Author Topic: which tent?  (Read 3734 times)

M J B

which tent?
« on: 22:32:51, 23/05/07 »
Which of these two tents would you buy, if any?

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Vango-Banshee-200---Ss07.html

http://www.quechua.com/EN/Product_arborescence/mountain/hiking/hiking-tents/packing-tents/product_6539976/index.html

I dont want to be spending a small fortune. It will be just for myself but want the extra room for my backpack and so i can sort things out after a long day on the hills etc.

titaniumdude

Re: which tent?
« Reply #1 on: 23:42:34, 23/05/07 »
I dunno MJB.  They both look pretty similar.  Having said that the specs look similar too.  Is the Vango a single skin (or for that matter is the other one)?  I suppose the thing is 'what are you gonna use it for?'  Both those look like yhey were gonna be happy in a campsite.  If you were thinking of pitching at altitude I'd probably think again.  Having said thet most things that describe themselves as a 'tent' actually do the job in most circumstances.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 08:57:17, 24/05/07 »
I'd go for the second one MJB - the first one says 'sold out'.

But seriously, they do look pretty much the same, although there's no price on the second, but at 2 kilos it sounds good.    I agree with Titaniumdude that tents do tend to do what they say they'll do in most circumstances, so unless you intend high level, 4 season use you'll probably get away with either.

It's interesting how technology is going.   My first trekking standard tent, and I wanted aluminium poles because I was going high, weighed in at 2.5 kilos and cost considerably more than these.    I thought at the time I'd never be able to improve on that.    Then the Hilleberg came along at 2.1 kilos so I bought one just for the weight loss although I think the main weight loss is because your wallet weighs considerably less after buying one.    Now you can buy a 2 kilo tent with aluminium poles and get a fair bit of change from £100!

S.

mrscarpa

« Reply #3 on: 20:00:09, 03/06/07 »

I only have knowledge of the Banshee...its a belting tent. From looking at the pictures, I would say the Banshee seems more stream lined than the other, which could be an advantage in windy conditions. The front of the Quechua seems quite abrupt.

M J B

« Reply #4 on: 21:18:55, 03/06/07 »
thanx for the advice!
I got the decathlon one last week, not had chance to test it out yet! Put it up in the lounge and it seems alright. put it on the scales and its only 1880grams very odd, not sure why they say its 2kg.
Im going to use it for the coast to coast, if its still alive after that then bonus.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy