Author Topic: Very Happy Feet :)  (Read 1888 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Very Happy Feet :)
« on: 18:26:58, 08/09/17 »
I'm posting this in the "Gear" section because feet are fairly essential for walking and when they're faulty you get them repaired  ;D

Anyhow, I've just been to a chiropodist (a proper, medical one - not one of those that paints your toenails pretty colours!) for a foot MOT.

For a while now, on longer walks, I've been getting rather nasty blisters underneath some hard skin on the heels and soles of my feet.  Luckily, they don't burst during the walk and I only discover them after I've got home (that "aaahhh" moment when they become unfettered from all sockage and bootage and can wriggle in naked freedom  :o  ).

The foot-fiddler sorted that lot out for me and informed me I have (had) some corns which I was totally unaware of  :-[  and also a mild fungal infection on my nails (double  :-[   :-[  ).  I thought I had pretty good feet really, barring the hard skin so this was all quite a revelation to me and we had a good chat about what causes all this lot (walking and feet encased in "sturdy" footwear for hours on end apparently  :D  )

An hour later, I bounced out of there with new tootsies and advice to use Tea Tree Oil on the fungal nail infection and a pumice stone on the areas prone to hard skin, including where the corns were.

I'm looking forward to a walk on Sunday (albeit a local one) to test drive my new feet  O0

I feel like I've gone down a shoe size now all that hard skin is gone  ;D

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Re: Very Happy Feet :)
« Reply #1 on: 18:44:36, 08/09/17 »
Did the foot-fidler suggest a spot of dubbin to keep the skin flexible and waterproof Mel?  ;D

You could have alternatively posted this in the trip reports.

Good luck with the trial walk.

Regards Keith

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:51:17, 08/09/17 »
Well done Mel. I see a Podiatrist every six months to try to keep the trotters in shape. I also suffer from the nail fungal infection on a couple of toe nails but my big toe nails are extra thick and need professional trimming. At one stage I was using garden secateurs on them!  Last visit I was told that i had developed Metatarsalgia and new insoles have helped to alleviate that until I come to the top of the waiting list for whatever remedial they propose.

To my mind it's money well spent for keen walkers.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:23:40, 08/09/17 »
That T Tree oil seems to be the modern answer to all ailments. My chiropodist told me to use it mixed with Bio oil when on long walks. (a) to keep the skin supple but more important  to act as an antiseptic should anything go wrong and blisters form etc.
I actually mix it 50/50 with olive oil and oil my feet each morning and evening whether I'm going for long walks or not.  The chiropodist now has no hard skin to remove from my feet so I'm a happy bunny.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:38:28, 09/09/17 »
You could have alternatively posted this in the TRIP reports.

:D  I can see I need to keep a careful eye on you to make sure you TOE the line  ;)

Surprisingly, the foot fiddler did recommend I moisturise them (not with dubbin though!)

... At one stage I was using garden secateurs on them! 

:o  Sounds like you need to try Tea Tree Oil too  ;D

That T Tree oil seems to be the modern answer to all ailments. ...

Yes, I had a google of it last night and it does seem to be the new curer of all ills.  I'll see how I get on with it (or how long I can stand my house stinking of it  ;D  ).  I was told to use it neat on my nails and make a solution to spray in my shoes to kill of any nasties in there to prevent re-infecting my nails... I did mention I regularly spray my footwear with athletes foot spray to get rid of any nasty niffs but a squirt of tea tree oil solution will certainly "deodorise" pretty much anything  ;D

I remember reading somewhere (on this forum I think) about someone who used/heard of using Vicks Vaporub on their feet for its antiseptic and moisturising qualities... obviously these foot bugs don't like menthol / camphor smells  ???

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:35:30, 10/09/17 »
Good one Mel  ;D

Your post is very useful because we can spend hundreds of pounds on gear but if you don't take care of your feet it can all be wasted and become a very miserable pastime.    O0

Regards Keith

rambling oldie

« Reply #6 on: 07:55:14, 11/09/17 »
Yup, good feet are important to enjoying our walking.
Thought I'd mention my particular problemette,  I went to the doctor with persistent painful hard skin. On a 6 mile ramble, the last two miles were hurting. As I'm type 2 diabetic I shouldn't see a chiropodist without permission.  He sent me to a proper NH podiatrist who diagnosed restricted claw toes which pull upwards and put pressure on the balls of the feet.  Simple solution - he prescribed special inserts called an Orthosis and bingo! Comfy feet.  I wear them in every shoe/boot and never feel pain. 
So of in doubt about, speak to the doc first.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:40:25, 11/09/17 »
I think having problems with feet can sometimes be a bit of a taboo subject, particularly stuff like fungal infections, yet, untreated, it can have a big impact on walking comfort (be it that it's in your nails and they need an angle grinder to trim them or bad sweaty, cheesy, itchy feet syndrome that make your boots stink).

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:05:42, 12/09/17 »
OK - no taboos - a few weeks ago I had some discomfort on the ball of my foot. Thinking it was just a small cut as I go barefoot a lot I ignored it for sometime but when I did look realised I had (oh the shame) a veruca. I remember, as a child, friends sitting out of swimming lessons because they had......the V word - but never me.
Before I'd got round to treating it a walk took me through a very 'sloppy' cow yard - in sandals. Oh they were absolutely disgusting, filled with brown sticky stuff.
A week later I realised - Mr V had vanished :D

Coincidence?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:50:20, 12/09/17 »
It's always good to hear of holistic remedies to a problem Jac  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy