Author Topic: Ben Nevis routes suitable for kids  (Read 10509 times)

Patrick1

Re: Ben Nevis routes suitable for kids
« Reply #15 on: 10:14:47, 02/07/19 »
Not sure where you're getting your statistics from but I think as usual that is very exaggerated.
Well, the top hit on google would suggest he's not far out. Average maximum only exceeds 4 degrees in four months of the year, and then only by a degree or two.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:55:25, 03/07/19 »
@ jrterror - I'm going to plug the Aviemore area again. As well as the hillwalking, there are lots of other activities that children would enjoy, easy mountain biking in the forests, boat hire on Loch Morlich (which has a stunning beach), and a whole host of organised activities. Weather is often better than in the west, and in my experience there are a lot less midges. Aviemore is an easy 90 minute drive from Fort William.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:56:34, 03/07/19 »
Sorry its slightly off topic, but i just had to plug the Outer Hebrides as a place to visit, either with the whole family in tow, or just by ones self.

The wildlife, was certainly memorable, cuckoos were very prevalent, as were other migrating birds, and the deserted beaches were the cleanest and most impressive Ive seen anywhere in the UK.

For those of us who have seen the remote and secluded beaches of NW Scotland, the ones on Barra and Vatersay, were so pristine and perfect, they will stay vivid in your memory for years to come.

Not a single bit of litter, so clean, that it would almost make those living in Switzerland a bit jealous, was i in the UK?.

I was very thankful really, that these islands are  so remote, as to think of the thousands of Bank holiday mongrels despoiling this paradise would have been so upsetting.

The sand was so white, it almost looked like a tipper lorry had arrived every morning, taken the old stuff away, and deposited fresh sand, and not a single person on them.

On the entire island, not a single bit of litter, no graphite, and the locals were almost from a bygone age, so friendly and welcoming.

It was the same for The Uists, and Binocular, such hospitality, and i cannot imagine a better place to take a cycling holiday, as traffic was very lite, and you could explore the hidden coves.

Returning to mainland UK, i knew i had left a way of life that the vast majority of us, could only dream about.

Its just a shame their not more acessable, as the peace and tranquility, for those who want to chill out and just enjoy nature, was there in abundance.
« Last Edit: 14:07:57, 03/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Alanofeastleigh

« Reply #18 on: 10:14:13, 04/07/19 »
Hi,
I am new to to the forum and to be perfectly honest a bit nervous of hiking up Ben Nevis on the 13th of August.
I am 57 but quite fit for my advanced years and do like to challenge myself, this being another off my bucket list.
I am visiting Loch Ness with my wife and 2 children and would of possible join up with someone who has done this hike before.
Please let me know if anyone would be interested in joining me.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:04:22, 04/07/19 »
Its just a shame their not more acessable, as the peace and tranquility, for those who want to chill out and just enjoy nature, was there in abundance.

It is their very inaccessibility that keeps them special, Dyffryn.

My personal favourite is South Uist - I just love the contrast between the beach fringed machair on the west, and the rugged mini mountains of the east, with a maze of lochans between.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:14:04, 04/07/19 »
Hi,
I am new to to the forum and to be perfectly honest a bit nervous of hiking up Ben Nevis on the 13th of August.
I am 57 but quite fit for my advanced years and do like to challenge myself, this being another off my bucket list.
I am visiting Loch Ness with my wife and 2 children and would of possible join up with someone who has done this hike before.
Hire a guide.They charge around £200 per day for one or two walkers or £30 to be part of a group.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:22:32, 04/07/19 »
Hire a guide.They charge around £200 per day for one or two walkers or £30 to be part of a group.

A guide, for the ponnie track, in summer.   :o

Have to disagree on that suggestion. If the group is strong enough, have suitable gear, to stay warm and navigate the summit plateau in cloud, that's about what you need.

On a family day out,  mum and dad are the guides.  The planning, the provisioning, checking every one has their kit, leading the way, making the right choices for your family group.  It's all part of the adventure.
« Last Edit: 16:27:35, 04/07/19 by BuzyG »

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:04:34, 04/07/19 »
Nothing wrong with using a guide, I've taken groups up the Ben and you're just there for safety and experience, you're acting like a safety valve if the weather or fitness of the group becomes an issue.  I do agree to those more versed in the outdoors it sounds unnecessary, but if that is their barrier between choosing to get out there vs not bother due to nervousness or anxiety - damn well book the guide up the pony track rather than stay in on the sofa   O0 

Also depends how much you lean in to it with the guiding experience, sure the Ben has a clear path, but some clients may want to do some navigation practice, talk through some backpacking basics like looking after your group, checking kit, good judgement in changeable weather, solid food choices etc.  The traditional way to do this was more of an 'apprenticeship' to some old wizened mountain goats, but if that isn't available then why not bring in the expertise. 

Alan - unfortunately I did the Ben a few weeks back and won't be in the area for August, but be aware as far as hikes go this one isn't particularly tough, it's a fairly long climb where you'll see all manner of people heading up and down.  Some very fit, others not at all.  Usual common sense hiking stuff applies: hydrate well beforehand, pace yourself, don't bring too much but don't skimp on the essentials, navigation is quite simple but do make sure someone has a map of some sort, and if you're struggling make sure to speak up (pass your gear off to somebody else in the group etc).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:43:08, 05/07/19 »
Hi,

What is your past hillwalking experience, Alan? And what kind of walking kit do you have?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:34:44, 05/07/19 »

This might be of interest to you - a Trip Report of my family ascent of Ben Nevis last July.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37050.0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:43:10, 05/07/19 »

Also take a look at this Trip Report by April - she had better weather than I did!

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34310.0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy