Author Topic: Where will yours be?  (Read 7299 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Where will yours be?
« on: 18:34:24, 22/03/21 »
Your first “day walk” after Lockdown is lifted?

Reading GrumpyPhart’s “That was hard work” topic got me thinking..

Where are you planning to get to once travel restrictions are lifted?

A rucksack and walking boots/shoes jobbie (remember those?!)

Will it be new territory or will it be a familiar place that’s just a bit too far away at the moment?

I’ve decided mine will be up on the Wolds.  Most likely after work on the very first day that we can.  Might even take the afternoon off for the adventure (my boss has been warned!).

It’s a walk I’ve done lots of times before and I observe my fitness / stamina levels by it.  Lots of up and down in 6 miles.  It’ll be interesting to see where my fitness / stamina is at after such a long while.

Soooo, where will yours be?

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Where will yours be?
« Reply #1 on: 18:48:02, 22/03/21 »
I'll be walking with a good friend I haven't walked with for months, and it'll a gentle hike in before doing Cam Crag Ridge.  Followed by a drink and a proper catch up, I'm even tempted to carry the drinks with us and have a catch up on the top to be honest...  May end up doing Raven Crag whilst I'm there depending how busy everything looks.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:02:37, 22/03/21 »
Hopefully a bimble up to Illgill Head and Whin Rigg from the Irton Pike car park.  That's the plan touch wood.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:06:04, 22/03/21 »
Nice one, Mel

I'm assuming that 29 March is the date we no longer have to stay at home and that 'stay local' is advisory not mandatory on and from 29.
In which case I will not roam far - probably fifteen miles or so to a country park which encompasses a hill - yes, a hill:)

I'll probably wait til after Easter before heading to the 'proper' hills of the Peak District.
Skip

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:26:24, 22/03/21 »
Not planned any where.  I will take a look at the weather first. Then choose a suitable walk. Either up on the moors or on the SWCP.  O0

Little Foot

« Reply #5 on: 19:30:28, 22/03/21 »
Where abouts in the Wolds will you be walking Mel?

I've a few walks that I've been considering. I'd like to walk a bit of the coast, maybe Robin Hood's Bay to Scarborough (did you see Kate Humble's programme showing the walk a couple of weeks ago?).

I'm also considering around Hebden Bridge. It does look lovely there.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:04:05, 22/03/21 »
Got my eye on the Howgills again, nice and quiet, and not too far for me. I really do want to visit "the other Langdale".

I've also been eyeing up Longsleddale, a walk up onto Harter Fell via Wrengill Quarry, then maybe Branstree and Sleddale Fell if I am feeling keen. Parking is tight though, so I will have to be early for that one.

PS - good choice of subject, Mel  O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lee R

« Reply #7 on: 20:22:53, 22/03/21 »
We've been down on the Mendips a few times over the past few months.

Looking forward to be able to book overnight in the Brecon's though! Other half has been struggling a little so need to find some less strenuous areas to explore over there.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:28:53, 22/03/21 »
It will be somewhere on the South Downs between Brighton and Eastbourne.  I haven't decided exactly where yet but it will be great to be right out in the countryside on one of the walks I love.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:39:51, 22/03/21 »
Somewhere I might see spring lambs, if I can recall where I used to see them. :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:34:19, 22/03/21 »
Where abouts in the Wolds will you be walking Mel?

I've a few walks that I've been considering. I'd like to walk a bit of the coast, maybe Robin Hood's Bay to Scarborough (did you see Kate Humble's programme showing the walk a couple of weeks ago?).

I'm also considering around Hebden Bridge. It does look lovely there.

My first foray will be a South Cave / Drewton circuit - it's my benchmark fitness circuit!  It's only a 20 minute drive from work so easily doable after work when the clocks change.  Other regular wolds walks are Brantingham (nice steep hill), Raywell (lovely carpets of bloobies in the woodland) and Welton (another nice steep hill and orchids in the woodland).

Didn't see Kate Humble's programme - I'll see if it's available on catchup telly  O0

I've not forgotten about our head-scratching map reading walk - we'll have to get something sorted out when things are a bit more certain  :)

Hebden Bridge is a nice place.  I'm pretty certain I've done a walk there .... PLEBBBBBB.... seem to remember I did a walk here with you?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:33:47, 22/03/21 »
We will probably keep to Suffolk initially as I think it’s stay local instead of stay home, so we will venture a bit further than 5 miles or so, probably up to Dunwich. Then at the end of April you will hopefully find me struggling up the Howgill Fells, I say struggling as I have forgotten what a hill looks like!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:44:37, 22/03/21 »
We'll be doing our first walk that involves any driving since before the present lockdown - although the drive will only be about 4 miles.  :)

We're following a waymarked walk called the Canterbury Outer Ring, which does a circuit of the countryside around Canterbury. It's a little over 22 miles in length, but I've planned a 4 mile extension to get it up to a marathon distance.

The walk will also be a reconnaissance for a walk/run marathon at a later date when we'll travel light and try to beat the previous time. We're also thinking of doing the Outer Ring from home in June - about 34 miles. It's all quite exciting!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Little Foot

« Reply #13 on: 22:52:36, 22/03/21 »

My first foray will be a South Cave / Drewton circuit - it's my benchmark fitness circuit!  It's only a 20 minute drive from work so easily doable after work when the clocks change.  Other regular wolds walks are Brantingham (nice steep hill), Raywell (lovely carpets of bloobies in the woodland) and Welton (another nice steep hill and orchids in the woodland).

Didn't see Kate Humble's programme - I'll see if it's available on catchup telly  O0

I've not forgotten about our head-scratching map reading walk - we'll have to get something sorted out when things are a bit more certain  :)

Hebden Bridge is a nice place.  I'm pretty certain I've done a walk there .... PLEBBBBBB.... seem to remember I did a walk here with you?

I've been enjoying her programme. They are decent length walks with good info on what is on the routes. Last Friday involved walking to Whitby, so that's two episodes on the East Yorkshire coast, although yet to watch the last programme. It's on C5.

I'll have to look at doing some of those walks, although I will be using public transport to get to them. South Cave should be fine. I've been near some when walking the YWW but I fancy doing circulars around the towns in areas more hilly. I did a walk from Hedon to Patrington a couple of weeks ago, which was nice, but a bit flat, which is to be expected.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:41:48, 23/03/21 »
Cheviots for me, Hedgehope from Ingram, very therapeutic!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy