Author Topic: How narrow is Bwlch Main (Rhyd-ddu path up Snowdon)?  (Read 14273 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: How narrow is Bwlch Main (Rhyd-ddu path up Snowdon)?
« Reply #15 on: 20:32:04, 26/08/19 »
I’m not sure a walking stick or poles would be so useful on the unmentionable ridge. Although I enjoy walking narrow ridges, I do get some sensations of vertigo that Mel mentions. I definitely experience a bit of ‘head swimming’ and can feel the drop plucking at the edges of my perception.
  Once I can put hand to rock on a regular basis I feel much more secure, the poles can go away and the exposure bothers me less. The unmentionable ridge route looks like that doesn't happen  - more like a tight rope walk.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:52:30, 26/08/19 »
I guess I have it worse than others  :(

I've only got to go up to the parapet of a castle, or look out of the window of a high rise building and my legs turn to jelly while I feel that my body is going to fold at the waist - the top half being the heaviest, surely - and I shall plummet to my death. Clinging tightly onto something, anything, is only a small help.

Any height with a railing is enough, in fact. They all seem too low to me at 5 ft 11 in with a 33 in inside leg. Add to this that my balance is very poor and I still get occasional bouts of the medical vertigo that brought about my premature retirement some years ago. These days the Landscape Photographer of the Year exhibition is on the mezzanine of Waterloo station where I feel really queasy looking at the photos because they are along the edge where there are glass panels looking down onto the concourse below.

Anything on tv with a climber scaling a sheer cliff or stuntmen hanging off the sides ofbuildings has me squirming in my seat and chewing my fingers till everyone is safe again.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:53:41, 26/08/19 »
  Once I can put hand to rock on a regular basis I feel much more secure, the poles can go away and the exposure bothers me less. The unmentionable ridge route looks like that doesn't happen  - more like a tight rope walk.
If ascending you can walk slightly to the left of the crest of the ridge and use that as a handrail. You can also go on all fours, as I did on my first crossing, being a total novice with regards to scrambling.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:54:43, 26/08/19 »
I simply hate heights, and on numerous occasions have accidentally found myself on precarious rock ledges by total accident.
The South face of Pen YR Ole Wen was a classic example, where i managed to almost get myself trapped on a technical bit of scrambling, that was way beyond my capabilities.

Since then, am i very selective in the walks i undertake, checking first the entire route, and possibility of tricky ground.

Ive traversed Bwlch Main a few times over the years, and in favourable conditions it poses few problems.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:56:39, 26/08/19 »
I simply hate heights, and on numerous occasions have accidentally found myself on precarious rock ledges by total accident.
The South face of Pen YR Ole Wen was a classic example, where i managed to almost get myself trapped on a technical bit of scrambling, that was way beyond my capabilities.

I was traversing the steep South ridge path, and totally by accident, took a bit of scrambling in on my way, and the scrambling became rock climbing  VERY VERY SCARY.

Since then, am i very selective in the walks i undertake, checking first the entire route, and possibility of tricky ground.

Ive traversed Bwlch Main a few times over the years, and in favourable conditions it poses few problems.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:48:57, 27/08/19 »
Mel, just seen Whitstable Dave’s photo of the ridge, and it doesn’t seem nearly that narrow when actually walking it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:47:17, 27/08/19 »
That's good to know RR - cheers  O0

I've just been checking my diary to see if there's any way I can fit a visit to Wales into September.... apparently I can't  :(  So it will most likely be next year.  Plenty of time to get hill fit though  :)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:52:31, 27/08/19 »
Mel my other half and I have done it a few times now including in wet and windy weather. I’m not bothered personally, but swmbo does not like exposure yet she was fine with it as it really is not that exposed at all, you’ll be fine.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:51:07, 27/08/19 »
Cheers Phil, that's good to know.  I've decided I'm going for it and have even got a few other walks in the area lined up as Plan B walks if the weather's kak.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:04:41, 27/08/19 »
Cheers Phil, that's good to know.  I've decided I'm going for it and have even got a few other walks in the area lined up as Plan B walks if the weather's kak.
Would you like a gps trace?
Solvitur Ambulando

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:14:09, 27/08/19 »
Hi Mel, I did this route last Summer and I'm a bit rubbish with exposure too. It was a very clear day and I have to admit I got wobbly legs and kissed the ground when I got to the other side  ;D .

The thing is it's such a beautiful path up, far quieter than the Pyg/miners and the scenery is fantastic. The scary bit is very short. I remember I was OK upto a point where all of a sudden the path was on the edge of the cliffs, a wide path but it made my legs wobble. I crawled across it using my hands but then rounded the corner and it dropped away on the other side although by this time there were rocks to hold onto the other side. There was one bit where you have to let go of the handholds and step up onto a narrow strip of path with drops on both sides but then it gets alot better and there are handholds and the drops are further away.

Bare in mind I am a wimp though and there were little kids skipping past me not holding onto anything  ;D . I can't remember how to post pics here it's been that long or I would show you. Why not try it anyway, you can always just retrace your steps down if it's too much.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:07:37, 27/08/19 »
I took this photo looking back along the ridge. Ignore the pointy bit in the background, the people are just at the start of it where you join the ridge if you come up the Rhyd Ddu path. It's airy but doable.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:38:47, 28/08/19 »
Dizzy - that's a brilliant account, thank you.  You've probably just described my anticipated crossing style too  ;D

clyoung - fantastic photo!  If the bit in the foreground is "it" then I'll be fine.  If it's the bit in the mid-ground below the point thing then I will definitely be crab-walking it  :D   .... what is the pointy thing in the background?

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:35:58, 28/08/19 »
clyoung - fantastic photo!  If the bit in the foreground is "it" then I'll be fine.  If it's the bit in the mid-ground below the point thing then I will definitely be crab-walking it  :D   .... what is the pointy thing in the background?
I think that's the continuation along the South Ridge of Snowdon.

What you can't quite see from this picture is that there's no rock on either side for a short section, but as you can see it is quite wide. There is more of the ridge after the point where I turned back to take this photo, but it's all similar. There's one bit where there are effectively two narrow paths running in parallel, your choice will depend on which way you think you're more likely to fall over  ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:11:23, 28/08/19 »
Lol at that last bit  ;D   Cheers for clarifying  O0

Would you like a gps trace?

Sorry ninthace, I missed this earlier.  Cheers but I already have my route map - I only use GPS for spot-checks and tracking my walk (I'm a dinosaur, I know  ;D  ). Thanks for the offer though  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy