Author Topic: A stroll on the Coigach Peninsula  (Read 1043 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
A stroll on the Coigach Peninsula
« on: 15:00:20, 14/07/20 »
Having completed my treadmill trek from end-to-end of the Outer Hebrides, I decided to move on to Polbain on the Coigach Peninsula and repeat a walk we did last summer.

We were staying in a cottage that was in the most incredible location. The Summer Isles were little more than a stone's throw away (or seemed to be) and in the distance we could see the mountains of Skye and Harris. We drove a few times to do walks up mountains, but my wife likes the occasional flattish walk, so we did some walks straight from the cottage too...

...including this one that I re-walked on my treadmill this morning. With the actual walk still quite fresh in my mind, it was very enjoyable to repeat it in Street View.  8)

A couple of miles down the road from the cottage is the start of a beach. The view is towards the northern tip of Skye, but I'm not sure what mountains are in the photo:

This photo was taken about half way through the walk and it shows many of the iconic mountains of the Assynt. Included here are: (left to right) Suilven, Canisp, Cul Mor, Stac Pollaidh, Cul Beag, Ben More Coigach and Sgurr an Fhidhleir. We climbed only three of those and would love to do more!

As you can probably guess, this is a view over some of the Summer Isles:

As we arrived back at the cottage, we could see the roof from the road above. (It's in the bottom-left of the photo.):

I enjoyed that, so I'll do another walk near here on my next treadmill session!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: A stroll on the Coigach Peninsula
« Reply #1 on: 10:59:54, 16/07/20 »
Love Assynt, Torridon and the far North West. God's own country.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: A stroll on the Coigach Peninsula
« Reply #2 on: 12:19:13, 16/07/20 »
Love Assynt, Torridon and the far North West. God's own country.

I couldn't agree more Richard.  O0

Back in the days when I did camping holidays in Scotland by motorbike, I used to think Skye was my favourite place in the whole of Britain. Now, I can't decide between Assynt, the Uists and Harris. I still think Skye is amazing, but I prefer to go walking in places where there are hardly any people!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy