Author Topic: Way of Love... where are you?  (Read 2388 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Way of Love... where are you?
« on: 20:10:25, 13/03/21 »
Not having the best time health wise at the moment, feeling absolutely rubbish this morning, so either a day lying on settee or get some fresh air. Guess the lying on the settee wouldn’t be interesting on here! Have recently extended ‘walks from front door’ to all parts of the area, one footpath I’ve not been able to find is marked on map, ’Way of Love’, been along here a couple of times having never seen access from farmers track. So I’ll walk the other way round and see where I come out on this route. Met a friend suffering from effects of long covid, really concerned as her half pay is ending and still not feeling well enough to return to work. Next to where we were talking was the remnants of a brick wall lying all over the grass, some lad had borrowed his mams car for a 5am ride in the snow with his mates….
After heading through a local village came across a busy road, just couldn’t find a gap between traffic to cross, eventually making a dash for it, to the sound of car horns! Entering large farmers field, route was supposed to be straight across but was full of turnips, with no sign of where to cross. Noticed a few boot prints had headed down the left side of field so followed them, arrived at bottom of field, boot prints now turned right
Coming to end of turnip field, looking across to Durham.

Next challenge was coming across a fast flowing muddy stream, just that bit too wide to jump across, the far backside being above takeoff. An old tree trunk was lying across so followed a couple of boot prints to here, looked a bit dicey but here goes… made it, nay bother. Then around corner discovered not only a bridge, hiding behind a bush, but a pathway! Ah well next time!

Now then where to go, no sign of any track, just a lush grass field. Climbed up bank and could see a couple of horses in the distance, which I recognised from walking around the other way, so off towards edge of field looking out for anyway through to join track. Nothing found but barbed wire fence all around field, no way through, spotted a metal gate, climbed over. So no wiser to how this relatively new ‘Way of Love’ route goes through here. Back on familiar ground...

... headed back and of course entered the local mud from hell way!

Never met anyone until I reached the popular ‘Trod’, next to the Alpaca field. Back home feeling slightly better just absolutely shattered… a walk too far maybe! Oh that's now over 300 miles of walks from front door!
« Last Edit: 20:48:08, 13/03/21 by Dodgylegs »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Way of Love... where are you?
« Reply #1 on: 20:37:19, 13/03/21 »
Sorry to hear that you are not in good health right now - always good to get out, even if you are not feeling on top form. Looks like a nice local walk, the stream and the woodland path look lovely; the less said about turnips and mud, the better.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:47:09, 13/03/21 »
Thanks Richard... another lovely walk, and spotted a few more paths to explore.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:30:10, 13/03/21 »
Hope the fresh air picked you up a bit Dodgy.
Clambering over the stream on the tree and then finding the bridge  ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:32:04, 13/03/21 »
How Man Dodgy,  was the bridge not marked on your map, man.

This link may lead you to the path of love.

https://www.thisisdurham.com/northernsaints/trails/the-way-of-love-p1054061
Too little, too late, too bad......

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:23:25, 14/03/21 »
I have got mud envy  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:03:16, 14/03/21 »
Ridge.. Walk in fresh air didn't help much, awaiting hospital treatment, soon hopefully.
           At least the bridge gave me a good laugh!

Howay man jimbob... if the path on map gans across a turnip field, you divint, to avoid damaging them. Ganin roond ootside of field, like others, teks one to arrive at stream at a different place to actual path marked on map, like. Cannot see bridge marked on map anyway!
Know all about route shown for Way of Love, but no signs or gates/styles at this point. I'll be back investigating!

pleb... this muddy way is right by the motorway, hidden from wind/sun so never seems to dry out. Always something to look forward to!

watershed

« Reply #7 on: 17:34:23, 14/03/21 »
You take care Dodgylegs and get yourself sorted.
Spring is coming and I'm looking forward to more of your Posts. O0

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:59:50, 14/03/21 »
You may be able to plot the route onto your nap using those gpx files on your computer.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:40:18, 14/03/21 »
Watershed, thanks you for kind comments and the message, appreciate it. O0

Jimbob, I don't normally nap!  ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:39:55, 14/03/21 »
Ah finger trouble there.

I wouldn't nap on them muddy paths either.

But you could plot the tracks onto your map.  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:51:43, 15/03/21 »
Hope the docs don't keep you waiting to long, Dodgy.

The Way of Love does tend to be rather elusive in my experience.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:15:48, 15/03/21 »
Some interesting escapades and a good mudfest there, but a therapeutic walk I'm sure  O0 I hope things improve soon.

Looking at the referenced Way of Love map, maybe it's for people who would love to get out of Hartlepool and move to Durham (well, those easterly winds are real biters on the coast!)  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:59:28, 15/03/21 »
Just caught up with this TR.  Had to chuckle at your stream crossing -v- bridge just hidden out of view moment  ;D

Glad you managed to get out despite feeling rubbish.  Hope things improve for you  O0

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:29:54, 15/03/21 »
Jac ... Hospital appointment Saturday.
         same experience here with Way of Love! :D

vghikers...Thanks for comments.  O0
               I've never met more friendly folk than Hartlepudlians!

Mel.... I knew at least you would have a chuckle Mel  ;)
          Thanks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy