surely if on a multi-day trips, do you just sit around and wait if it rains on Day 2 etc?

I have actually done just that on one occasion in Scotland but it is not a situation I have often encountered. I don't particularly like walking in rain so I wouldn't normally start a walk if the forecast suggested very prolonged spells of bad weather. One benefit of retirement is that I can afford to wait for a better forecast. It doesn't always work and I have got very wet on some occasions but I know I will dry out fairly quickly once I find some shelter. In my experience it is not being wet that is unpleasant but rather it is wearing wet clothing. Some years ago I met somebody walking in the wilds behind Beinn Alligin in heavy rain and his solution was to wear just an old style knee length cagoule and swimming trunks. I would not go that far but it did get me thinking and I ended up with my tried and trusted method.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:06:15, 19/06/19 »
My GoreTex Pro Mountain Equipment 'Lhotse' jacket NEVER has condensation on  the inner surface, GWM, even when my back is awash with sweat (often).

I found the receipt today - I bought it in November 2015 for £264, and it has been worth every single penny. It has seen me through 4 Orkney winters, during which I am walking the dog 2-3 times most days, through horizontal rain, snow, hail, storm force winds, and occasionally sunshine, and it has not let me down. It is also light enough for summer use, and I have even run in it. I must have worn it well over 1000 times now, and the only fault, which has occurred recently, is a failure of one of the pit zips - my fault for hauling on it too hard. I would without hesitation buy the same again.

To keep my legs dry I use Berghaus 'Deluge' waterproof trousers; a good bit of dependable kit. Full length zips, so not too much bother to get on and off over boots.

I'm glad that you are happy with your arrangement, but for the conditions that I am regularly out in, I'll be sticking with mine.  :) 
« Last Edit: 17:10:43, 19/06/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dread

« Reply #17 on: 20:58:40, 19/06/19 »
Interesting conversation. It reinforces the point the everyone is different and has different needs. I really don't mind being wet, as long as I keep moving, I don't get cold. Last year I was up on Kinder Scout in the usual horizontal rain and hail, no hat, no hood, no gloves, no waterproof trousers, it really doesn't bother me. It does bother me having to stop and rummage and pull on extra plastic clothing on top of clothing which is already wet. I'm talking about three season low hill walking, I'd not want to get too wet in the depth of Winter or half way up Snowdon.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:10:06, 19/06/19 »
My setup.... wicking baselayer/top, fleece of different warmth/thickness depending on time of year/temperature, wind shirt (warmer months) or insulated jacket (cooler months).

Then I have a single "skin" shell boil in the bag waterproof to chuck on if it rains. 

My Craggy troos are wicking and quick drying so wearing them under waterproof trousers doesn't cause any issues.

Even if I get damp from sweat, the wicking qualities of the clothes next to my skin stops me feeling cold/clammy. 

This setup serves me in the lowlands of East Yorkshire to the not so lowlands of everywhere else  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:17:34, 21/06/19 »
My GoreTex Pro Mountain Equipment 'Lhotse' jacket NEVER has condensation on  the inner surface, GWM, even when my back is awash with sweat (often).

You don't understand how envious I am. A decent waterproof would have made a world of difference to me. Yes my jacket is waterproof but so is a bin liner and I don't see much difference between them when wet. I'm down from 147 cm to 136.7 cm but I need to get down to 122 cm before I can fit in such a garment and then there's the question of if I should bother given I plan to lose more weight than that and it's very expensive and willl probably only fit for a couple of months.

So envious...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:49:51, 21/06/19 »

Keep going Rob. O0

And when you do get down to 'Lhotse' size, remember that the jacket will still be perfectly useable even when you lose more weight.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:29:09, 21/06/19 »
Keep an eye out in charity shops there is frequently good quality stuff going for decent prices there.
Also whilst losing weight you can always go to the cheaper end of the market until you get to your fighting weight at which time you can go for something longer lasting.

Brand outlet shops often have really top quality stuff at really low prices but usually a season out of "fashion"
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:21:54, 24/06/19 »
Nothing wrong with a larger than needed waterproof Rob. It makes wearing lots of layers easier. I suppose it will depend on how low you intend to go.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy